Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Twitter!

Post by dhex » 19 Aug 2019, 15:25

Well that's a take I guess.

Thrifts in my frankly extensive experience tend to be pretty laden with the larger sizes unless you're on the upper east side.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Aug 2019, 15:47

My Midwestern experience is that thrift stores have a large (no pun intended) selection in the XL size but anything above that is very slim (again, no pun intended) pickings. What there is on the racks is fucking hideous. Waifs who buy those are doing a KINDNESS to fat ladies like me.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Aug 2019, 16:16

dhex wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 15:25
Well that's a take I guess.

Thrifts in my frankly extensive experience tend to be pretty laden with the larger sizes unless you're on the upper east side.
Yeah, the Goodwills around here tend to have plenty in the XL to XXXL range (and not much in small or med). Only the hipster vintage stores have much small/medium.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Aug 2019, 18:28

Just thinking out loud. If making custom clothes is your jam, buying oversized clothes and modifying them sounds pretty sweet. I'm sure it's easier to "take it in" than it is to "let it out". Especially if there's nothing to let out. And you can buy bits of lace and doodads, without having to buy half a bolt. My guess is it would be half the work, half the time, and twice the fun and making stuff from whole cloth.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2019, 18:32

I also think they're doing more than just "taking in" to reduce the size. They're playing with angles and contours and which parts are tight or loose in order to achieve a look. That's easier when you have more starting material rather than less. And while they might have less flexibility than if they started from scratch with plain fabric, some of the work has already been done for them if they buy clothes at thrift stores.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Aug 2019, 19:00

Thrift stores are where I buy clothes to wear in the barn.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Aug 2019, 20:19

Aresen wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 19:00
I assume "the barn" is how you refer to the world.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Aug 2019, 20:29

Pham Nuwen wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 20:19
Aresen wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 19:00
I assume "the barn" is how you refer to the world.
Naw that's the strip club where he dances.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Aug 2019, 20:42

thoreau wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 18:32
while they might have less flexibility than if they started from scratch with plain fabric, some of the work has already been done for them if they buy clothes at thrift stores.
Oh, for sure. Hems, buttons, collars, etc can be preserved on a refashioned garment and save a lot of work.

The thing is, I do get the frustration. A thin person can maybe get a more perfect shirt (and have fun in the process) if she buys a big blouse and alters it versus buying a size XS blouse. But if I buy the big blouse first, she still can get a shirt that fits. If she buys it first, I can't do anything with the XS blouse. I can't even buy it and alter it because modern clothes aren't made with fabric to "let out" and it's virtually impossible to frankenstein smaller clothes together to make bigger ones (plus now I have to buy two or three shirts). I'm not going to take to Twitter to harangue people over it, nor do I think anyone should be shamed about how they dress themselves or spend their hobby/crafting time. But I get it. It's kinda like able-bodied people using the one handicap-accessible toilet stall. Maybe there's some extra benefit to them -- they're changing clothes or have a couple toddlers in tow or whatever -- and I wouldn't make a rule that ONLY people with disabilities get to use those stalls. But it sucks for the person in the wheelchair who rolls in and can't use any of the stalls that are open.

And I'm jealous of y'all's fatty fat clothes selections where you live. I don't know why we don't have the same bounty around here. I'm always SO disappointed when I go thrift shopping. I had to buy a pair of comfy/pajama type pants in Brainerd at the last minute (long, boring story) and they literally didn't have any, not one pair, bigger than an XL. I had to just settle for those and try not to bend over and reveal that I could only pull them halfway over my hips and ass :lol:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Aug 2019, 06:23

nicole wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 10:29
oh fuck yes give it to me

Does she... think that ALL thin people are rich enough to buy retail? Or that thin people can't be economically "underprivileged?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Aug 2019, 10:20

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 20 Aug 2019, 10:47

Jennifer wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 06:23
Does she... think that ALL thin people are rich enough to buy retail? Or that thin people can't be economically "underprivileged?"
But thin people are privileged, and rich people are privileged, so therefore thin people are rich! It's basic logic!
Beep boop, you silly humans.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Aug 2019, 15:57

Jennifer wrote:
Nah, I think she's saying that anyone of any size can be underprivileged and need to shop at a thrift store, but if you're thin and poor you have two choices: cheap thin clothes or cheap fat clothes. And fat poor people only have one choice: cheap fat clothes. So if you, the thin poor person, buy the cheap fat clothes, now you've taken away all the fat poor person's options.

Like I said, I don't think people should be stopped from doing that, but I get the frustration.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Aug 2019, 17:33

Ellie wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 15:57
Jennifer wrote:
Nah, I think she's saying that anyone of any size can be underprivileged and need to shop at a thrift store, but if you're thin and poor you have two choices: cheap thin clothes or cheap fat clothes. And fat poor people only have one choice: cheap fat clothes. So if you, the thin poor person, buy the cheap fat clothes, now you've taken away all the fat poor person's options.

