Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6583
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Twitter!

Post by Andrew » 24 Jun 2019, 10:20

nicole wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 09:00
Counterpoint: real life is a joke
Next week: "'governor' is inappropriate because that was the term for the head colonial administrator."
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27873
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Twitter!

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2019, 10:43

nicole wrote:Counterpoint: real life is a joke

I fucking hate woke capitalism.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3201
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Twitter!

Post by Jasper » 24 Jun 2019, 13:45

dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 18:31
I grew up in a one bathroom joint and it was fine.
Ditto, and I can't quite fathom the existential horror of having done so.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 14:35

Jasper wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:45
dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 18:31
I grew up in a one bathroom joint and it was fine.
Ditto, and I can't quite fathom the existential horror of having done so.
There are a lot of factors. Indoor plumbing is a one way door. The difference between having your own commode and having to put your shoes on and exit your house is the difference between wearing animal skins and wearing Armani. Subsequent conveniences matter less, but you still come to depend on them. So it's one thing to grow up in a one bathroom house, it's another to downsize into one. It's also a matter of how many people are sharing a bathroom, and also which people. So if you are accustomed to having the bath all to yourself while you primp and polish for extended lengths of time, that's not going to fly if I have to take a whizz. Other peoples stank, products, unflushed doodie, can be quite unbearable if you haven't had to tolerate them before. Likewise, if you are in the habit of having twenty bottles arranged around the tub and vanity, leave your socks and underwear lying around, and typically "let it mellow", it can feel like nagging everytime she takes the time and trouble to bitch about the seat being left up. OTOH if the rules are all well understood and all parties habitually abide by them, so you have your own shower kit that you take in and take back out, others can use the toilet when you're in the shower, etc. it's not such a big deal. On the third hand, I have known a number of women with cat brains whose very sanity depends on steadfast denial that they ever expel waste in any form or at any time. Having their own bathroom they can dissappear into and nothing happens while they're in there is a medical necessity.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3201
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Twitter!

Post by Jasper » 24 Jun 2019, 15:46

Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 14:35
Jasper wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:45
dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 18:31
I grew up in a one bathroom joint and it was fine.
Ditto, and I can't quite fathom the existential horror of having done so.
There are a lot of factors. Indoor plumbing is a one way door. The difference between having your own commode and having to put your shoes on and exit your house is the difference between wearing animal skins and wearing Armani. Subsequent conveniences matter less, but you still come to depend on them. So it's one thing to grow up in a one bathroom house, it's another to downsize into one. It's also a matter of how many people are sharing a bathroom, and also which people. So if you are accustomed to having the bath all to yourself while you primp and polish for extended lengths of time, that's not going to fly if I have to take a whizz. Other peoples stank, products, unflushed doodie, can be quite unbearable if you haven't had to tolerate them before. Likewise, if you are in the habit of having twenty bottles arranged around the tub and vanity, leave your socks and underwear lying around, and typically "let it mellow", it can feel like nagging everytime she takes the time and trouble to bitch about the seat being left up. OTOH if the rules are all well understood and all parties habitually abide by them, so you have your own shower kit that you take in and take back out, others can use the toilet when you're in the shower, etc. it's not such a big deal. On the third hand, I have known a number of women with cat brains whose very sanity depends on steadfast denial that they ever expel waste in any form or at any time. Having their own bathroom they can dissappear into and nothing happens while they're in there is a medical necessity.
Your key point about downsizing is valid, but my (and perhaps dhex's; that's how I took it) response was to the admission that nicole grew up in a one commode house and that it was soul-searing from the get-go.

I'll also go as far as to concede that the problem of a single shit-pot, to dudes, is less of a horror than it is to young female folks, if you'll forgive the gross stereotyping and limitation to two genders.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12275
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Twitter!

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2019, 15:49

It's more horrifying to us ladies because we're the ones who have to go into the bathroom after you dudes have been in there for an hour stinking it up.

;)
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12275
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Twitter!

