Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Twitter!

Post by Mo » 12 Apr 2018, 11:32

Andrew wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:19
Mo wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 03:00
He is inflammatory, but I don’t think it’s core to his appeal. Look at the lifecycle of Cindy Sheehan’s popularity.
Super popular until Team Blue got the presidency and then furiously ignored because she continued to protest the wars that the Team Blue president didn't stop?
They got tired of her before Obama was president. She was dissed by Kos folks in 2007.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Apr 2018, 12:55

Ignoring any claims about right to life and pretending that religious Christians don't believe what they say they believe (they *really* just want a subclass of impoverished women because they're misogynists!) is a classic example of the Left being deliberately provocative.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Apr 2018, 13:23

Andrew wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:19
Mo wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 03:00
He is inflammatory, but I don’t think it’s core to his appeal. Look at the lifecycle of Cindy Sheehan’s popularity.
Super popular until Team Blue got the presidency and then furiously ignored because she continued to protest the wars that the Team Blue president didn't stop?
Bingo.

But, Jesus. The supposed equivalent of the long careers of raving, batshit sociopathy of Coulter and company is... Some kid who's angry about guns because there was a goddamn massacre at his school? WTF?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Apr 2018, 13:31

have you seen the crisis actors piece that vice did? it will not help endear him to you *at all*.

eta: caveats for being a kid or whatever but it's not like this is some kind of accidental pathway beyond the initial incident.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Apr 2018, 17:44

dhex wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 13:31
have you seen the crisis actors piece that vice did? it will not help endear him to you *at all*.
I thought the question was not "is he endearing" but "is he actually a left-wing equivalent to right-wing firebrands of the "the state should execute my enemies" or "mass ethnic-based roundups of American citizens is fine" variety, or whatever. I have not yet seen his name of the masthead of any left-wing publications, nor has he published any books a la "Treason: Gun Owners' Treachery Throughout the Last Century," which hit the best-seller list because any subscriber to any left-wing political rag got a free copy of the book alongside it....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Apr 2018, 18:09

That's got nothing to do with Nicole's entertaining antipathy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Apr 2018, 18:25

dhex wrote:

eta: caveats for being a kid or whatever but it's not like this is some kind of accidental pathway beyond the initial incident.
*googles the Vice story*

So, conspiracists are claiming the guy's a plant, and...?
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Apr 2018, 18:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:25
dhex wrote:

*googles the Vice story*

I won't claim he's a plant, but I will note these kids did not develop an organization. They were picked up by the usual collection of lefty orgs and pushed forward.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Apr 2018, 18:37

tr0g wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:30
Eric the .5b wrote:
dhex wrote:

*googles the Vice story*

I won't claim he's a plant, but I will note these kids did not develop an organization. They were picked up by the usual collection of lefty orgs and pushed forward.
And so...?

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Apr 2018, 18:41

Dangerman wrote:Ignoring any claims about right to life and pretending that religious Christians don't believe what they say they believe (they *really* just want a subclass of impoverished women because they're misogynists!) is a classic example of the Left being deliberately provocative.
I’m pretty sure Trump could perform an abortion on 5th Avenue and maintain 75% evangelical support. “That baby was going to vote Democrat anyway, it was being born in NYC!”
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Apr 2018, 18:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
dhex wrote:

*googles the Vice story*

[Skims through story] And, he doesn't sound like someone keeping "respect for the second amendment" at the forefront of his mind, somehow. Also many people are accusing him and his family of lying about the whole "mass shooting at Parkland High" thing.

Which, apparently, proves that professional left-wing trolls really are as commonplace as professional right-wing trolls, somehow? On the right wing, you've got a POTUS who refuses to condemn literal swastika-waving Nazis; a racist AG who thinks the KKK is A-OK except that some of them smoke weed; a Congress and Senate that would rather suck up to POTUS than do what's best for the country; Steve Bannon the unapologetic white supremacist; Ann Coulter the open Islamophobe who's been toeing the line into outright white supremacy and Jew-bashing, but at least PART of her foot stays on the "non-evil" side of that line, some of the time; Michelle Malkin defending Japanese internment and suggesting we should maybe do the same with Muslims or Arabs today; James O'Keefe who keeps getting funding for his deliberate-lie videos ... and on the left-wing, you've got Ta-Nehisi Coates criticizing Trumps' white supremacist leanings, AND a teenager who is somewhat traumatized by the whole "My friends got murdered and I almost did too" thing.

Regarding the idea that Coates criticizing white supremacy on the left is as bad as openly embracing white supremacy is on the right -- IIRC, that was another one of Randian's favored argumentative tactics before coming out of the racist closet: noticing and complaining about racism is JUST AS BAD as actually being a racist! Coates complaining abut Trump's racism is as bad as Trump's racism itself! The alt-right in general promotes that idea, and definitely would agree with Jason's take on Coates and Hogg.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Apr 2018, 18:48

Jennifer wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:44
Ann Coulter the open Islamophobe who's been toeing the line into outright white supremacy and Jew-bashing, but at least PART of her foot stays on the "non-evil" side of that line, some of the time
...Which part?

Also, regarding this whole conversation:

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Apr 2018, 18:50

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:37
tr0g wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:30
And so...?
Yeah, that's where I'm at.