Like I said, I don't think people should be stopped from doing that, but I get the frustration.
I can sympathize in an abstract sort of way, but ... this woman does NOT understand how thrift-store economics work. They shred/recycle, sell by the pound or outright throw away far more donated garments than they actually sell, and I'm extremely skeptical of the notion that whatever oversized garments these women are buying were, like, hot out of the donation bin and onto the racks, where the skinnychix pounced on them before the large ones even had a chance to get to the store.

Plus -- I say this in response to the entire Twitter thread, not just the first two tweets Nicole posted -- she's arguably contradicting herself throughout (or, more precisely, she's mad at the skinnychix taking what she feels SHE has a rightful claim to). Here are some quotes (these are from different tweets, which I put together):
"The next time I see a skinny girl buying a size 3X sweater because it "looks comfy and cute" I'm going to grab it from her and wheel away with it faster than she can blink. SOMETIMES YOU DON'T DESERVE CUTE THINGS IF IT MEANS FAT PEOPLE GET CLOTHING. Like OKAY if it's in a store and there are dozens of that item, WHATEVER. But in a THRIFT STORE? REALLY? Stay in your freakin' aisle. Stay out of the plus sized section. STAY OUT OF OUR WAY. We deal with enough crap let alone not having clothes that fit us bc y'all stole it all. Seriously though... imagine being in a thrift shop and picking up size 3X jeans and NOT thinking "those are too big for me, I'll leave them for a bigger person" and INSTEAD THINKING "gosh, I would just LOVE to cut off 90% of the fabric so I can fit my tiny body into them". LIKE?? NO! These aren't "OVERSIZED CLOTHING HACKS"! You are taking PLUS SIZED CLOTHING away from PLUS SIZED PEOPLE. PERIOD. It's BONKERS to me that someone would do this instead of just BUYING THE JEANS THEY WANT. I'd bet that this person can afford MANY new pairs of jeans. But NOPE!!!"
That person -- the one whom she bets "can afford MANY new pairs of jeans" (over before-and-after photos of her with a large pair of jeans later cut down to her size) -- her name is Nava Rose, and according to a quick Google search she's a not-white woman living somewhere in California. Meanwhile, Ophelia the Outraged is a white woman in Canada. Maybe-possibly Nava Rose can't afford to buy new jeans because she's living in a super-high COL area AND, unlike Miss Ophelia, likely has to pay health insurance premiums AND shell out a medical co-pay if she gets sick?

And as for wondering why this woman would buy clothing in need of alteration "instead of just BUYING THE JEANS THEY WANT" ... um, because she is shopping in a thrift store, remember? Not a regular retailer where there are "dozens of that item." Even if you wear whatever is the single most common clothing size in your country, there is never a guarantee you will find what you want -- let alone what you need -- on a given visit. (The main reason it's been taking me as long as it has to build a climate-appropriate deep-summer wardrobe in the thrift shops -- after over three years here I'm FINALLY starting to acquire some actual decent outfits as opposed to "I'm desperate for anything I can wear out of the house without increasing my chances of heatstroke and/or sunburn," though the number of "actually nice outfits" I have remains lower than at any time in my thrift-shopping adult life -- is precisely because I don't have the skill or talent to alter clothing sizes. So instead of transforming "too-big pants" into "pants that fit," I'd buy too-big pants and use safety pins to make the waistband smaller. Which in Ophelialand presumably counts as "stealing" from those who could wear those pants without safety pins. Only after a year or so could I finally be picky enough to say "I'm looking for summer-appropriate clothes I actually like, not merely 'anything I can wear safely.')

Except -- calling Captain Obvious here -- I didn't buy those big ugly pants thinking "Well, hey, I COULD buy this-here pair of attractive pants that fit me perfectly, but .... nah, I'd rather dress like a clown"; I bought them because at the time my choices were "ugly clown pants" or "pants that I used to call 'summer wear' until I moved to Georgia and JFC I am no-shit afraid I might pass out from the heat, or dehydrate/sweat myself into another kidney stone attack, or both." (Also, the bulk of my "hardcore clown clothes" -- pants requiring safety pins to stay on, shirts so large some are even too big for Jeff -- THOSE came from the bargain-basement of a certain localish thrift store: used to be, after a given garment sat unsold in the regular store for a given amount of time, they moved it to the basement where all clothes were $1.99 each on weekdays, 69 cents on Saturdays and 39 cents on Sundays. If some large person wanted to buy those garments before me, she had several WEEKS' worth of opportunities to do so, before they migrated down to the discount basement.)

Of course, I'm far too vain to have taken and posted pictures showing how badly dressed I was my first few months in Atlanta. But if I did ... I suspect this woman's reaction would not be "Wow, that must kinda suck for her, being unable to afford new clothing that fits and equally unable to alter what she has to MAKE it fit and look nice on her" ... no, she'd rant about how I need to stay in my own lane and stop stealing clothes from plus-sized people and it's just BONKERS that I'd buy overlarge pants requiring safety pins rather than just BUYING THE PANTS I WANT because I bet she can afford MANY MANY pairs of pants rant rant froth!" And I need not even speculate how she'd have reacted if i were able to get a climate-appropriate wardrobe much sooner because I actually had the skills and tools necessary to alter those clown clothes into clothes that fit me.

