I don't wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by Highway » 16 Jul 2017, 22:34

Ellie wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 22:20
Yeah, Blade Runner is a snooze.
Hehehe. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2017, 10:58

At first I thought "Brilliant idea! A comedy about 9/11 with Charlie Sheen and Whoopie Goldberg" and then I saw that it was not a comedy. No thank you.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2017, 12:05

dead_elvis wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:58
At first I thought "Brilliant idea! A comedy about 9/11 with Charlie Sheen and Whoopie Goldberg" and then I saw that it was not a comedy. No thank you.

[Trailer]
I'll pass too.
Have either of them done anything this century that wasn't a garbage fire?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Jul 2017, 12:15

Does anyone aside from the publicists for Charlie Sheen, Whoopie Goldberg and Gina Gershon want this movie to exist?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Jul 2017, 12:31

He's unstoppable! Well, at least until spring.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2017, 12:46

Warren wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 12:05
dead_elvis wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:58

[Trailer]
I'll pass too.
Have either of them done anything this century that wasn't a garbage fire?
Thing is, I'm actually disappointed- a madcap farcical comedy with those two, set amongst possibly the most sacred event of this century in the minds of USians, *could* be brilliant, and every now and then casting people like that works. But playing it straight? Pfffft. I want the Hanson Brothers, not the Hanson Brothers trying to play old time hockey.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jul 2017, 12:48

my 9/11dinner with hiv positive cocaine addict andre!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Jul 2017, 12:59

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 12:31
He's unstoppable! Well, at least until spring.

When I saw the preview still image on the YouTube video, I thought it was a remake of that horror movie Jack Frost with the killer snowman :D

When will trailers stop doing that thing of "music getting louder and more tense, scenes flashing at increasing speed -- suddenly the music stops dead and we get one last clip"? It feels sooooooo formulaic and tired.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Jul 2017, 21:00

The new Soderbergh movie looks really awful. Very "quirky".
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Aug 2017, 09:59

Well, evidently the Dark Tower sucks.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Aug 2017, 21:16

When I first heard that Amazon was coming out with an alt-history series called "Black America" I was looking forward to it, because I read that it specifically would address the question "What if freed slaves actually were given reparations for their labor after the Civil War?" (If the slaves actually were paid for their labor, and also if ex-Confederates were kept out of voting booths for at least a generation, I suspect a lot of Jim Crow nastiness and entrenched generational black poverty could've been avoided.)

Instead, turns out the premise is that after the war, freed slaves were given the states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama for their very own country. Which falls on the wrong side of the "plausible alternate history" line for me -- the federal government had just fought a war specifically to prevent certain states from seceding; no way would they win the war and then give away various states anyway. Especially not Louisiana, where the Mississippi River opens into the Gulf of Mexico and thence into the ocean.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2017, 00:17

Jennifer wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 21:16
Instead, turns out the premise is that after the war, freed slaves were given the states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama for their very own country. Which falls on the wrong side of the "plausible alternate history" line for me -- the federal government had just fought a war specifically to prevent certain states from seceding; no way would they win the war and then give away various states anyway. Especially not Louisiana, where the Mississippi River opens into the Gulf of Mexico and thence into the ocean.
Yeah, that setup is silly. And the additional idea, that this tiny country is an economic super-power while White America is in decline, after over a century of the US undermining it, attacking it, and attempting coups?

We have a part of the world where that sort of history played out, and it's called "South America".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Aug 2017, 00:47

Jennifer wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 21:16
When I first heard that Amazon was coming out with an alt-history series called "Black America" I was looking forward to it, because I read that it specifically would address the question "What if freed slaves actually were given reparations for their labor after the Civil War?" (If the slaves actually were paid for their labor, and also if ex-Confederates were kept out of voting booths for at least a generation, I suspect a lot of Jim Crow nastiness and entrenched generational black poverty could've been avoided.)
Only Louisiana, Mississippi and South Carolina were majority-black in the reconstruction era. A couple others, like Alabama, had 40% plus black populatons and suppression of "Ex-Confederate" voting rights might have given them black governments.

Due to the dearth of educated blacks in the area at the time, I doubt the black population could have fielded an effective governing class.

I suspect the resentment created by the policies you suggest and the poor government that would ensue would have engendered far more savage Jim Crow laws, if not outright race war.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Aug 2017, 00:51

Aresen wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 00:47

Due to the dearth of educated blacks in the area at the time, I doubt the black population could have fielded an effective governing class.
I'm only half-snarking when I counter: You mean, compared to the effective governing classes the likes of Alabama and Mississippi have enjoyed in the actual reality we have now?

