I don't wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2010, 20:55

A thread for TV shows, movies, etc. that make you wince just thinking about them.
Last edited by thoreau on 17 Oct 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Re: I don't wanna see that!

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2010, 20:55

Vanilla Ice apparently has a home improvement show coming out.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dbcooper

Re: I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by dbcooper » 17 Oct 2010, 21:00

This sounds like absolute torture:

http://www.avclub.
com/articles/rock-n-roll-fantasy-camp,46214/

I must admit that I would like to see (once, and edited) a bunch of horrible, corpulent middle-aged idiots banging out a truly ear-destroying cover of "takin' care of business" by BTO or some shitty boomer rock.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Oct 2010, 14:23

Ugh. Colossus: The Forbin Project may get the Will Smith treatment. Ugh.

http://www.avclub.
com/articles/finally-the-ron-howardwill-smith-scifi-remake-youv,46648/

Well that's better than Denzel Washington yelling at a computer or casting Josh Hartnett as a scientist, I suppose.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Oct 2010, 16:51

that there's a greenday musical on broadway still bothers me weeks after finding out about it. (by walking past the theatre and having one of those HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK moments. i hate new york sometimes)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Oct 2010, 18:36

dhex wrote:that there's a greenday musical on broadway still bothers me weeks after finding out about it. (by walking past the theatre and having one of those HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK moments. i hate new york sometimes)
I'm waiting for American Idiot on Ice.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 21 Oct 2010, 18:41

You know what would be really awesome?

Black Sabbath: Paranoid! On Ice!

(If Andrew Lloyd Weber did it, though, it would just be called Sabbath!)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Oct 2010, 18:47

I wonder what sort of cult following Faces of Death... on Ice! would accumulate.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Oct 2010, 01:15

Jake wrote:I wonder what sort of cult following Faces of Death... on Ice! would accumulate.
It seems to get pretty high museum numbers, actually.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 22 Oct 2010, 11:27

dhex wrote:that there's a greenday musical on broadway still bothers me weeks after finding out about it. (by walking past the theatre and having one of those HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK moments. i hate new york sometimes)
Agreed, but I don't think it's actually particularly a New York thing. If anything, the musical strikes me as aimed more at the "We're going to New York, and OMG! we have to see the Green Day musical!!!" crowd.

I don't know what to think about Green Day and their musical, actually. It seems really hypocritical and self-important, but I suppose if somebody came to me and said, "We want to pay you a kajillion dollars to make a (cheesy, mainstream) musical out of your work," I'd probably just shrug, sign on the dotted line, and continue shrugging all the way to the bank.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Oct 2010, 12:49

I watched the first episode of Steven Seagal: Lawman on hulu. Wow.

It's worse than COPS, unfortunately. You now how sometimes on COPS, the cameraman will catch up with the fleeing suspect before the officers do? Not here. In fact, even during the Chase Scene, the camera is focused exclusively on SS's car, and they don't show the fleeing car at all. SS:LM seems to have been shot totally in re-enactment mode with him yelling directions over the radio to units that have already caught the bad guy and had someone run out for coffee.

Also, he tutors an officer in Zen Pistolcraft, but the guy only passes his qualifier by 1 point (out of 125), so maybe Steve should revisit Pedagogy 101.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Oct 2010, 17:03

Far be it from me to question the wisdom of people who have proven themselves time and again in the art/business of movie-makin', but really Pixar?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 22 Oct 2010, 17:45

Cars is arguably Pixar's only feature failure. Why they would want to go to that well again is puzzling.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Oct 2010, 17:53

Cars grossed $244 million to a budget of $120 million. Considering that you can still find Cars-related merchandise in discount stores some 4 years later, my guess is that teh kidz love Cars even if adults tired of the conceit within about a half hour.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2010, 19:09

J sub D wrote:Cars is arguably Pixar's only feature failure. Why they would want to go to that well again is puzzling.
I think it was adult failure but kid gold, which is failure by Pixar standards. All my friends kids talk about 'mater and it has far outlived it's movie life in kiddie merchandise. Dunno. It smells of Disnification.

Edit: Or, what Hugh said before I said it.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 22 Oct 2010, 20:21

J sub D wrote:Cars is arguably Pixar's only feature failure. Why they would want to go to that well again is puzzling.
THEY ARE OWNED BY DISNEY.

Sorry. Disney basically only has Pixar and bullshit, so they make money where they can.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Oct 2010, 02:02

NICOLAS CAGE YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION STAR PLEASE STOP DOING THIS TO US.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2010, 02:32

I had a mild crush on Nicolas Cage back when he did cool quirky movies like Vampire's Kiss and Raising Arizona. But the action crap . . . my crush dissolved when I saw this one horrible movie "Firebirds" that was basically Top Gun redone, only with helicopters instead of fighter jets, and drug smugglers for bad guys instead of Commies (or whoever).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

PicassoIII

Post by PicassoIII » 27 Oct 2010, 10:27

Not every actor can be super selective.
1 - Gotta eat.
2 - Try not to be typecast.

Action hero? Not so much. Action anti-hero, i.e. 'The Rock' getting warmer.
It wasn't perfect, but i really liked 'Lord of War'.
Need to see 'Matchstick Men'.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Oct 2010, 11:13

Hugh Akston wrote:NICOLAS CAGE YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION STAR PLEASE STOP DOING THIS TO US.
That looks awful.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Oct 2010, 13:39

You make a good point PicassoIII. Nic has had some pretty high-profile financial troubles of late. But I hate to see a guy who has made many movies that I enjoy make even more movies that are godawful crap. I wouldn't be this upset about Keanu making bad action movies, because I never particularly cared for him, but Nicolas Cage has done some quality stuff.

Matchstick Men is wonderful, BTW.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Oct 2010, 14:53

Hugh Akston wrote:You make a good point PicassoIII. Nic has had some pretty high-profile financial troubles of late. But I hate to see a guy who has made many movies that I enjoy make even more movies that are godawful crap. I wouldn't be this upset about Keanu making bad action movies, because I never particularly cared for him, but Nicolas Cage has done some quality stuff.

Matchstick Men is wonderful, BTW.
Do these guys simply suck ass at financial management? A dude who has whored himself out that consistently should be rolling in it. Pretty sure Brendan "Can't Say No" Frazer is sitting back in the black.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

PicassoIII

Post by PicassoIII » 27 Oct 2010, 14:57

Sandy wrote: Do these guys simply suck ass at financial management?
This should be a rhetorical Q.
Every other pro athlete or rapper, no?

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 Oct 2010, 15:02

PicassoIII wrote:
Not all of them to be sure, but growing up in poverty (most jocks and rappers) does not seem conducive to sound personal finance management. Look up the $10 million lottery winners ten years later and you'll want to slap them. Repeatedly.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Oct 2010, 15:21

J sub D wrote:
PicassoIII wrote:
Not all of them to be sure, but growing up in poverty (most jocks and rappers) does not seem conducive to sound personal finance management. Look up the $10 million lottery winners ten years later and you'll want to slap them. Repeatedly.
Which you'll be able to get away with because they won't be able to afford good lawyers.

Truth be told, though, most of the middle class sucks at personal finance, too.

(If only because it's another opportunity to plug The Wire, the fictional counterexample of Stringer Bell stands out as one of the most brilliant television characters ever.)