I don't wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by dead_elvis » 24 May 2017, 16:20

Um no, pretty sure no one outside of Kenny Loggins has been waiting for Top Gun 2.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opi ... story.html
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 May 2017, 16:41

I'll watch the hell out of the RiffTrax, though!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 May 2017, 19:36

dead_elvis wrote:Um no, pretty sure no one outside of Kenny Loggins has been waiting for Top Gun 2.

And the guy inside Kenny Loggins is really only in it for the volleyball scene.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Jun 2017, 23:32

Film critics need to retire.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Jun 2017, 22:53

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jun 2017, 06:20

dead_elvis wrote:Um no, pretty sure no one outside of Kenny Loggins has been waiting for Top Gun 2.

I dunno, I think it would be pretty interesting to see how the irradiated, mutated remnants of humanity managed to survive and pick up the pieces after the devastating worldwide nuclear war which started when Maverick turned the Cold War hot by shooting down several MiGs in hostile territory.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Jul 2017, 17:12

That Valerian movie looks truly awful.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Jul 2017, 17:56

dbcooper wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:12
Man who loves Suspiria disdains movie that is all visuals and no plot. Hmmm.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Jul 2017, 17:59

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:56
dbcooper wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:12
Man who loves Suspiria disdains movie that is all visuals and no plot. Hmmm.
I saw the trailer and the visuals look like ... Attack of the Clones. Factor in the awful leads, and the has-been director, and it isn't looking good.

I'd genuinely like to be wrong on this.

Luc Besson’s space romp Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets is fun if you can stand the dumb

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Jul 2017, 18:17

The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover. Euro-trash is back, while sci-fi will need to lick its wounds for a while. Dane DeHaan, who has starred in two of the most egregiously bloated misfires of the year with A Cure for Wellness and now this, should do a couple of indie films, while Cara Delevingne needs to learn there is more to acting than smirking and eye-rolling. Rihanna should pretend this never happened. And the Hollywood studio chiefs can breathe easy that, this time, at least, they'll escape blame for making a giant summer franchise picture that nobody wants to see, since this one's a French import.
Yikes.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Jul 2017, 12:29

I'm trying to recall the last good movie that Besson directed, and I'm pretty sure it was Leon.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jul 2017, 14:02

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 12:29
I'm trying to recall the last good movie that Besson directed, and I'm pretty sure it was Leon.
The Fifth Element was kind of OK, but I keep wondering what I'm missing that people give it so much praise.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jul 2017, 14:18

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 14:02
Hugh Akston wrote:
The Fifth Element was kind of OK, but I keep wondering what I'm missing that people give it so much praise.
You kidding? What's not to love about 5thE?
Take it away Mikey
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Jul 2017, 15:48

It's just such a visual spectacle and fun and entertaining and knows not to take itself too seriously. I like that the moral of the story is so childishly simplistic, that they somehow turn that negative into a positive. Even something as fun as guardians of the galaxy movies look ponderously philosophical by comparison.

We saw that in the theater, and when the diva goes from the aria to the dance music and starts popping the arm flapping move the theater just completely erupted. So much fun.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Jul 2017, 21:46

lunchstealer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Yeah I'm a little surprised it gets so much love. When it was initially released it was a box office disappointment and didn't even make back the money spent on it. It's a quirky movie with some wild visual designs but people now talk about it like it's some kind of classic. I enjoyed it at the time for what it was but narratively the thing is kind of a mess. It does have a lot of memorable moments but the parts between those don't always make a lot of sense. But people over time tend to remember the things they like and mentally scrub out the weak bits.

My best comparison to it might be David Lynch's Dune. It bombed hard at the box office and also played fast and loose with the source material angering some purists. However, I saw it fairly young and the unique visuals and general vibe of it were cool to me then as well many of my friends, even if we didn't quite understand everything in it at the time. Over the years it seemed to gain a kind of classical status it didn't possess when it was made.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jul 2017, 21:55

Painboy wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:46
lunchstealer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Yeah I'm a little surprised it gets so much love. When it was initially released it was a box office disappointment and didn't even make back the money spent on it. It's a quirky movie with some wild visual designs but people now talk about it like it's some kind of classic. I enjoyed it at the time for what it was but narratively the thing is kind of a mess. It does have a lot of memorable moments but the parts between those don't always make a lot of sense. But people over time tend to remember the things they like and mentally scrub out the weak bits.

My best comparison to it might be David Lynch's Dune. It bombed hard at the box office and also played fast and loose with the source material angering some purists. However, I saw it fairly young and the unique visuals and general vibe of it were cool to me then as well many of my friends, even if we didn't quite understand everything in it at the time. Over the years it seemed to gain a kind of classical status it didn't possess when it was made.
I think Besson is why I don't really like Oldman. Zorg is ... he's just a shitty villain. And his EVERYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE! in Leon (at least the American version - can't recall if I've even seen the un-re-cut version) just completely pulls me out of the film.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jul 2017, 00:04

As I recall, La Femme Nikita was good. The Professional is great. The Fifth Element is a lot of fun, though deeply flawed plot-wise. I have heard that Adele Blanc Sec movie is good. If this is like the Fifth Element, it'll be worth the (matinee and before noon) ticket price.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jul 2017, 07:37

The Fifth Element was basically the Heavy Metal movie that the actual Heavy Metal movie didn't manage to be. It's an action space opera with a simple plot. Action, spectacle, and a goofy sort of charm are the points.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jul 2017, 09:46

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 07:37
The Fifth Element was basically the Heavy Metal movie that the actual Heavy Metal movie didn't manage to be. It's an action space opera with a simple plot. Action, spectacle, and a goofy sort of charm are the points.
Heavy Metal ruled, plus it gave rise to one of the best South Park episodes.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 11:13

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 09:46
Eric the .5b wrote:
Thank you. I'm glad someone noticed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Jul 2017, 17:44

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
+1

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jul 2017, 17:51

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Eh. The Heavy Metal movie was a stunted flower in a drought. It's fondly remembered for the same reason some people like Wizards.

Though, obviously, it's not simply terrible like Wizards is.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jul 2017, 19:49

T5E may be my second favorite sci fi flick after Blade Runner.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jul 2017, 19:52

Jasper wrote:T5E may be my second favorite sci fi flick after Blade Runner.
That's madness

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jul 2017, 22:20

Yeah, Blade Runner is a snooze.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.