I don't wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jun 2018, 14:18

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 04:31
Good on them if they do, as that's probably the hardest market to successfully go after.
I have to wonder who this is aimed at. There seems to be a formula of starting with an appeal to the nostalgia audience while flinging a few bones of contemporariness to see what sticks to the wall of the youngins. But I'm not sure contemporary adult writers would be brave enough to preserve the central dynamics that made Daria work; detached irony and sarcasm are Officially Disapproved of in These Difficult Days of the Resistance. But if they can go for that, and succeed, bravo for catching lightning in a bottle twice. This generation shouldn't be denied its basic human right to not give a shit about what the olds are freaking out over.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jun 2018, 15:22

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 14:18
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 04:31
Good on them if they do, as that's probably the hardest market to successfully go after.
I have to wonder who this is aimed at. There seems to be a formula of starting with an appeal to the nostalgia audience while flinging a few bones of contemporariness to see what sticks to the wall of the youngins. But I'm not sure contemporary adult writers would be brave enough to preserve the central dynamics that made Daria work; detached irony and sarcasm are Officially Disapproved of in These Difficult Days of the Resistance. But if they can go for that, and succeed, bravo for catching lightning in a bottle twice. This generation shouldn't be denied its basic human right to not give a shit about what the olds are freaking out over.
And/Or decide they give a shit about something and even act on that without doing it in a way that lets older Blues vicariously enjoy either the clap-emoji-filled or fist-raised RESISTANCE!!!111one styles they prefer.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jun 2018, 15:42

thoreau wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 12:16
Based on the entertainment industry's moves over the past decade, I can only assume that Congress passed a law banning the creation of new IP in movies and TV shows.
Eh, plenty of new shows it there not based on existing IPs*. But MTV actually putting together a show-necromancy department is more than a little weird. I know they have to do something with the trademarks to keep them, but selling a little retro merch would cover that.

*Rick and Morty being a great case in point. Yeah, it was originally based on an off-color Back to the Future parody, but look what they did to it, afterward. They filed down those serial numbers, then they actually started doing something new from the inspiration. That's how a lot of original media properties have always happened: new stuff inspired by old things. The Flintstones instead of a caveman Honeymooners reboot. (And if the "Western culture is imperiled by the copyright laws that don't let me sell my hentai re-edit of 'Steamboat Willie'!" crowd had their way, I suspect we'd have something closer to a few more clips with Marty licking Doc Brown's balls rather than what we have with R&M.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Sep 2018, 14:30

This is totally going to go over well by everyone.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... -new-movie
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2018, 09:49

Mo wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 14:30

Oh God No
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2018, 10:38

Mo wrote:

Despite his flaws, Polanski is a talented director. I would be very interested in a movie about the Dreyfus affair.

Would you want Michael Bay or Rian Johnson to direct the story?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2018, 11:10

Aresen wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 10:38
Mo wrote:

Despite his flaws, Polanski is a talented director. I would be very interested in a movie about the Dreyfus affair.

The movie isn't the problem. You might think that because of the thread title. It about the holocaust this movie is going to ignite. We're all going to get burned by it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2018, 11:37

Warren wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 11:10
Aresen wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 10:38
Mo wrote:

The movie isn't the problem. You might think that because of the thread title. It about the holocaust this movie is going to ignite. We're all going to get burned by it.
Point conceded and that would be true even if Polanski made a mea culpa confessional movie. It is a pity, because the subject matter will get overlooked in the firestorm.

As a movie, the one thing that worries me about the film is the tendency of 'message' pictures - especially ones about antisemitism - to hammer THE MESSAGE into the audience's skulls to the point where the characters become cardboard portrayals of 'good' and 'evil.' This is even more true of French films than Hollywood.*

*See the film "Z" by Costa-Garvas. (Fun moment - in one of the scenes in 'Z', the hero-prosecutor questions one of the 'bad guy' military, who claims he is being persecuted. The hero asks the bad guy "Do you think you are like Dreyfus?" to which the bad guy angrily retorts "Dreyfus était coupable!" - "Dreyfus was guilty", which was French literary code for saying that the bad guy was utterly despicable.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Sep 2018, 11:48

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

Sure, but my question is how much will it be about the Dreyfus affair and how much of it will be about Polanski himself, with the Dreyfus affair as a cover.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2018, 13:36

Mo wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 11:48
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

Sure, but my question is how much will it be about the Dreyfus affair and how much of it will be about Polanski himself, with the Dreyfus affair as a cover.
I have no doubt that he intends to wrap himself in a Dreyfus cloak. But that's going to work best if he makes a good movie. If he plays fast and loose with the facts to cut them to his fit, that's going to bite him in the ass. In any event, if there's money behind this, and it gets wide distribution, the resulting tweetalanche will burst through everywhere and bury us all.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2018, 14:19

OTOH, a Rian Johnson film would be about how Esterhazy and Picquart had a secret plan to save France from Teddy Roosevelt that required Dreyfus be sacrificed.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Oct 2018, 14:44

Guillermo de Toro is making Pinocchio for Netflix. It will probably be legit terrifying.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Oct 2018, 17:52

Mo wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 14:44
Guillermo de Toro is making Pinocchio for Netflix. It will probably be legit terrifying.
I'm not into horrifying fairy tales, because meh, but I do like the idea of a big fuck you to Disneyfied saccharine bullshit.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Oct 2018, 04:13

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 17:52
Mo wrote:
I'm not into horrifying fairy tales, because meh, but I do like the idea of a big fuck you to Disneyfied saccharine bullshit.
Pinocchio is only Disneyfied saccharine compared to the original story. But the Pleasure Island scene is freaky shit.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Oct 2018, 05:45

Anything to erase the memory of Roberto Benigni.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Oct 2018, 16:03

lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:
Right on. Fairy tales should terrify kids into obedience, not entertain them with stories they can relate to.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Oct 2018, 18:14

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 16:03
lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:
Right on. Fairy tales should terrify kids into obedience, not entertain them with stories they can relate to.
Bambi was too syrupy for me at age 3. I'm fine with fun reimaginings, but I'm also down with giving Disney's golden-age-of-Walt stuff a big middle finger. Bambi, Pinnochio, Snow White, Cinderella, all of it.

#TeamLooneyTunes #TeamFalcon #TeamHunter #TeamForestFire #DaffyIsTheAncientEgyptianGodOfFrustration #DonaldIsIDontEvenKnowWhatHeIsWTFIsDonaldAnyway

https://www.clickhole.com/he-s-not-a-go ... 1829132898
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Oct 2018, 10:33

My youngest loves Mickey from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I have no idea why. Mojito like Goofy, which makes way more sense.