No, actually, I can't "afford many new pairs of pants" ... unless you're talking about thrift-store pants from the supercheap racks, and even then -- speaking as someone who can NOT do any alterations beyond dyeing clothes different colors -- it's exceedingly rare for me to find pants that actually fit me and are in a color and style that works for me.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Aug 2019, 17:34

I think Ellie has it right. It’s like if there’s a good bank and the vegan is pissed because the omnivore decides that instead of grabbing some chicken or eggs, they’re going to only have greens and beans.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Aug 2019, 17:36

Sudden additional thought: she lives in Canada and complains about a thin woman buying an oversized sweater??! FFS, when I lived in New England -- and already had an extensive wardrobe of lovely climate-appropriate thrift-store clothes -- I also had more than a couple oversized sweaters, bought on purpose not because I want to deprive someone for whom the sweater would fit snugly, but because too-large clothes are ideal for extremely cold winter days requiring lots and lots of layers. And I'd wager Ontario's winters get even colder than Connecticut's.
Last edited by Jennifer on 20 Aug 2019, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Aug 2019, 17:41

Mo wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:34
I think Ellie has it right. It’s like if there’s a good bank and the vegan is pissed because the omnivore decides that instead of grabbing some chicken or eggs, they’re going to only have greens and beans.
Except food banks are charitable institutions which for the most part always have an actual shortage of food (compared to the needs of their clients) -- with a food bank, unlike a thrift store, I'd say "Going there when you can easily afford the regular retail alternative is actually immoral--you're literally taking food from hungry people."

But thrift stores, even charity thrift stores ... the "charity" is whatever organization gets the money from the sales of donated goods, NOT "we are charitably offering clothes, furnishings and other items at affordable prices." If everyone (or only "every thin person") did what this woman suggested, and only ever bought clothes that fit or maybe needed only one size of alteration, I don't think the net result would be "fat thrift-store shoppers all become better dressed," but "thrift stores in general report reduced clothing sales, and increased amounts of fabric discarded rather than sold."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Aug 2019, 18:47

Top-of-my-head calculations: since moving to Atlanta and specifically seeking linen or rayon exclusive of all other fabric for the atrocious summer climate conditions, I have (conservative estimate) made at least 500 individual thrift-store visits. Not a hard number to reach when you consider than on a single day "dedicated to thrifting" I visit anywhere from four to six shops. And I do two or three such days per month, plus there's the many thrift stores I'd drop in on my way to or from somewhere else, or when Jeff and I were on road trips and one of us would spot one off the highway, and I've been here over three years now, so...

Anyway, I just-now went through my closet and did an inventory of my humid-summer pants that either fit me well, or are only a little too big (no safety pins or other hacks needed): 13, including the ones I'm wearing right now.

Those in colors and styles I actually like enough to wear sans climate considerations: 8.

Those also good enough to wear in professional/workplace or dress-to-impress environments (as opposed to either leggings or "sweatpants" which are okay for running errands or casual socializing, but not for professional/impressive occasions): 3. (Or 2, because one of those has faint pinstripes, which I don't like, so I didn't count it among the 8 I like enough to wear sans climate considerations.)

That's my combined "good unaltered deep-summer pants" haul from over 500 thrift-store visits spanning more than three years.

THAT'S why thin- and average-sized thrift shoppers don't always "stay in our lane," Ophelia, and THAT'S why those with the drive and know-how to alter clothes do so.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Aug 2019, 19:13

thoreau wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 10:20
Is this real or a skit?

Also, I may be attending the local DSA next month to see what they're actually on about. I'm intrigued by their newsletter...

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Aug 2019, 21:17

the audio is real.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Aug 2019, 22:22

I'm unwilling to believe anything that confirms my biases so hard in this age of deepfakes and repeat internet hoaxes.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Aug 2019, 22:24

A part of me wonders if DSA is the deepest fake of all.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Aug 2019, 22:25

(I also feel that way about the LP.)
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2019, 06:56

I try to be as expansive as possible in my tolerance of categories of people. That kind of language is a barrier. I can’t get past it. I can get past the Che shirt even these days, but not that. Like all the human adult kinks are ok until you get to furries then I can’t. It’s a failure of character on my part, I know.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Aug 2019, 07:02

JasonL wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 06:56
I try to be as expansive as possible in my tolerance of categories of people. That kind of language is a barrier. I can’t get past it. I can get past the Che shirt even these days, but not that. Like all the human adult kinks are ok until you get to furries then I can’t. It’s a failure of character on my part, I know.
I view furries the way I view Republicans. It's a personal choice I dont agree with. They are free to have those views and i may even be friends with some of them. But they should feel a deep sense of shame and practice behind closed doors such as there home.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex