Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Re: Twitter!

Post by thoreau » 16 Apr 2018, 13:12

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:05
thoreau wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:02
Faux-Woke Capitalism is enough to make me want to vote for Bernie.
Eh. Some peoples' money needs to be redistributed, via completely voluntary exchange, away from them. That's how I see empty puffery rhetoric like that on a product.
True. Maybe Faux-Woke Capitalism is simply The Market's way of making sure that the fool and his money are parted as quickly and efficiently as possible.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Apr 2018, 13:16

Monster has cans of caffeinated sugar water in every convenience store, gas station, grocery store, and pharmacy across the US... but it's the other guys who are the massive multinationals who dominate the energy drink market. Even by advertising puffery standards, that's a bold one.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Apr 2018, 13:28

Andrew wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:16
Monster has cans of caffeinated sugar water in every convenience store, gas station, grocery store, and pharmacy across the US... but it's the other guys who are the massive multinationals who dominate the energy drink market. Even by advertising puffery standards, that's a bold one.
Again, it's made by a Coca-Cola company. Anyone who buys into that puffery deserves to.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2018, 15:33

A Trumpster (who in other contexts undoubtedly spends a lot of time sneering about liberal "snowflakes") is upset by an AP history book.

Arguably there is room for debate on how to address still controversial topics, but the stuff highlighted in these examples screams of snowflake-ism -- underlining the fact that Michael Brown's parents were kept away from his body at gunpoint? Or regarding BLM and Ferguson, "the nearly all-white police force was seen as an occupying army in the mostly African-American town" .... um, yeah, they WERE indeed "seen" that way.

It's like the difference between "Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who was tortured for our sins" (which IS proselytizing), versus "Christians believe that Jesus Christ is...." Or "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet" versus "Muslims believe that there is no God but...." Basically, that history book is using the second sentence in those examples, yet the Twittering Trumpster seems to think it's saying the first.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Apr 2018, 16:34

Jennifer wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:33
A Trumpster (who in other contexts undoubtedly spends a lot of time sneering about liberal "snowflakes") is upset by an AP history book.
And ranting about how it doesn't tell THE TRUTH about Benghazi or Hillary's email server.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Apr 2018, 16:39

Jennifer wrote:

Arguably there is room for debate on how to address still controversial topics, but the stuff highlighted in these examples screams of snowflake-ism -- underlining the fact that Michael Brown's parents were kept away from his body at gunpoint? Or regarding BLM and Ferguson, "the nearly all-white police force was seen as an occupying army in the mostly African-American town" .... um, yeah, they WERE indeed "seen" that way.

It's like the difference between "Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who was tortured for our sins" (which IS proselytizing), versus "Christians believe that Jesus Christ is...." Or "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet" versus "Muslims believe that there is no God but...." Basically, that history book is using the second sentence in those examples, yet the Twittering Trumpster seems to think it's saying the first.
Tone is important especially for something like history with so many sacred cows out there. There were a number of ways those observations could have been made without sounding inflamatory. Indoctrination no, but it is poorly written and a little tone deaf.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2018, 16:44

Painboy wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 16:39
Jennifer wrote:

Tone is important especially for something like history with so many sacred cows out there. There were a number of ways those observations could have been made without sounding inflamatory.
How so? Like for the Michael Brown incident, with his parents being kept away from his body at gunpoint -- how would you recommend saying this without sounding "inflammatory"? (Might be a semi-trick question, in the sense that the Trumpster snowflakes will surely take umbrage at ANY suggestion that racism might be a problem today, or that there's something racist about a president who says Mexicans are rapists and a federal judge of Mexican ancestry i inherently untrustworthy BECAUSE of said ancestry.)

Or, what is the "non-inflammatory" way to say that Ferguson's "nearly all-white police force was seen as an occupying army in the mostly African-American town"?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2018, 16:48

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 16:34
Jennifer wrote:
And ranting about how it doesn't tell THE TRUTH about Benghazi or Hillary's email server.
Ha! If you click the "show this thread" button, sho'nuff you see those complaints only a couple of tweets down:

I bet the book also fails to mention how (((the Jooz))) have undue influence on the media and financial industries, too.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Apr 2018, 17:38

Painboy wrote:
Tone is important especially for something like history with so many sacred cows out there. There were a number of ways those observations could have been made without sounding inflamatory. Indoctrination no, but it is poorly written and a little tone deaf.
Agreed. I don't think EVERY highlighted passage should be rewritten (some are just fine) but there are some real clunkers in there.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Apr 2018, 17:47

Ellie wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 17:38
Painboy wrote:
Agreed. I don't think EVERY highlighted passage should be rewritten (some are just fine) but there are some real clunkers in there.
Holy shit I’ve only clicked on the top left picture and the writing itself is horrendous

Mostly
Largely

Not to mention the error of “ideologically” for “ideological”
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Apr 2018, 17:53

nicole wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 17:47
Holy shit I’ve only clicked on the top left picture and the writing itself is horrendous

Mostly
Largely

Not to mention the error of “ideologically” for “ideological”
I think that textbook author may have written a lab report that I had to grade.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Apr 2018, 17:54

So, the writing is like a public school textbook.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Apr 2018, 17:59

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 17:54
So, the writing is like a public school textbook.
*sob*

Yes.

*sob* *cuts self* *listens to sad 90's music*
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2018, 19:01

I'd be interested to read what if anything that book has to say about things like the Obama "Birther" conspiracies, and Trump's support of them. (Also like to know what the Trumpster snowflake finds offensive about it, too.)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Apr 2018, 20:35

It's idiotic for anything sooner than the day Obama was elected to be covered in AP History.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Apr 2018, 21:27

Kolohe wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 20:35
It's idiotic for anything sooner than the day Obama was elected to be covered in AP History.
This
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Apr 2018, 21:44

I might have a skewed point of view, because in Virginia in the late 80s, between the King's Dominion rule (school starting after labor day), a May exam, and an outsized module on the Civil War, we barely got to WW2. I think called it a wrap at Vietnam (which was basically only we came, we saw, we lost).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Apr 2018, 21:48

I think when we were in HS, Vietnam was still too hot a button to touch. So we just sort of glossed over everything following Tonkin.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Apr 2018, 22:48

Mo wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
This
+2

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Apr 2018, 23:30

Not to mention that it destroys the triumphalism of the civic religion, which is half the fucking point of high school history class. High school history class should end with "And then America elected its First Black President and we were all so happy that we'd fixed that thing. The End."

"What happens next, teacher?"

"Well, I haven't paid any attention to the news since November of 2008 so I just assume it went swimmingly."
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Apr 2018, 11:01

Kolohe wrote:
That was an AP History text? I know it was a while ago but I don't remember mine being that poorly written.

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Apr 2018, 11:05

Painboy wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 11:01
Kolohe wrote:
That was an AP History text? I know it was a while ago but I don't remember mine being that poorly written.
Mine (“American Pageant”) definitely wasn’t.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Apr 2018, 14:31

I had an outstanding AP history teacher (one of the three best high school teachers I ever had), but he hardly used the textbook (if there was ever one), he just lectured, but in a storytelling fashion (I just realized he was podcasting 20 years before that was a thing)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Apr 2018, 14:55

Kolohe wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:31
I had an outstanding AP history teacher (one of the three best high school teachers I ever had), but he hardly used the textbook (if there was ever one), he just lectured, but in a storytelling fashion (I just realized he was podcasting 20 years before that was a thing)
This sounds like my teacher. He was a very dry humored, laid back football coach who was a giant Civil War nerd and made the material into interesting lectures. I have zero memory of the textbook, and recall we barely touched on Vietnam. But I think every person who took the AP exam got a 4 or 5.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Apr 2018, 15:37

Andrew wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:55
Kolohe wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:31
This sounds like my teacher. He was a very dry humored, laid back football coach who was a giant Civil War nerd and made the material into interesting lectures. I have zero memory of the textbook, and recall we barely touched on Vietnam. But I think every person who took the AP exam got a 4 or 5.
I think this is an archetype. Mine was a laid back womens basketball coach who liked to story tell. He is the reason I have the bar trick where I can do all of the presidents in order using abbreviations (like Wash, Ad, Jeff, Mad, Mo ...)