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2019, 15:51

nicole wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 08:46
It was so fucked up sharing a bathroom with my parents as a kid. Everything about “normal families” is some fucked up psychosexual shit. Have to constantly worry about what you’re wearing, all night, half asleep, because you’re related by blood to the mfs sleeping in the house with you. So gross.
I plan to avoid this by peeing with the door open and wandering around naked all the time. With this plan, I have no chance of scarring my children's psyche! :lol:
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 16:12

Ellie wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 15:51
nicole wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 08:46
It was so fucked up sharing a bathroom with my parents as a kid. Everything about “normal families” is some fucked up psychosexual shit. Have to constantly worry about what you’re wearing, all night, half asleep, because you’re related by blood to the mfs sleeping in the house with you. So gross.
I plan to avoid this by peeing with the door open and wandering around naked all the time. With this plan, I have no chance of scarring my children's psyche! :lol:
I approve of this plan. There is no chance you will scar your children's psyche. The problem will only manifest itself when they move out of the house and try to live with other people that are horrified at your children's lack of shame.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9596
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Twitter!

Post by nicole » 24 Jun 2019, 16:46

Jasper wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 15:46
Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 14:35
Jasper wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:45
dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 18:31
I grew up in a one bathroom joint and it was fine.
Ditto, and I can't quite fathom the existential horror of having done so.
There are a lot of factors. Indoor plumbing is a one way door. The difference between having your own commode and having to put your shoes on and exit your house is the difference between wearing animal skins and wearing Armani. Subsequent conveniences matter less, but you still come to depend on them. So it's one thing to grow up in a one bathroom house, it's another to downsize into one. It's also a matter of how many people are sharing a bathroom, and also which people. So if you are accustomed to having the bath all to yourself while you primp and polish for extended lengths of time, that's not going to fly if I have to take a whizz. Other peoples stank, products, unflushed doodie, can be quite unbearable if you haven't had to tolerate them before. Likewise, if you are in the habit of having twenty bottles arranged around the tub and vanity, leave your socks and underwear lying around, and typically "let it mellow", it can feel like nagging everytime she takes the time and trouble to bitch about the seat being left up. OTOH if the rules are all well understood and all parties habitually abide by them, so you have your own shower kit that you take in and take back out, others can use the toilet when you're in the shower, etc. it's not such a big deal. On the third hand, I have known a number of women with cat brains whose very sanity depends on steadfast denial that they ever expel waste in any form or at any time. Having their own bathroom they can dissappear into and nothing happens while they're in there is a medical necessity.
Your key point about downsizing is valid, but my (and perhaps dhex's; that's how I took it) response was to the admission that nicole grew up in a one commode house and that it was soul-searing from the get-go.

I'll also go as far as to concede that the problem of a single shit-pot, to dudes, is less of a horror than it is to young female folks, if you'll forgive the gross stereotyping and limitation to two genders.
To be clear we had 1.5 baths but the 0.5 was downstairs at the lowest level of the split level and you wouldn't go down there in the night unless the other one was already occupied.

My main complaint is that you have to be essentially fully dressed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night/early morning. And obviously all the related things, like you have to get fully dressed in the (tiny) bathroom right after you take a shower and it's all steamy and you have to bring all your stuff in their with you, blah blah. It's not about the bathroom itself it's about getting to it and the constant possibility of encountering a person you're related to and who thus cannot see you naked.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 19:52

nicole wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 16:46
Jasper wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 15:46
Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 14:35
Jasper wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:45
dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 18:31
I grew up in a one bathroom joint and it was fine.
Ditto, and I can't quite fathom the existential horror of having done so.
There are a lot of factors. Indoor plumbing is a one way door. The difference between having your own commode and having to put your shoes on and exit your house is the difference between wearing animal skins and wearing Armani. Subsequent conveniences matter less, but you still come to depend on them. So it's one thing to grow up in a one bathroom house, it's another to downsize into one. It's also a matter of how many people are sharing a bathroom, and also which people. So if you are accustomed to having the bath all to yourself while you primp and polish for extended lengths of time, that's not going to fly if I have to take a whizz. Other peoples stank, products, unflushed doodie, can be quite unbearable if you haven't had to tolerate them before. Likewise, if you are in the habit of having twenty bottles arranged around the tub and vanity, leave your socks and underwear lying around, and typically "let it mellow", it can feel like nagging everytime she takes the time and trouble to bitch about the seat being left up. OTOH if the rules are all well understood and all parties habitually abide by them, so you have your own shower kit that you take in and take back out, others can use the toilet when you're in the shower, etc. it's not such a big deal. On the third hand, I have known a number of women with cat brains whose very sanity depends on steadfast denial that they ever expel waste in any form or at any time. Having their own bathroom they can dissappear into and nothing happens while they're in there is a medical necessity.
Your key point about downsizing is valid, but my (and perhaps dhex's; that's how I took it) response was to the admission that nicole grew up in a one commode house and that it was soul-searing from the get-go.