These kids are sympathetic figures, but if left alone they would go down one or more of the following paths:
-Assimilation into ineffectual lefty advocacy groups.
-In-fighting that destroys their efficacy but provides popcorn.
-Fading as 15 minutes of fame ends.
-Moving on and focusing on college and other post-high school pursuits.

Treating them as dangerous, subjecting them to tasteless mockery over their college admissions odyssey, and running around pointing out that they're actually Astroturf just boosts their most precious asset, i.e. their sympathetic appeal.

Leave them alone and their value to the gun control movement will plummet even faster. Mock them and you make them sympathetic while eroding sympathy for those who care about gun rights.

Then again, "Make ourselves as unsympathetic as possible" seems to be the NRA's current mission statement, so I guess it makes sense for gun rights advocates to go after these kids.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Apr 2018, 18:57

the nra is very invested in setting everything they have on fire for some reason.

i enjoy nicole's reaction to that kid so his intro salvo in that vid (which is objectively hilarious) was an amuse booshiest.

the topic of the video, however, is profiling the kinds of jerkoffs who have to be an EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENED THAT I DON'T LIKE TRUTHER because something something something who the fuck knows. hobbies have clearly let them down, and meaning in a post-meaning world ain't ever gonna be pretty.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Apr 2018, 19:00

dhex wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:57
the nra is very invested in setting everything they have on fire for some reason.
Brave Patriots have died to protect their Second Amendment right to shoot themselves in the foot. If they don't exercise that right then what's the point?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Apr 2018, 20:18

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:48
Jennifer wrote:
Ann Coulter the open Islamophobe who's been toeing the line into outright white supremacy and Jew-bashing, but at least PART of her foot stays on the "non-evil" side of that line, some of the time
...Which part?
I dunno. Trying to give her some benefit of the doubt, here.

It appears that for some folks, crazy pills are easier to swallow than the radical notion that maybe, just maybe, today's professional right wing (both actual politicians and paid pundits) is actually worse than the left.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Apr 2018, 20:39

Jennifer wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 20:18
Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:48
Jennifer wrote:
...Which part?
I dunno. Trying to give her some benefit of the doubt, here.

It appears that for some folks, crazy pills are easier to swallow than the radical notion that maybe, just maybe, today's professional right wing (both actual politicians and paid pundits) is actually worse than the left.
And that accomplishes what? Is there some insight we can glean from that?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Apr 2018, 20:50

Painboy wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 20:39
And that accomplishes what? Is there some insight we can glean from that?
I dunno. Could simply be "There's no point in discussing certain topics with certain people." Revisiting my "colorblind traffic signal" analogy from upthread -- if I want to discuss or debate "Which colors should I use to decorate my home, adorn my body, or whatever?" I'm not going to ask my colorblind friends. (And if they keep joining in the conversation anyway, repeatedly insisting that red and green are exactly the same and there's no difference between the two -- well, it's good for me to know and understand why they keep saying this.)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Apr 2018, 21:00

So wait, are you trying to decide whether it should be a liberal or conservative professional jerk who's going to decorate your home, or who's going to adorn your body? Because I gotta say, the liberals probably win for interior decorating, but the conservatives are the sharp dressers.

</kidding>
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Twitter!

Post by JasonL » 12 Apr 2018, 21:58

Actually worse is not the discussion. If you think it is you are having a conversation with yourself.

The question is “is the current right more prone to use of triggering language for purposes of stimulating the base?”

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Apr 2018, 22:17

JasonL wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 21:58
Actually worse is not the discussion. If you think it is you are having a conversation with yourself.

The question is “is the current right more prone to use of triggering language for purposes of stimulating the base?”
Uh huh. However, you've already said multiple times that (for example) you believe rhetoric about "abortion is murder" is no different that "women who get abortions should be prosecuted for murder," and you have also said that you see no distinction between "NRA terrorists" and "Yes, I sincerely believe members of the NRA should literally be prosecuted as terrorists."

Since you genuinely seem to believe "Abortion is murder" is equally "triggering" as "women who get abortions should literally be prosecuted for murder" (which of course is NOT the same as either being "worse" and if I think otherwise I am having a conversation with myself, amirite?) -- again, there's a distinction here which most people can see, but you do not.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Apr 2018, 22:44

If most people see it that way they aren’t perceptive.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Apr 2018, 23:28

It’s almost like triggering is in the eye of the beholder

Wait no that’s crazy talk

Also am I really supposed to believe Michelle Malkin adopted her position on internment camps to trigger the left? That doesn’t mesh with my post-9/11 memories.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Apr 2018, 00:35

thoreau wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 19:00
dhex wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:57
Brave Patriots have died to protect their Second Amendment right to shoot themselves in the foot. If they don't exercise that right then what's the point?
If you insist on shooting yourself in the foot, you are advised to remove your foot from your mouth first.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Apr 2018, 00:46

JasonL wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 22:44
If most people see it that way they aren’t perceptive.
Uh huh. Earlier you used the word "delusional" to describe that majority of the human race which makes and notices certain distinctions you do not or cannot. Now you're calling them "not perceptive" instead.