I don't wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: I don't wanna see that!!!!

Post by Kolohe » 04 Feb 2018, 23:55

Actual Cold War Jack Ryan is only two books tbh.

The sin is making him a generic Bond Bourne. Which they may not be doing, but the trailer certainly looks like they want you to think they're doing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 04 Feb 2018, 23:59

Kolohe wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 23:55
And those were the good books.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Feb 2018, 00:33

Sandy wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 23:59
Kolohe wrote:
I think you are giving too much credit to those two books.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 05 Feb 2018, 00:35

Aresen wrote:
Sandy wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 23:59
Kolohe wrote:
I think you are giving too much credit to those two books.
In relative terms, but they were good reads.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Feb 2018, 07:41

I liked Patriot Games and Clear & Present Danger better than Cardinal. I think I liked Sum of all Fears and Debt of Honor better than Cardinal.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Feb 2018, 17:56

Kolohe wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 07:41
I liked Patriot Games and Clear & Present Danger better than Cardinal. I think I liked Sum of all Fears and Debt of Honor better than Cardinal.
Debt of Honor was way over the shark for me, although it was clear that Executive Orders was Jack Ryan as Clancy's Marty Stu if-I-could-tell-everyone-what-to-do-I'd-fix-everything fantasy. I enjoyed Debt of Honor but it was silly.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Feb 2018, 19:09

Oh, executive orders was terrible, as was everything that followed. Debt of Honor was the last one where he was reaching, but was able to still touch the bar with his fingertips.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Feb 2018, 19:30

Rainbow Six was good for giving us the games, which inevitably became one man missions with Chavez.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 Feb 2018, 11:02

Ready Player One looks dumb.

At some point we need to have a year zero on pop culture nostalgia.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Feb 2018, 11:38

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 11:02

I dunno. It looks okay, but probably too young for my geezer tastes. I like the way Iron Giant has become a 'we nerds know it's good' thing.
As for pop culture nostalgia, year zero would have to predate Shakespeare.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 Feb 2018, 12:26

Warren wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 11:38
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 11:02

I dunno. It looks okay, but probably too young for my geezer tastes. I like the way Iron Giant has become a 'we nerds know it's good' thing.
As for pop culture nostalgia, year zero would have to predate Shakespeare.
For very strange definitions of pop culture and nostalgia.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 12 Mar 2018, 15:11

So it would seem that Cruise and Travolta now have an outlet for less creative endeavors, a new TV Channel.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Mar 2018, 16:33

Kwix wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 15:11
So it would seem that Cruise and Travolta now have an outlet for less creative endeavors, a new TV Channel.
Before I clicked on the link I thought, "What, 'Scientology TV'?"

Then I got there, blinked, and closed the tab.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Mar 2018, 20:08

Scientology is going down in flames. They use to know better than to speak openly to the public. But their members have been fleeing in droves and their finances are in "someone's going to prison" territory. They're desperate and they're hoping to turn the sea org around. It will backfire. Too many people are taking aim at them and they can't afford the muscle to deal with them anymore.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Mar 2018, 11:52

I've seen no fewer than 6 billboards for The Outsider with Jared Leto. I'll pass.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Mar 2018, 17:42

I can't wait to never watch the new Roseanne like I never watched the old Roseanne.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 20:07

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 17:42
I can't wait to never watch the new Roseanne like I never watched the old Roseanne.
I'm looking forward to not watching the new Roseanne as well. But not watching the old Roseanne was so 90's. I don't think it will be as good this time around.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Mar 2018, 22:02

Yeah, not watching will and grace just isn’t as satisfying these days.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2018, 22:09

I don't have cable, so I can't earn any 'not watching' points.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Mar 2018, 22:29

I admit, I'm getting some sick enjoyment from liberals freaking out about the show. Rather like those who got sick enjoyment from the reaction to Trump actually getting elected, except only about a sitcom revival that might not even get renewed.

I mean, gee whiz, an Illinois working-class character who was kinda liberal thirty years ago, but is now a grandmother, turned out to be a Trump voter? Even without knowing Barr is a trumpkin, that's not much of a twist.

The "OMG, stop trying to humanize 46.1% of voters in this country!" bleating is worth a few giggles.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Mar 2018, 23:16

I actually watched it. Her pro-Trump schtick was weak, and mainly so Barr and Laurie Metcalf would have a source of sitcom conflict in the pilot.

(that schtick was gone by the second half of the pilot, where the new setup was 2nd Becky using 1st Becky as a surrogate mom. And Sara Gilbert's son likes to dress fabulously)

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 23:22

Kolohe wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 23:16
I actually watched it. Her pro-Trump schtick was weak, and mainly so Barr and Laurie Metcalf would have a source of sitcom conflict in the pilot.

(that schtick was gone by the second half of the pilot, where the new setup was 2nd Becky using 1st Becky as a surrogate mom. And Sara Gilbert's son likes to dress fabulously)
Both Becky's exist in the same show?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Mar 2018, 23:27

Yeah, they did a lot of breaking the 3rd (4th?) wall stuff throughout the episode. 1st becky is actually becky, and 2nd becky is 'wow, it's like I'm looking in a mirror, we could be the same person'

(The openning of the episode was a lampshade on John Goodman not being dead. Later a garage scene where they come across a spiral notebook with supposedly stories Roseanne was writing)

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 23:31

Kolohe wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 23:27
Yeah, they did a lot of breaking the 3rd (4th?) wall stuff throughout the episode. 1st becky is actually becky, and 2nd becky is 'wow, it's like I'm looking in a mirror, we could be the same person'

(The openning of the episode was a lampshade on John Goodman not being dead. Later a garage scene where they come across a spiral notebook with supposedly stories Roseanne was writing)
Wow. Either they shot their load during foreplay, or they've got some new coherent vision for the show and they want to get all that shit out of the way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Mar 2018, 23:44

Based on the first episode (and some other reading), it looks like they want to focus to be on the Becky/Darlene/DJ generation and their kids. (Darlene has two, DJ has one) Which could possibly work, especially as a 'realistic' counterpoint to the sachrine version provided by Fuller House. (which is on its 3rd season, so it's working out for someone).

The writing was a bit uneven overall, and Barr's acting was, well, not effortless. (her timing was off enough in parts I'm surprised they didn't re-shoot). Metcalf's was weirdly try-too-hard as well. Weirdly, because she's like Oscar caliber now