I'll also go as far as to concede that the problem of a single shit-pot, to dudes, is less of a horror than it is to young female folks, if you'll forgive the gross stereotyping and limitation to two genders.
To be clear we had 1.5 baths but the 0.5 was downstairs at the lowest level of the split level and you wouldn't go down there in the night unless the other one was already occupied.

My main complaint is that you have to be essentially fully dressed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night/early morning. And obviously all the related things, like you have to get fully dressed in the (tiny) bathroom right after you take a shower and it's all steamy and you have to bring all your stuff in their with you, blah blah. It's not about the bathroom itself it's about getting to it and the constant possibility of encountering a person you're related to and who thus cannot see you naked.
My family didn't get uptight about being seen naked by family members. Like "we're all family here, it's no big deal". I mean you didn't parade around the house in the buff or anything, but there was no need to go running from the room or cover up because some family member walked in on you. My father's family anyway, my mother's family was more uptight about shit in general.
I'm wondering, what was it like growing up for everyone else?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7676
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Twitter!

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 20:02

My sons parade around the house in the buff, Warren. Its ... a thing. Tim likes to compound his flaunting by snacking his penis and saying, "Pee pee! Pee pee!". Its as adorable as you can imagine. It's also hella hard to get them to understand that we dont live in the society they envision.

Bath time is a nightmare if they try to get out of the tube at the same time.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 20:15

Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:02
My sons parade around the house in the buff, Warren. Its ... a thing. Tim likes to compound his flaunting by snacking his penis and saying, "Pee pee! Pee pee!". Its as adorable as you can imagine. It's also hella hard to get them to understand that we dont live in the society they envision.

Bath time is a nightmare if they try to get out of the tube at the same time.
I'm don't even want to know what "snacking his penis" means.
That shit is "adorable" until it isn't. Hopefully you can successfully instruct them on how to conduct themselves as decent upstanding members of a society before they turn 10.
If not, well puberty has a way of re-prioritizing that shit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7676
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Twitter!

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 20:18

Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:15
Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:02
My sons parade around the house in the buff, Warren. Its ... a thing. Tim likes to compound his flaunting by snacking his penis and saying, "Pee pee! Pee pee!". Its as adorable as you can imagine. It's also hella hard to get them to understand that we dont live in the society they envision.

Bath time is a nightmare if they try to get out of the tube at the same time.
I'm don't even want to know what "snacking his penis" means.
That shit is "adorable" until it isn't. Hopefully you can successfully instruct them on how to conduct themselves as decent upstanding members of a society before they turn 10.
If not, well puberty has a way of re-prioritizing that shit.
Are you suggesting my children will be incels? Because I will fight you, Warren. It'll break my heart but I'll fight you.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 20:22

Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:18
Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:15
Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:02
My sons parade around the house in the buff, Warren. Its ... a thing. Tim likes to compound his flaunting by snacking his penis and saying, "Pee pee! Pee pee!". Its as adorable as you can imagine. It's also hella hard to get them to understand that we dont live in the society they envision.

Bath time is a nightmare if they try to get out of the tube at the same time.
I'm don't even want to know what "snacking his penis" means.
That shit is "adorable" until it isn't. Hopefully you can successfully instruct them on how to conduct themselves as decent upstanding members of a society before they turn 10.
If not, well puberty has a way of re-prioritizing that shit.
Are you suggesting my children will be incels? Because I will fight you, Warren. It'll break my heart but I'll fight you.
Not exactly. I was suggesting that when the urge to stick their dick in another willing person takes hold, their behavior will evolve to make that more likely.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7676
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Twitter!

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 20:32

Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:22
Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:18
Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:15
Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:02
My sons parade around the house in the buff, Warren. Its ... a thing. Tim likes to compound his flaunting by snacking his penis and saying, "Pee pee! Pee pee!". Its as adorable as you can imagine. It's also hella hard to get them to understand that we dont live in the society they envision.

