Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Twitter!

Post by JD » 17 Sep 2019, 10:08

Highway wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 07:19
dhex wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 06:38

Oh OK
Yeah, like shitheads like that would not start complaining after day 1 on the railroad, or humping trees up a mountainside. Although if you got any useful work out of those clowns at 18 dollars an hour for doing trades work, you'd be way ahead.
Also, I doubt "building railroads" is unskilled labor these days. Also I suspect that for building railroads and retrofitting buildings, you'd run into a lot of opposition from unions if you decided you wanted to pay randos $18/hour.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Sep 2019, 10:30

Bro lives in LA. There are plenty of landscape, railroad, and construction jobs available right now. Nothing stopping him from quitting his uh...podcast editing job and doing some real shit. Except maybe that they won't pay him to tweet all day.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Sep 2019, 10:49

hahdahfaksj;rlakj;rlkjds;lka;lskejr

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 17 Sep 2019, 11:00

I went and read some of the thread, and yeah, I had the same reaction - why exactly should we be taking financial/economic/planning advice from a guy who describes himself as a burnout making $16/hour and whose idea of a self-improvement plan is "people should give me stuff"?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Sep 2019, 16:13

Because free college or something.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Sep 2019, 17:28

Can someone explain this joke to me?

"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Sep 2019, 17:38

Ellie wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 17:28

[wild-ass guess] Um, maybe some type of "pen is mightier than the sword" reference? [/wild-ass guess]

(For what it's worth, I even did a Twitter search for "Lewandowski" and "pens" to see if there if it referred to some previous news story I'd overlooked -- nothin'.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Sep 2019, 17:40

Ellie wrote:

Lewandowski was charged with assault for grabbing a reporter at a Trump rally who was approaching Daddy with a pen. He claimed he thought it was a weapon.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 17 Sep 2019, 19:13

My company would hire him to plant trees, but I bet it's more work than he thinks it is. He wouldn't get $18 to start though without a bunch of skills he doesn't have, like... Knowing how to properly plant a tree.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Sep 2019, 21:41

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 17:40
Ellie wrote:

Lewandowski was charged with assault for grabbing a reporter at a Trump rally who was approaching Daddy with a pen. He claimed he thought it was a weapon.
Thank you so much! <3 <3

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Sep 2019, 13:22

Dangerman wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:13
My company would hire him to plant trees, but I bet it's more work than he thinks it is. He wouldn't get $18 to start though without a bunch of skills he doesn't have, like... Knowing how to properly plant a tree.
A lot of this stuff is the 2020 dem's build a wall. I don't think they realize it yet.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Sep 2019, 17:01

If someone puts “he/them” in their bio, does that mean he wants to be referred to with masculine singular third-person pronouns in the nominative case but third-person plural pronouns in the accusative case, or that he’s a fucking moron?

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Sep 2019, 17:05

nicole wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 17:01
If someone puts “he/them” in their bio, does that mean he wants to be referred to with masculine singular third-person pronouns in the nominative case but third-person plural pronouns in the accusative case, or that he’s a fucking moron?
*Standard grylliade response to a limited, non-exclusive dichotomy.*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Sep 2019, 17:29

Aresen wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 17:05
nicole wrote:
*Standard grylliade response to a limited, non-exclusive dichotomy.*
Wait

or

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Sep 2019, 17:46

nicole wrote:
Attachments
684707.jpg
684707.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 18 Sep 2019, 19:59

dhex wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 13:22
Dangerman wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:13
A lot of this stuff is the 2020 dem's build a wall. I don't think they realize it yet.
The fucking thing is that if we would love to hire someone who wanted to do the work. If this guy showed up he might get a job if he had some kind of experience and would take less money. There are a lot of companies looking for good help, but nobody wants to do the work. Wages are going up naturally.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Sep 2019, 22:26

Looking at responses to Dave Weigel's tweets is kinda sad. They're all MAGA-heads berating him for being a Soros plant and vaguely lefty-ish Blues berating him for being a dirty centrist (even as he rather obviously pulls for Sanders and Warren).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Sep 2019, 22:54

lol

That’s what you get for liking j lo or that stupid Versace dress.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Sep 2019, 23:24

I hadn't heard about this story at all, so I just looked it up and it actually sounds pretty cool! I didn't know that J Lo or her outfits had any part in why Google Image Search was created. Why would it bother people that she wore a dress to commemorate that? It makes the story MORE interesting, not less.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Sep 2019, 00:40

Ellie wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 23:24
I hadn't heard about this story at all, so I just looked it up and it actually sounds pretty cool! I didn't know that J Lo or her outfits had any part in why Google Image Search was created. Why would it bother people that she wore a dress to commemorate that? It makes the story MORE interesting, not less.
Because things that happen at an event in the fashion business should just be spontaneous and for the art or something.

(I got nothin'.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Sep 2019, 10:33

Ellie wrote:
BECAUSE CAPITALISM IS EVIL
I thought you got the memo on that.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Sep 2019, 10:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 00:40
Ellie wrote:
Because things that happen at an event in the fashion business should just be spontaneous and for the art or something.

(I got nothin'.)
Right? Like, I totally get people being upset if there's a viral video of a soldier coming home early and surprising her kid at school, or some other "spontaneous" event, and it turns out it's sponsored by Kleenex or something. But in this case it's "famous woman, who is constantly getting photographed for her outfits, is hired by fashion company to wear ugly dress in fashion show" or "famous woman, who is constantly getting photographed for her outfits, is hired by tech company to wear ugly dress in fashion show."

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Sep 2019, 11:33

Ellie wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 10:44
Eric the .5b wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 00:40
Ellie wrote:

(I got nothin'.)
Right? Like, I totally get people being upset if there's a viral video of a soldier coming home early and surprising her kid at school, or some other "spontaneous" event, and it turns out it's sponsored by Kleenex or something. But in this case it's "famous woman, who is constantly getting photographed for her outfits, is hired by fashion company to wear ugly dress in fashion show" or "famous woman, who is constantly getting photographed for her outfits, is hired by tech company to wear ugly dress in fashion show."
But it looks good on her though :roll: [/Rodney]
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Sep 2019, 18:32

DPRK News Service @DPRK_News
Marshal Kim Jong-Un donates electric toothbrush to Swedish climate activist.
[image of Gretta Thunberg]

Wasteful fossil fuel toothbrushes almost entirely phased out in DPRK.
Now I'm imagining a Philips Sonicare attached to a two stroke.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Sep 2019, 21:05

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 18:32

Marshal Kim Jong-Un donates electric toothbrush to Swedish climate activist.
[image of Gretta Thunberg]

Wasteful fossil fuel toothbrushes almost entirely phased out in DPRK.
Now I'm imagining a Philips Sonicare attached to a two stroke.
I’m imagining several more awful Goldbergian steps between the two stroke and the toothbrush.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL