Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Twitter!

Post by nicole » 27 Oct 2017, 14:49

It's a joke hashtag that's supposed to be like "snowflakes" boxes instead of cornflakes...but instead of coming up with a pun cereal name he told a story about being a crazy person.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2017, 14:56

I'm guessing the "Liberal cereals" hashtag is in response to the Kelloggs Corn Pops box change? Jeff actually knows the guy who made the initial complaint about the brown corn pop (and after seeing the box, I'd say he has a point).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Oct 2017, 14:58

Kolohe wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 14:21
Charming. No wonder the tweet went 'Cheerio!'

(I guess that's how some people get their kix. Such is life.)
Honey, you're a nut. Cheerio. Mueslix.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2017, 14:59

By the way, this is the tweet I was talking about:

When I looked up Kelloggs Corn Pops in Twitter's search engine, the top tweet was a Fox News post about "Liberals" who'd soon be coming for Count Chocula and other classics.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Oct 2017, 15:04

It's amazing that companies get this stuff wrong with such frequency. Public perception is critical for sales. Spend a little extra money and show every design to ethnically diverse focus groups to avoid such dust-ups.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2017, 15:08

the innominate one wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 15:04
It's amazing that companies get this stuff wrong with such frequency. Public perception is critical for sales. Spend a little extra money and show every design to ethnically diverse focus groups to avoid such dust-ups.
I'm even more dismayed by the fact that every time such a screwup does come to light (as in the Corn Pops box, but Kelloggs to its credit responded almost admittedly, admitted a mistake, and promised to change it), there are those who mock the complainant for complaining AND the company for responding to it, then scream about liberals and SJWs and snowflakes destroying civilization.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2017, 15:13

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2017, 16:35

I must have a masochistic streak, because I read some of the right-wing editorials about the Corn Pops issue (which of course is largely being misidentified as "guy says Corn Pops are inherently racist" as opposed to the more accurate "guy said there was a racist image on a Corn Pops box"). But I wonder -- is there a specific word or phrase for the particular type of hypocrisy involved in disagreeing with someone with the argument "This is a stupid thing for you to even talk/write about" -- yet you spend far more time talking or writing about it than the person you're criticizing? LIke Ahmed, for example -- he made that one tweet with the picture, and an additional tweet to the effect of "I know it's a small thing but this is what kids grow up seeing" -- well less than 280 characters in all, and only a handful of words.

But of course the outraged editorials accusing him of freaking out over something unimportant are themselves freaking out about a so-called assault on cereals and our civilization in general, and their panicky screed (which accuse Ahmed of making too big a deal out of something), go on exponentially longer than Ahmed's initial comment?

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Oct 2017, 18:03

the innominate one wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 15:04
Or just make everyone yellow.

That said, Twitter dustups in retail are often less of a money issue and more of a pr headache. Probably offload them to Costco Sam's club and be fine.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2017, 18:46

Jennifer wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 14:59
By the way, this is the tweet I was talking about:
Seems like a fair cop. It's not a what color is the dress? thing, the janitor really is a genuinely darker yellow-brown. Once you notice him, he really stands out. It's pretty obviously deliberate, though maybe unconscious.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Oct 2017, 21:23

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2017, 23:27

Mo wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 21:23
"That's why you have to look into it." </cynical>
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Oct 2017, 12:22

Eric the .5b wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 14:34
I'm still at "What?"
This is now my reaction to every intertubes brouhaha.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Oct 2017, 12:25

Inexplicably, Louise Mensch is following me, retweeted my retweet of Jake Tapper, and replied to the retweet, so now I'm getting a bunch of notifications of replies from her followers.

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Oct 2017, 10:57

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Oct 2017, 23:41

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Nov 2017, 19:21

Holy shit there are some assholes out there:
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Nov 2017, 23:44

Yes. Yes, there are.

Tangentially related, I heard a story on npr by a woman who was harassed for wearing a traditional Chinese dress and accused of cultural appropriation, despite her protestations that she was Chinese, because she didn't appear Chinese (her mother was, her father was not). I guess people don't realize anyone can wear clothes of any cultural origin without needing permission.

Unrelated:

Thanks to Martin Luther for his work, despite the anti-semitism.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Nov 2017, 10:23

What's the "THREAD"?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 10:29

Hint: photo in embed + Martin Luther

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2017, 10:55

For JasonL
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Nov 2017, 11:30

Ellie wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:23
What's the "THREAD"?
Martin Luther on Twitter wrote:Our Lord and Master Jesus Christ, in saying, "Repent ye, etc.," intended that the whole life of his believers on earth should be a constant penance. 1/95
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Nov 2017, 11:41

The better joke was that is was the 500th anniverary of the Pinned Tweet.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2017, 11:43

Kolohe wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:41
The better joke was that is was the 500th anniverary of the Pinned Tweet.
Not bad. But Martin went over 140 characters.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Nov 2017, 22:39

Given it was a church door, wasn't he just a threadshitter?