Looks like Alabama's on track to vote Roy Moore to fill the Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Aug 2017, 01:04

Aresen wrote:

I suspect the resentment created by the policies you suggest and the poor government that would ensue would have engendered far more savage Jim Crow laws, if not outright race war.
Hard to say -- that's where a good writer of alt-history would have a lot to work with -- would the resentment be any worse than our own history's southern white folks who for generations (and arguably, still) never got over their basic resentment over black people not being literal chattel slaves anymore? Had the occupying Union forces been firmer about cracking down on the early KKK and similar terrorist groups, things might not have gotten as out of hand as they did.

And also -- again, depending how things worked out -- "You participated in armed insurrection against this country, ergo you don't get to vote anymore (though your kids still can once they're of age)" is still a hell of a lot better than the alternatives, which included ".... so you go to prison" or "...so we hang you by the neck until you're dead." In the actual history we have, a lot of postwar racial problems in the former Confederacy can be boiled down to "They lost the war, but we let them win the peace." Which was a big mistake.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Aug 2017, 01:07

Jennifer wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 00:51
Aresen wrote:

I'm only half-snarking when I counter: You mean, compared to the effective governing classes the likes of Alabama and Mississippi have enjoyed in the actual reality we have now?
I was well aware of the low general level of education in Alabama in the reconstruction era, both white and black, but at least the whites had a cadre of people who were literate. Most blacks were completely illiterate at the time - a few states supposedly had laws forbidding teaching blacks to read and write.

Once the central government ceded authority back to the former confederate states, at least the white ruling class had the basic knowledge to actually run a government, however venal.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Aug 2017, 01:20

Aresen wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 01:07
Jennifer wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 00:51
Aresen wrote:

I was well aware of the low general level of education in Alabama in the reconstruction era, both white and black, but at least the whites had a cadre of people who were literate. Most blacks were completely illiterate at the time - a few states supposedly had laws forbidding teaching blacks to read and write.

Once the central government ceded authority back to the former confederate states, at least the white ruling class had the basic knowledge to actually run a government, however venal.
Banning ex-Confederates from voting would not equate to banning all literate people from voting -- there still would've been northern "Carpetbaggers" who went south hoping to cash in on rebuilding the ex-Confederate states, plus however-many white men didn't join the Confederate army or avoided the draft somehow. (Besides, it's not as though all white men were literate in those days, either.) Also, there was the (tiny) minority of already-free black people, many of whom were literate -- I'd guess that if black people's right to vote had actually been respected, coupled with keeping the armed insurrectionists out of the voting booth, most of the early postwar Southern politicos would've been heavily drawn from the "free before 1865" black population.

Given how bad our actual post-war southern history was, I'm not at all convinced that the alt-history of "denying ex-Confederates the vote" would've been worse.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Aug 2017, 01:39

Speculation: in such a scenario -- ex-slaves can vote, ex-Confederates cannot -- it's even possible there might've been an exodus of black people leaving the north and moving south. After all, anti-black racism was sadly prevalent all throughout the country, not only in the former Confederacy; perhaps northern blacks would've enjoyed moving to states where they're not merely the majority of the population, but had the actual political power of a majority. (Within limits, of course; even a black-majority state could never have gotten away with passing Jim Crow-in-reverse laws against white people -- no way would the white Supreme Court have voted on a Plessy v Ferguson that gave white people the short end of the stick.)

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Oct 2017, 18:56

Well this just sounds awful.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/hugh- ... 202026235/
Brett Ratner is re-launching development on a Hugh Hefner biopic project through his RatPac Entertainment, which has optioned the life rights to the Playboy magazine founder.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Oct 2017, 05:49

I never imagined I'd be grateful Douglas Adams died so young.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Oct 2017, 10:18

the innominate one wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 05:49
I never imagined I'd be grateful Douglas Adams died so young.

[VIDEO]
Yeah, I caught an episode of that. Seems like years ago now. It's awful. Dirk Gently is decidedly not Dr. Who. Not in the books at any rate.
So I don't understand your sentiment. Were he alive this abomination could not possibly have come into being.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jan 2018, 23:04

Just caught a trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp. Is there a plot? Is there a villain? Is there humor? Do the characters have personalities of any kind? No one can say.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 Feb 2018, 15:26

Ellie wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 23:04
Just caught a trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp. Is there a plot? Is there a villain? Is there humor? Do the characters have personalities of any kind? No one can say.
That's how trailers are supposed to be! Modern trailers that give away the plot are bad. It's a Marvel movie, you already know what's going to happen in the movie. Eric starts rolling downhill in his wheelchair, loses control, goes over a cliff, and lands in a pond, drawing the attention of "Mac." Duh.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 Feb 2018, 15:32

I might have wanted to see the Amazon Jack Ryan show, but the trailer has a terrible cover of "All Along the Watchtower." That's happened before, but it won't happen again.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Feb 2018, 18:09

Jack Ryan - Cold War = Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR