Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Twitter!

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2019, 15:59

nicole wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:33
If "they/them" are used for singular, why isn't it "because they was hungry"?
Because that's how singular they has been used since at least Chauncer's day.
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 18 Oct 2019, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2019, 16:04

I have to admit, I think I'd rather use the awful xe/xir/xem/xeir pronouns that the poster doesn't show than try to Bob Dole people.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Oct 2019, 16:13

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:59
nicole wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:33
If "they/them" are used for singular, why isn't it "because they was hungry"?
Because that's how singular they has been used since at least Chauncer's day.
Back when they didn't even spell-check proper names!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Oct 2019, 22:37

Slagathor confused by complicated pronouns.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Oct 2019, 10:52

Andrew wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:37
Slagathor slagathored by slagathored slagathors?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Oct 2019, 11:11

Pham Nuwen wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 10:52
Andrew wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:37
Slagathor slagathored by slagathored slagathors?
Exslagathorly.
Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 16:04
I have to admit, I think I'd rather use the awful xe/xir/xem/xeir pronouns that the poster doesn't show than try to Bob Dole people.
Those are covered under "Ze/hir/hirs ...and many more!"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2019, 20:10

"and the rest..." didn't cut it for the Professor and Mary Ann, Warren, and it doesn't cut it for pronoun sets. ;)

Given how long I used new-style Spivak pronouns for gender-indeterminate uses, I don't at all mind neopronouns, I just have aesthetic criticisms of some of the sets.

(I forget why I did new-style, as the e/em/eir Spivak with singular conjugation is the one that appeals to me, lately. Singular they is right there, though.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Oct 2019, 12:48

We should just use a language that doesn't have separate male and female pronouns. Sumerian, Hittite, Chinese, and Quenya all fit the bill.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Oct 2019, 12:58

thoreau wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 12:48
We should just use a language that doesn't have separate male and female pronouns. Sumerian, Hittite, Chinese, and Quenya all fit the bill.
Hasn't English generally simplified grammar over the last few centuries? We've dropped thee/thou/thine.

I propose we blend all third person singular pronouns thus: shit/shim/shis.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 Oct 2019, 13:22

Shim? Is there a possessive like say ... shem?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Oct 2019, 13:09

Poll: Which politician nom de tweet is better: Carlos Danger or Pierre Delecto?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Oct 2019, 16:54

Goddamn 2019 quit hogging the drugs.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Oct 2019, 10:39

thoreau wrote:
Chinese 'he' and 'she' are pronounced the same, but spelled differently. 他 vs 她
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 23 Oct 2019, 10:47

thoreau wrote:
Finnish, too; they only have hän. And Estonian (which is pretty close to Finnish, IIRC).
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Oct 2019, 11:19

Quenya is supposed to be inspired (in part) by Finnish.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2019, 11:23

thoreau wrote:
ASL, also!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Oct 2019, 11:26

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 11:23
thoreau wrote:
ASL, also!
But does it have any connections to Quenya? Finnish does, so Finnish is obviously better.

Now, if you wanted to use BSL (Beleriand Sign Language) that would be different.

Interestingly, Entish does have different words for "him" and "her", but the difference doesn't show up until the 80th syllable.
--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2019, 12:01

Episcopal Twitter: last week, a pastor explaining her interpretation of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well as Jesus trying to bone her. (Thirsty Jesus as thirsty Jesus, she explains.) Twitter being Twitter took it up a notch this week, pointing out that while she called it a consensual encounter, the inherent power dynamic between the parties meant Jesus was a harasser.
And she’s like, I don’t think your bucket is big enough for my well. But she’s softening up a little. And he’s like, you have no idea how I could get your well gushing.

... He says “I know you’re a naughty, slutty girl,” but she takes that the wrong way, and there’s a little bit of an argument here.

Somehow the argument resolves, something about worshipping his mountain, and she runs off to tell her friends about him.
We have this problem every time we use erotic desire as a metaphor for the relationship between humans and the Divine. Can any human truly consent to a sexual encounter with God? The power dynamic would seem to make it impossible.

... To anyone who was triggered or harmed by my presentation of Jesus you experienced as a harasser, I am deeply sorry.
Oh, internets.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Oct 2019, 15:16

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 12:01
Episcopal Twitter: last week, a pastor explaining her interpretation of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well as Jesus trying to bone her. (Thirsty Jesus as thirsty Jesus, she explains.) Twitter being Twitter took it up a notch this week, pointing out that while she called it a consensual encounter, the inherent power dynamic between the parties meant Jesus was a harasser.
And she’s like, I don’t think your bucket is big enough for my well. But she’s softening up a little. And he’s like, you have no idea how I could get your well gushing.

... He says “I know you’re a naughty, slutty girl,” but she takes that the wrong way, and there’s a little bit of an argument here.

Somehow the argument resolves, something about worshipping his mountain, and she runs off to tell her friends about him.
We have this problem every time we use erotic desire as a metaphor for the relationship between humans and the Divine. Can any human truly consent to a sexual encounter with God? The power dynamic would seem to make it impossible.

... To anyone who was triggered or harmed by my presentation of Jesus you experienced as a harasser, I am deeply sorry.
Oh, internets.
Yeah? What about his dad going after young virgins?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Oct 2019, 15:16

Aresen wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 15:16
Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 12:01

Oh, internets.
Yeah? What about his dad going after young virgins?
Well, there were no old virgins, so....

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Oct 2019, 17:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 13:22
Shim? Is there a possessive like say ... shem?
WE ARE ALL POSSESSED OF THE SHEM IN OUR OWN WAY
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2019, 23:29

Slagathor
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Oct 2019, 02:59

I haven't tweeted that much with my new account, and I had not previously used it to interact with Nicole Cliffe. Nonetheless, when someone I'm following quoted her I learned that I am blocked from viewing Nicole Cliffe's tweets.

I am baffled what I could have done to offend her.
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Oct 2019, 03:26

thoreau wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 02:59
I haven't tweeted that much with my new account, and I had not previously used it to interact with Nicole Cliffe. Nonetheless, when someone I'm following quoted her I learned that I am blocked from viewing Nicole Cliffe's tweets.

I am baffled what I could have done to offend her.
You probably follow someone that her blocklist uses as a blocking criterion.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2019, 05:44

There's a lot of auto-blocking going around.