Bath time is a nightmare if they try to get out of the tube at the same time.
I'm don't even want to know what "snacking his penis" means.
That shit is "adorable" until it isn't. Hopefully you can successfully instruct them on how to conduct themselves as decent upstanding members of a society before they turn 10.
If not, well puberty has a way of re-prioritizing that shit.
Are you suggesting my children will be incels? Because I will fight you, Warren. It'll break my heart but I'll fight you.
Not exactly. I was suggesting that when the urge to stick their dick in another willing person takes hold, their behavior will evolve to make that more likely.
Hmmmmm. Better start making flash cards on the birds and the bees sooner rather than later.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 20:42

"flash" cards
heh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12275
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Twitter!

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2019, 23:16

I think my family growing up was middle-of-the-road for prudishness. You went into the bathroom, showered, then returned to your room with a towel wrapped around your body. Butt and junk (and boobs if applicable) covered, but no need to dress in the bathroom.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17159
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Twitter!

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jun 2019, 23:31

Ellie wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 23:16
I think my family growing up was middle-of-the-road for prudishness. You went into the bathroom, showered, then returned to your room with a towel wrapped around your body. Butt and junk (and boobs if applicable) covered, but no need to dress in the bathroom.
Same. Seems like a bathrobe should solve this problem, too. I lived in a dorm with communal bathroom/showers my freshman year (no individual showers, just a big bunch of shower heads in a big wall) (also, presumably to prevent drunken bathroom sex, there were no doors on the toilets, and the sinks had their backs to the toilets, meaning the mirrors over the sinks had unfortunate sight lines) and we managed not to be bouncing our junk around the hallways.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3201
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Twitter!

Post by Jasper » 25 Jun 2019, 09:01

Ellie wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 23:16
I think my family growing up was middle-of-the-road for prudishness. You went into the bathroom, showered, then returned to your room with a towel wrapped around your body. Butt and junk (and boobs if applicable) covered, but no need to dress in the bathroom.
Ditto. Parents, two brothers, one sister, one tiny bathroom. <shrug>

One thing about growing up in a more rural part of town, was if the bathroom was occupied, at least the three males in the house could just go take a piss outside. Which I did as the occasion needed. Unsure if dad or bro was as cavalier.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9596
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Twitter!

Post by nicole » 25 Jun 2019, 09:05

My dad started the traditional working class heavy body shaming when I hit puberty and it was just constant. I don’t even want to show those people my arms or legs.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 25 Jun 2019, 09:24

nicole wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:05
My dad started the traditional working class heavy body shaming when I hit puberty and it was just constant. I don’t even want to show those people my arms or legs.
I don't think working class heavy body shaming is as traditional as you believe it to be.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12275
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Twitter!

Post by Ellie » 25 Jun 2019, 09:37

Jasper wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:01
One thing about growing up in a more rural part of town, was if the bathroom was occupied, at least the three males in the house could just go take a piss outside. Which I did as the occasion needed. Unsure if dad or bro was as cavalier.
We grew up out in the country and I remember when my dad taught my little brother how to pee on a tree outside. For a while whenever he had to pee he would run outside, even if the bathroom was free. :lol:
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10806
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Twitter!

Post by JD » 25 Jun 2019, 11:31

Ellie wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:37
We grew up out in the country and I remember when my dad taught my little brother how to pee on a tree outside. For a while whenever he had to pee he would run outside, even if the bathroom was free. :lol:
Is that something that really has to be taught, though? I mean, boys seem to figure out "peeing on things" pretty naturally, from what I can tell.

Regarding family modesty, from what I remember, my family was pretty relaxed about things when I was a kid. It was just me and my parents, which probably made it simpler. Nobody wandered around the house naked, but there wasn't any huge shame about nudity and bodies either. Which is weird because my family was super repressed about things otherwise: sex, death, money, and emotions were things that were only discussed by other, more ethnic, people.

It also occurs to me that things might have been affected by our unusual bathroom situation - we had only one bathroom, but it was HUGE, like bigger than some NYC bedrooms, so it also became storage and laundry room and sometimes even a workshop for my dad.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13411
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Twitter!

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Jun 2019, 12:26

If you've been trained to pee in a toilet, I think someone probably has to at least explain that it's OK to pee outside at some point.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26360
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Twitter!

Post by Warren » 25 Jun 2019, 14:12

Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 12:26
If you've been trained to pee in a toilet, I think someone probably has to at least explain that it's OK to pee outside at some point.
I seem to recall it being a rite of passage. But my memories from so deep into my childhood are jumbled up with The Partridge Family and Scooby Doo reruns.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests