Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Twitter!

Post by nicole »

Way fewer institutions controlled by the right though.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Random selection from a thread of people being surprised WHY IS ANYONE SURPRISED BY THESE NUMBERS

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Because millennials are all still twenty-somethings living in cheap studios or big group houses in San Francisco.

Alternatively, because it turns out that most unmarried childless people are childless and unmarried and social circles clump.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jadagul wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 17:07 Because millennials are all still twenty-somethings living in cheap studios or big group houses in San Francisco.

Alternatively, because it turns out that most unmarried childless people are childless and unmarried and social circles clump.
Yes, I can see a certain logic to that claim.

Speaking of which, where did you end up for housing in D.C.?
Mo

Post by Mo »

nicole wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 07:16 Way fewer institutions controlled by the right though.
I mean aside from a majority state houses, 2.5 of the 3 branches of the federal government, law enforcement and the military, what does the right control? I guess not everything is Twitter and CHAZ.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 18:13
nicole wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 07:16 Way fewer institutions controlled by the right though.
I mean aside from a majority state houses, 2.5 of the 3 branches of the federal government, law enforcement and the military, what does the right control? I guess not everything is Twitter and CHAZ.
I mean, I wasn’t limiting institutions to government.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

nicole wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 19:08
Yeah, but while the Left has academia, the media and Hollywood, my sense is that Silicon Valley and its clones lean libertarian. Private corporations will play both sides of the street but folks who subscribe to the Wall Street Journal are fairly reliably economic conservatives. I'd say religion is still roughly 50/50. Jews and mainline Protestants are liberals, Evangelical Protestants are conservatives, Roman Catholics are conservative on some issues, liberal on others.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:35
Yeah, but while the Left has academia, the media and Hollywood, my sense is that Silicon Valley and its clones lean libertarian. Private corporations will play both sides of the street but folks who subscribe to the Wall Street Journal are fairly reliably economic conservatives. I'd say religion is still roughly 50/50. Jews and mainline Protestants are liberals, Evangelical Protestants are conservatives, Roman Catholics are conservative on some issues, liberal on others.
In my experience tech companies are pretty lefty. They definitely dislike the anti-intellectualism of the right. They may be a little more market friendly because that is who is paying the bills. But if there is a large libertarian segment they do a pretty good job of staying hidden at my work.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Painboy wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:56
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:35
In my experience tech companies are pretty lefty. They definitely dislike the anti-intellectualism of the right. They may be a little more market friendly because that is who is paying the bills. But if there is a large libertarian segment they do a pretty good job of staying hidden at my work.
I can only report what my older son tells me. The VCs and the high tech companies in Northern California definitely want as little interference from the government as possible. Yeah, the likes of Google and Facebook and such are embracing the regulatory state but that's still the exception to the rule. I get the sense from him that many are more libertarian than they are willing to acknowledge because of the general liberal NoCal culture and they're clearly all for zoning to protect their grotesquely overpriced homes thanks to building restrictions. Anyway, I said lean libertarian; they're not rushing out to join the LP, that's for sure.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I read Nicole's comment as referring to the cultural left in institutions, and as a follow-up to a discussion of cancel culture. Whatever people in Silicon Valley think about economic issues, they seem to be more at risk of being canceled over discussions of race or gender or culture, not marginal tax rates. Intellectual Dark Web types get letters from people saying "I'm afraid to like and share your article on diversity", not "I want to like and share that article on regulation of financial services but I need my paycheck."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 00:05 I read Nicole's comment as referring to the cultural left in institutions, and as a follow-up to a discussion of cancel culture. Whatever people in Silicon Valley think about economic issues, they seem to be more at risk of being canceled over discussions of race or gender or culture, not marginal tax rates. Intellectual Dark Web types get letters from people saying "I'm afraid to like and share your article on diversity", not "I want to like and share that article on regulation of financial services but I need my paycheck."
Fair point and, yes, my comments weren't responsive to that so, given the Gryll's longstanding and absolute rule against thread drift, let me take this opportunity to apologize profusely, acknowledge that I have a great deal of learning and growing to do and humbly request to take the next Gryll-think reeducation class.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Thread appropriaton is LITERAL GENOCIDE, BOOMER!!!1!!1111!!!!

More seriously, though, think of my comment less as an attempt to undo thread drift and more about adding yet another layer. Institutions are multifaceted, and a given sector could be politically heterogeneous in one regard, utterly dominated by a single ideology in another regard, and largely apolitical in some other way.

It could be that the people who interface most often with regulatory issues are libertarian while the rest of the company tends left, but because the most dangerous political and social dramas concern cultural issues, their overlapping social liberalism makes it hard to tell the difference between the libertarians that your son perceives and the liberals that Painboy perceives.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Mo

Post by Mo »

I know and neither am I, but they’re still kinda important institutions. Also I think Painboy and DAR are both correct. The rank and file lean left, but the leadership leans right/libertarian. Also, re: canceling people, corporations will flip on a dime based on what they perceive the public wants. I don’t think senior leadership has changed their political views that much between the time when the Dixie Chicks got canceled and today, it’s just which way they see the social winds on the ground going.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 03:00
I know and neither am I, but they’re still kinda important institutions. Also I think Painboy and DAR are both correct. The rank and file lean left, but the leadership leans right/libertarian. Also, re: canceling people, corporations will flip on a dime based on what they perceive the public wants. I don’t think senior leadership has changed their political views that much between the time when the Dixie Chicks got canceled and today, it’s just which way they see the social winds on the ground going.
Well, we were recently acquired and I don’t think that quite describes the issue with current leadership but that’s all I’ll say in front of the veil other than...hopefully I won’t be dealing with it much longer.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I think the thing is the right wing institutions are out in the open about it in large part and nobody outside their shop is holding them up as The Truth or Just the Data, or Unbiased Checkers of Facts. The institutions controlled by the left do present themselves that way. If you do it and point out that Fox does it too, that's fine, but you don't get to do that an continually act like you are a higher standard of truth telling.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mo wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 03:00
One thing that does seem to be different is the prominence of staff revolts right now. Dixie Chicks were cancelled because audiences (and consequently advertisers) revolted. Media outlets are being shaken up at least in part by staff revolts. And with the ACLU, I've heard no evidence that donors are driving the woke shift.
--Mo
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Not to derail with rando twitter stuff, but...

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 11:06 I think the thing is the right wing institutions are out in the open about it in large part and nobody outside their shop is holding them up as The Truth or Just the Data, or Unbiased Checkers of Facts. The institutions controlled by the left do present themselves that way. If you do it and point out that Fox does it too, that's fine, but you don't get to do that an continually act like you are a higher standard of truth telling.
Eh, the right side also claims their view is the view of “real Americans” and the silent majority. Also, FB’s claim that they’re neutral about violations and their policy, while bending over backwards for conservatives fits the opposite side (https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... iro-2020-3).

I would also say there are lots of places that claim to be on the liberal side with their PR, but mostly just do lip service.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 14:08
JasonL wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 11:06 I think the thing is the right wing institutions are out in the open about it in large part and nobody outside their shop is holding them up as The Truth or Just the Data, or Unbiased Checkers of Facts. The institutions controlled by the left do present themselves that way. If you do it and point out that Fox does it too, that's fine, but you don't get to do that an continually act like you are a higher standard of truth telling.
Eh, the right side also claims their view is the view of “real Americans” and the silent majority. Also, FB’s claim that they’re neutral about violations and their policy, while bending over backwards for conservatives fits the opposite side (https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... iro-2020-3).

I would also say there are lots of places that claim to be on the liberal side with their PR, but mostly just do lip service.
I mean, that's FB's claim for what they allow publicly, but it's like, an open staff revolt over that policy.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I found a true thing.

Twitter is wild bacause the dumbest people are like "Mayhaps you have slandered me with that ad hominem" and the smartest people are like "my dog is a chonky boi"
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Mo

Post by Mo »

nicole wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 14:25
Mo wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 14:08

I mean, that's FB's claim for what they allow publicly, but it's like, an open staff revolt over that policy.
But to prove my point, they’ve done fuck all to change their behavior aside from publish pablum in the face of the open staff revolt, so it can’t be that big. The other part being part of the open staff revolt is due to partisan tilting of the playing field.

nicole

Post by nicole »

We shall see. There’s a lot of pressure on this rn. Like, way more than ever before.

Mo

Post by Mo »

nicole wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 18:08 We shall see. There’s a lot of pressure on this rn. Like, way more than ever before.
I suspect they’re more worried about pressure from an administration flip than they are from employees. There’s no way to measure it, but if FB was guaranteed a Trump re-election they probably would continue with press release strategy and minor policy edits. I think one way to see if it’s internal pressure vs politics is if Kaplan continues to head policy shop or if they split out his job in two.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 18:15
nicole wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 18:08 We shall see. There’s a lot of pressure on this rn. Like, way more than ever before.
I suspect they’re more worried about pressure from an administration flip than they are from employees. There’s no way to measure it, but if FB was guaranteed a Trump re-election they probably would continue with press release strategy and minor policy edits. I think one way to see if it’s internal pressure vs politics is if Kaplan continues to head policy shop or if they split out his job in two.
Normally I’d be the first one to totally agree with that.

Agencies and the trade press are going hard now in a way that, I don’t know, has me thinking maybe it’s a thing. I don’t know. Maybe there are many layers of that that are more superficial than I currently feel like they are. See also our earlier exchange.

Mo

Post by Mo »

It could be a thing, but it’s probably due to the the 15 bales of straw already on that camel’s back. Like when being a major contributor to genocide is in a list of things that are making your employees upset about your corporate ethics, but not the main thing, you’re in a bad place.