I don't wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by dead_elvis »

"The Kid Who Would Be King": Just the title evokes all kinds of delicious possibilities (For example: overly patriotic kids sign up for military at age 15, gets separated from their unit in Afghanistan, hilarity ensues. Or, kids from Afghanistan brought to the UK after saving the lives of a bunch of soldiers, and find that they are able to bamboozle their way to powerful positions by exploiting the shallow ignorant sort of multiculturalism many people practice using tokens of Afghan and middle eastern culture). But they're going with Arthur instead of Kipling? Fuck that waste of a good title and satiric opportunity.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Amazon sprung a trailer for The ABC Murders on me. John Malkovich as Poirot? What the actual fucking fuck? His accent is dinner-theater terrible, by the way.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 15:03
Amazon sprung a trailer for The ABC Murders on me. John Malkovich as Poirot? What the actual fucking fuck? His accent is dinner-theater terrible, by the way.
The greatest piece of film criticism ever uttered was by Lindsay Ellis when she described John Malkovich's acting style as: A dissatisfied Olive Garden customer
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

We saw this trailer before the Lego Movie 2 and it depresses me. Everyone is trying SO HARD and it's SO POINTLESS.

We also saw a trailer for a horrible-looking Christian movie (but I repeat myself) about a kid who falls through the ice and now I have a bet going with David about how long until we see his brother-in-law posting about going to see it, and if the praying hands emoji will be involved. :lol:

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 14:58
We saw this trailer before the Lego Movie 2 and it depresses me. Everyone is trying SO HARD and it's SO POINTLESS.

We also saw a trailer for a horrible-looking Christian movie (but I repeat myself) about a kid who falls through the ice and now I have a bet going with David about how long until we see his brother-in-law posting about going to see it, and if the praying hands emoji will be involved. :lol:
Wonder Park looks lame.
But check out this gem YooToob recommended after I watched that trailer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

The new Top Gun is Chinese censor approved.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 13:26
The new Top Gun is Chinese censor approved.

They want to sell those merch jackets in China, too, after all.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

There is a colorable argument that the 1986 patch is his dad's patch, and the 2020 patch is his own patch from the deployment portrayed in the 1986 film, and the commonality in design is merely because then Lt Mitchell of course had a hand in the Indian Ocean deployment patch.

Also fwiw, the new patch is probably better than the old one, as every insignia on it is real, period appropriate, and actual units that would have worked together.

The USS Galveston in the 1960s was WW2 era light cruiser that was still in service. And I don't know if we ever did any (public) joint ops with the Republic of China. Plus, no one else worked with the Japanese but us (US) until the mid 00's.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I did not know there was a new Top Gun movie coming out. What is the point?

I mean, I know one can ask that of all Hollywood remakes. But really, really, what is the POINT of this one? Ugh.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

For the love of man they aren't going to try to squeeze Val Kilmer into a cockpit are they? ARE THEY?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

JasonL wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 10:21
For the love of man they aren't going to try to squeeze Val Kilmer into a cockpit are they? ARE THEY?
ITS A GLANDULAR ISSUE YOU MONSTER!!!!!! VAL KILMER IS A NATIONAL TREASURE!!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"You can be my wingman anytime" is not the sort of vow one makes lightly.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote:For the love of man they aren't going to try to squeeze Val Kilmer into a cockpit are they? ARE THEY?
Iceman is the real hero of Top Gun and don’t you forget it mister.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Ellie wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 09:10

I mean, I know one can ask that of all Hollywood remakes. But really, really, what is the POINT of this one? Ugh.
An insatiable hunger for more homoerotic volleyball?

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Has Val Kilmer done anything worth watching since Heat?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Ellie wrote:

In theory, it could be an interesting meditation on American foreign policy that had purpose and passion (and costs) in the Cold War - but for almost the last 20 years, everyone's been dicking around trying to recapture lost glory instead of moving on to the present, much less the future.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Kolohe wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 14:15
Ellie wrote:

In theory, it could be an interesting meditation on American foreign policy that had purpose and passion (and costs) in the Cold War - but for almost the last 20 years, everyone's been dicking around trying to recapture lost glory instead of moving on to the present, much less the future.
Hey, we could reboot an 80's movie about moving to the future!
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 14:17
Kolohe wrote:
Ellie wrote:

Nah, Planet of the Apes was a 60s movie.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 14:24
thoreau wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 14:17
Kolohe wrote:
Ellie wrote:

Nah, Planet of the Apes was a 60s movie.
.... eh

nevermind
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 14:08
Has Val Kilmer done anything worth watching since Heat?
He was in that one Tenacious D video, and I enjoyed The Saint. Beyond that, haven't seen anything he's been in since, but The Ghost and the Darkness got good reviews and he got an award for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

No one is going to mention Willow?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 08:10
Most of us experience time as a linear progression where terms like 'before' and 'after' have meaning.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Well it depends on what you consider worth watching. The Island of Doctor Moreau is an absolute train wreck of movie if you like that sort of thing.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 14:52
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Most of us experience time as a linear progression where terms like 'before' and 'after' have meaning.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 15:11
Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 14:52
Pham Nuwen wrote:
They use a vestigial mode of time measurement
based on solar cycles. It's not applicable.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT