Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Twitter!

Post by JD » 21 Mar 2019, 16:34

Jennifer wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 15:42
"Saddam was somehow involved in 9/11 even though the religious fundamentalists who actually did the attack hated him,"
This I have to pick a bone with. Bush never stated that Saddam being involved in 9/11, and yet it somehow became a shibboleth among certain segments of the left that he did. He used the general atmosphere post-9/11 to further his push for war, but it was never explicitly about 9/11.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2019, 16:52

JD wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 16:34
Jennifer wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 15:42
"Saddam was somehow involved in 9/11 even though the religious fundamentalists who actually did the attack hated him,"
This I have to pick a bone with. Bush never stated that Saddam being involved in 9/11, and yet it somehow became a shibboleth among certain segments of the left that he did. He used the general atmosphere post-9/11 to further his push for war, but it was never explicitly about 9/11.
No, he just very very heavily implied it without ever bothering to correct those who drew the wrong conclusion from his implications.

I don't know if there's an official name for that dishonest rhetorical tactic -- the way there are names for logical fallacies such as strawman or ad hominem -- but I have a vague memory of using it [for intended humorous effect] in some long-ago Erma Bombeck-style column I wrote for a women's magazine: the theme was something like "How to prepare your home for company when you're a total slob," and one piece of advice was along the lines of "In the week leading up to your party, spend your every waking hour cleaning up as much of the mess as you can. Then when your guests arrive, tell them 'Sorry the place is such a mess. [sigh] You know how some weeks are so busy, you just don't have time for housework.' Technically that second sentence is not a lie, but a non-sequitur, and if your guests erroneously assume otherwise, well, a good hostess knows it's rude to contradict people.'"

Hey, I never explicitly SAID "The only reason my house looks this messy is because I've had no time whatsoever to clean it this past week." I did not explicitly lie and claim "My house is much dirtier than usual right now" when the truth is this is the nicest this dump's looked in months. All I did was apologize for the mess and make a totally neutral observation about how sometimes people are too busy to do housework. It's not my fault if you repeatedly draw the wrong conclusion about my usual housekeeping standards!

Here's a March 2003 Christian Science Monitor article on "The impact of Bush linking 9/11 and Iraq":

https://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0314/p02s01-woiq.html
In his prime-time press conference last week, which focused almost solely on Iraq, President Bush mentioned Sept. 11 eight times. He referred to Saddam Hussein many more times than that, often in the same breath with Sept. 11.

Bush never pinned blame for the attacks directly on the Iraqi president. Still, the overall effect was to reinforce an impression that persists among much of the American public: that the Iraqi dictator did play a direct role in the attacks.... Sources knowledgeable about US intelligence say there is no evidence that Hussein played a role in the Sept. 11 attacks, nor that he has been or is currently aiding Al Qaeda. Yet the White House appears to be encouraging this false impression, as it seeks to maintain American support for a possible war against Iraq and demonstrate seriousness of purpose to Hussein's regime.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 22:09

I just got in trouble with the Twitter overlords!

I told Trump to go fuck himself with a rusty chainsaw, and they said I'm harassing him.

I'm just disappointed that my account got locked by Twitter, instead of Trump blocking me. I would have considered it a badge of honor to be blocked by Trump.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Mar 2019, 22:25

Does he still block people? I thought that the court ruled that he wasn't allowed to do that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 22:40

This was the Twitter overlords locking my account for abusive behavior, not Trump blocking me from reading his Tweets.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2019, 23:04

thoreau wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 22:40
This was the Twitter overlords locking my account for abusive behavior, not Trump blocking me from reading his Tweets.
Yeah, I think Highway is right. He's not allowed to do that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2019, 23:04

Possible the twitter overlords are more liberal (so to speak) with locking accounts because Trump is now not legally allowed to block accounts.

(that's just a complete ex-rectum pull though)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Mar 2019, 23:07

I thought the courts agreed he cant. And then he just blocks peeps anyway. I base that on nothing but the evidence I have of his behavior.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 23:09

Well, the message came to me from Twitter, and I can't tweet anything for another 11 hours. Because I told Trump to go fuck himself in the ass with a rusty chainsaw.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2019, 23:10

Kolohe wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 23:04
Possible the twitter overlords are more liberal (so to speak) with locking accounts because Trump is now not legally allowed to block accounts.

(that's just a complete ex-rectum pull though)
At the very least, if people making violent threats against him aren't blocked, it is guaranteed to launch a fresh 'The Twitter Overlords are biased and disgusting, just imagine if someone tweeted this at [famous liberal]' tweet storm.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2019, 23:10

I didn't threaten to do anything to him. I just encouraged him to do something to himself. If he wants to.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2019, 23:11

We all understand what you are saying. I think you missed what we're saying.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Mar 2019, 03:21

thoreau wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 23:10
I didn't threaten to do anything to him. I just encouraged him to do something to himself. If he wants to.
consent is sexy yo
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Mar 2019, 10:44

thoreau wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 23:09
Well, the message came to me from Twitter, and I can't tweet anything for another 11 hours. Because I told Trump to go fuck himself in the ass with a rusty chainsaw.
Hopefully you used that time to take a step back and reflect on how you're choosing to spend the limited time you have on earth.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Mar 2019, 10:54

I used that time to learn to code.
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Mar 2019, 13:49

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2019, 14:05

Woo hoo! I'm headed off to the pharmacy to pick up my nth round of antibiotics these past few years; if I get digestive problems as a result Imma tell you capitalist oppressors ALL about it. Full range of the Bristol scale and a few standard deviations beyond that, too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Mar 2019, 23:58

Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 14:05
Woo hoo! I'm headed off to the pharmacy to pick up my nth round of antibiotics these past few years; if I get digestive problems as a result Imma tell you capitalist oppressors ALL about it. Full range of the Bristol scale and a few standard deviations beyond that, too.
Wut? What do you mean you've been taking antibiotics the past few years?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Mar 2019, 00:00

Pham Nuwen wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 23:58
Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 14:05
Wut? What do you mean you've been taking antibiotics the past few years?
No, I mean that for the past three or four years, I've taken far more rounds of antibiotics (and other prescriptions) than in my entire previous adult life combined. Yea, that last round did verily fucketh with my digestive system. (Hopefully, the one I just started today will not.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Mar 2019, 10:49

Banned again!

Here's what pissed them off:
Hlewagastiz Holtijaz
@FamousGuestsYo
@realDonaldTrump @FoxNews Please go clog your arteries. The sooner you have your inevitable heart attack the better for this country.
7:03 AM - 27 Mar 2019
--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Mar 2019, 11:38

You know you're almost certainly just getting mass-reported, right?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Mar 2019, 11:53

nicole wrote:You know you're almost certainly just getting mass-reported, right?
What do you mean by "mass reported"?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Mar 2019, 12:00

thoreau wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:53
nicole wrote:You know you're almost certainly just getting mass-reported, right?

A million thrashing MAGAs slapping their pedipalps and chelae on the 'report' button.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Mar 2019, 12:45

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 12:00
thoreau wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:53

A million thrashing MAGAs slapping their pedipalps and chelae on the 'report' button.
Yeah
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Mar 2019, 12:55

Don’t let the bastards get you down thoreau. You may have been suspended, but you almost certainly shamed the President and Fox News into changing their behavior or closing up shop entirely.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman