Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Twitter!

Post by lunchstealer »

Mine got run out of antebellum North Carolina for being abolitionists, and went on to help found Homo sapiens floridensis (my father being a hybrid between H. sapiens floridensis and H. canadensis).

More seriously, one was a clipper ship captain out of Nova Scotia who made seven circumnavigations of the world in his career, and according to lore, his last voyage ran into a violent nor'easter or hurricane as it approached Nova Scotia, and his crew wanted to abandon ship. Knowing the odds, my great-great grandfather loaded six pistols (revolvers were a very new thing at the time), lashed himself to a mast, and said the crew was welcome to abandon ship but he'd shoot the first six men who went for the life boats. The ship came through the storm, damaged but floating, and they made it to port for everyone to safely get off, before it sunk in the harbor.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 11:07 This has been going around for a few days and every time I see it I'm just like....they were poor and had babies.
Same
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I don't know many specific stories about ancestors, but I know some broad details, and also one odd statistical anomaly: my mother is the younger of only two children in her family, separated by a 24-year age difference. Her sister/my aunt was an obstetric nurse, who assisted in my mother's birth and my own. My grandfather was born in Poland in the 1890s, in a tiny village on the current Russian-Polish border. I don't know how old he was when he came here, but he married my 15-year-old grandmother in Connecticut sometime in the 1920s. My grandparents were Polish Catholics, and I was infant-baptized in that church, but come to find out my mother's and grandmother's maiden names are not merely Polish, but Polish-Jewish, and a lot of people with those last names are on the list of Polish Holocaust victims today, so it's doubly good my grandfather or his parents, plus my grandmother's ancestors, got TFO of Poland when they did.

On my father's side, when I was little I thought our family came from Holland, until he explained we are not "Dutch" but "Pennsylvania Dutch," which is to say German. Plus one Irish ancestor who I think came here to escape the potato famine.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Oh yeah, and on my mother's side, the family has been in America for about 300 years, and we even have documentation that the family manumitted its last slave. (I mean, that also means "my family owned slaves", which is not super-cool, but...)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Because I'm an awful person, I could spend the rest of my life scrolling through the #dollypartonchallenge memes
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 20:34 Because I'm an awful person, I could spend the rest of my life scrolling through the #dollypartonchallenge memes
*click* *scroll, scroll, scroll*
meh. It's just another thing on the twitters.

How did it come by the name though?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 21:41
Hugh Akston wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 20:34 Because I'm an awful person, I could spend the rest of my life scrolling through the #dollypartonchallenge memes

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
She (or possibly whoever manages her social media) started it:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 21:44
Warren wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 21:41

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
She (or possibly whoever manages her social media) started it:

Thx
Hers is better than all the one's I looked at.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I found this twitter feed a while ago, and it's quotes from books or songs paired with an image. Some of the pairings are excellent and tell quite the story with just a sentence and a picture. I had to google both the quote and the image source for this one, but it's among the favorites I've seen so far:

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Re: the ancestor thing, I told the brief story of my great grandfather.

As told to us kids by my grandmother, he was quite a character in his youth, back in Poland. One time, the village constable or whatever passed as cops back then, threw him in jail becasue they found out he liked to dress up as a ghost and scare passengers on passing trains. While in the clink, he found some scraps of wood and twine and build himself a crude violin of some sort, and serenaded the cops so badly, for so long, they let him out before the chief magistrate or whoever could hear his case.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I don't have any point to make about the issues raised in this thread, I am just amused by this tweet. It sounds like one of those law firm commercials. "You may be entitled to compensation."

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

#jadagulproblems
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 11:34 I don't have any point to make about the issues raised in this thread, I am just amused by this tweet. It sounds like one of those law firm commercials. "You may be entitled to compensation."

I have seen that claimed in reverse, though she was also pissed at old lesbian friends' hostility toward men, including trans-men like her husband. "Fuck it, I'm a straight woman."
nicole

Post by nicole »

I will not reply, “because they didn’t have abortions.” I will not reply, “because they didn’t have abortions.” I will not reply, “because they didn’t have abortions.”

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I'm not sure what the critics want. It looks like she had access to quality healthcare. They thought she was fine, until she wasn't. Unless I missed something the article never says she was uninsured or the cause was lack of prenatal care. Why the fuck people posting about #medicareforall.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
nicole

Post by nicole »

dead_elvis wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 11:37 I'm not sure what the critics want. It looks like she had access to quality healthcare. They thought she was fine, until she wasn't. Unless I missed something the article never says she was uninsured or the cause was lack of prenatal care. Why the fuck people posting about #medicareforall.
Because they're choking on the black pill.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JD

Post by JD »

The San Miguel Sheriff's Department of Telluride, CO advised Twitter users that Highway 145 was blocked by a "large boulder the size of a small boulder".

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

One stone makes you larger,
One stone makes you small,
And the ones the sheriffs warn of,
Don't do anything at all...
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 12:31 The San Miguel Sheriff's Department of Telluride, CO advised Twitter users that Highway 145 was blocked by a "large boulder the size of a small boulder".

That tweet is my spirit animal. Like - I identify with it SO DAMN MUCH.

And I said this elsewhere but will repeat it here: I actually think the description works, too.

Like, it's big enough to be large, but small enough to be small. Like, nobody's going to mistake a 15' high boulder for a small boulder, but nobody's going to mistake a 3' wide boulder for a large boulder. You say both large and small, and boom, you get a range of maybe 5'-8' in any dimension. Like, it's not the size of an F-150 but it's too big to fit in the bed of an F-150. It's a large boulder the size of a small boulder.

I'm here for this you guys.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Just spent a solid twenty minutes looking at 1994 Corel clip art

https://twitter.com/Clipart1994bot
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

nicole

Post by nicole »

every innumerate is a policy failure

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

nicole wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 14:36 every innumerate is a policy failure

I suspect reminding people that you can also just treat it as multiplying and then moving the decimal point over two spots is even easier for them, though. People usually get taught to figure out the easier order to multiply by, at least in my experience.