Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: Twitter!

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Jun 2019, 17:49

nicole wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:58
My favorite part is that she says it’s “coopting” the language of the oppressor, as if that would be a bad thing if it were possible.
Nobody tell her about rap music!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jun 2019, 21:22

Moron jousting is very on brand for 2020.

I love how all the participants dance around pretending none of them understand basic rhetoric.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2019, 00:10

dhex wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 21:22
Moron jousting is very on brand for 2020.

I love how all the participants dance around pretending none of them understand basic rhetoric.
How else are you going to work up a good indignant?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Jun 2019, 09:18

I hate all of them
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2019, 09:25

Well that's not going to get you season tickets anywhere. How can you know what colors to where and go tailgating if you don't pick a team?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jun 2019, 16:22

@AOC sounds serious but she's an idiot. I don't know the other two but I assumed that they were just being sarcastic.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2019, 17:38

At least AOC is calling out our concentration camps for what they are.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Jun 2019, 18:08

“Never again” meets waiting until the death toll hits 7 figures before making analogies.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2019, 18:24

Apparently the only proper lesson we can learn from the history of the Nazis is "putting people into death chambers where they're forced to breathe insecticide is WRONG." But do NOT pay attention to any of the less-fatal steps the Nazis took before reaching that point!

It's like, in the days before meteorology became an actual science, it WAS acceptable to say "History shows that standing tall in the middle of a field during a lightning storm can be very dangerous," but dishonest, hyperbolic (and possibly unpatriotic) fearmongering to say "I notice tall anvil-shaped clouds piling up on the horizon --- the same clouds that often lead to lightning storms!" It's not like seeing an anvil cloud GUARANTEES you'll be struck by lightning, after all. Chill out and STFU.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jun 2019, 19:05

Jennifer wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 18:24
Apparently the only proper lesson we can learn from the history of the Nazis is "putting people into death chambers where they're forced to breathe insecticide is WRONG." But do NOT pay attention to any of the less-fatal steps the Nazis took before reaching that point!

It's like, in the days before meteorology became an actual science, it WAS acceptable to say "History shows that standing tall in the middle of a field during a lightning storm can be very dangerous," but dishonest, hyperbolic (and possibly unpatriotic) fearmongering to say "I notice tall anvil-shaped clouds piling up on the horizon --- the same clouds that often lead to lightning storms!" It's not like seeing an anvil cloud GUARANTEES you'll be struck by lightning, after all. Chill out and STFU.
I agree with you on the pettifogging over rhetoric, but I don't see any point in allowing myself to be baited into arguing precisely what constitutes a 'concentration camp.' If the GOP wants to quibble that they're not 'concentration camps', so be it. I refuse to get sidetracked. The system is an abomination, no matter what you call it. I want to know what DHS is going to do to alleviate the suffering and, if they're not willing to do so, I want to know how they justify it. Then, since most of them are professed Christians, I'm going to throw Matthew 25:35-40 in their faces:
King James Version wrote: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2019, 19:10

Aresen wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 19:05
Jennifer wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 18:24

I agree with you on the pettifogging over rhetoric, but I don't see any point in allowing myself to be baited into arguing precisely what constitutes a 'concentration camp.' If the GOP wants to quibble that they're not 'concentration camps', so be it. I refuse to get sidetracked. The system is an abomination, no matter what you call it. I want to know what DHS is going to do to alleviate the suffering and, if they're not willing to do so, I want to know how they justify it. Then, since most of them are professed Christians, I'm going to throw Matthew 25:35-40 in their faces:
King James Version wrote: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
I agree with you that the semantics matter not at all, compared to the atrocities we're committing -- but the fuckers in power these days take a different view, along with scads of shameless and amoral enablers (and not all of the latter are GOP voters, either. Fuck the "moderate" Democrats -- and "moderate" libertarians, too -- who pretend (or worse, actually fucking believe) the most important thing here is to be chill and not act all upset or crazy about what's going on.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Jun 2019, 08:46

Real talk, it suuuuuucked giving up the en suite in outback last move even though it’s just the two of us most of the time. It was so fucked up sharing a bathroom with my parents as a kid. Everything about “normal families” is some fucked up psychosexual shit. Have to constantly worry about what you’re wearing, all night, half asleep, because you’re related by blood to the mfs sleeping in the house with you. So gross.
CD3CD847-265E-4F55-87A7-96F231843055.png
CD3CD847-265E-4F55-87A7-96F231843055.png (440.25 KiB) Viewed 602 times
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2019, 10:12

Meeting the boogieman seems not so bad to me.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jun 2019, 17:53

nicole wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 08:46
Real talk, it suuuuuucked giving up the en suite in outback last move even though it’s just the two of us most of the time. It was so fucked up sharing a bathroom with my parents as a kid. Everything about “normal families” is some fucked up psychosexual shit. Have to constantly worry about what you’re wearing, all night, half asleep, because you’re related by blood to the mfs sleeping in the house with you. So gross.

CD3CD847-265E-4F55-87A7-96F231843055.png
A small jack-and-jill bathroom, where the ventilation is poor so your parents suggest that it can be improved by opening the door to your room, which your brother then does every time without knocking as soon as he's done in the bathroom, is potentially as bad or worse.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jun 2019, 18:31

I grew up in a one bathroom joint and it was fine.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Jun 2019, 23:20

I really loathe jack-and-jill bathrooms.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2019, 00:50

Ellie wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 23:20
A friend had one that worked, because it was bedroom, vanity room, toilet/shower room, vanity room, bedroom.

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jun 2019, 07:26

Ellie wrote:
Is that with two sinks? Bc if so its pretty neat.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jun 2019, 08:10

dhex wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 07:26
Ellie wrote:
Is that with two sinks? Bc if so its pretty neat.
The ones between two bedrooms, with two doors (one opening into each bedroom), without a main entrance to a hallway.
lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 00:50
Ellie wrote:
A friend had one that worked, because it was bedroom, vanity room, toilet/shower room, vanity room, bedroom.
Even that would stress me out. It's the two-doors thing. You want privacy, so you lock both doors, but then you have to unlock the door you're not going back out of, but if you forget, when the other person needs the bathroom they'll have to come around and enter through YOUR room. And when you go to use the bathroom and it's locked you don't know if that means it's occupied or somebody just forget to unlock your side.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jun 2019, 10:02

Oh OK yeah that sucks.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jun 2019, 10:42

Just googled the jack/jill bathroom thingie. We have that at the current house. What's not to like? It's just more room for other people to encroach on so any space I might hope to think of as my own is taken from me in the name of the greater good. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jun 2019, 14:23

We had one of these at our last house, and it was not great. It was a two bedroom house and we felt like we couldn't really use that room for guests to stay because of bathroom privacy (my wife is horrified at the thought of people hearing each other poop and pee). It also happened to be the only bathroom, so having people over meant having people go through one of the rooms. Do not miss at all.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jun 2019, 00:25

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 14:23
We had one of these at our last house, and it was not great. It was a two bedroom house and we felt like we couldn't really use that room for guests to stay because of bathroom privacy (my wife is horrified at the thought of people hearing each other poop and pee). It also happened to be the only bathroom, so having people over meant having people go through one of the rooms. Do not miss at all.
OK that's deeply stupid. Jack and Jills are acceptable as second bathrooms (preferably after a master bathroom and at least a half bath) but no way do they work for sole bathrooms. That's insane.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jun 2019, 00:26

Description:

Elon Musk tweet of a graphic that says "OCCUPY MARS" with a picture of the moon during a lunar eclipse.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Jun 2019, 09:00

Counterpoint: real life is a joke

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex