Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: Twitter!

Post by Aresen » 03 Jan 2018, 10:12

There are places here which offer the full service option vs self-serve. However, the only ones that charge a differential are Chevron.

As for that "Tina Good" and "Thomas Mauldin" shown in Mo's first post, I consider this proof positive that leftists are not one IQ point smarter than alt-right knuckle-draggers.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jan 2018, 10:42

nicole wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 09:45
The thing that made me the most angry about that thread were the people who didn't realize the attendant was built into the price of gas. Like, some people who would visit OR or NJ said they were TIPPING these people. I'm like...do you not remember when you could choose to go to the full- OR self-service lanes and there were two different prices for every type of gas?
What's odd is the two cheapest gas stations by me (in Port Chester, NY) are full service only. This is despite the fact that there is no legal requirement for it. I suspect a lot of these people have never/rarely been outside OR and therefore do not have this experience. And NJ has traditionally had cheaper gas than NY/PA/DE, so they have no reason to think gas station attendants cost money.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Jan 2018, 10:47

I ran into that when I was driving to Seattle cross country. I stopped in Oregon briefly to fill up the tank. Not knowing the law I did everything by myself as normal but the pump wouldn't start. Next thing I know an attendant walks up to me and mumbles something about the gas pumping law and pushes the pump button. Thank god he was there to do that or I would have been helpless.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Jan 2018, 12:03

WorldCon apparently had an ideological disagreement with some guy, who happens to be hispanic. They preemptively banned him from attending. I don't have any dog in the disagreement (there are conflicting claims as to what's actually in the CoC and whether his statements count as intent to violate and I can't be arsed) but it led to this wonderful snark:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Jan 2018, 11:20

Ha, a link to jadagul’s tumblr just popped up in my twitter feed (via meaningness via st rev)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Jan 2018, 11:24

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 04 Jan 2018, 11:33

nicole wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 11:20
Ha, a link to jadagul’s tumblr just popped up in my twitter feed (via meaningness via st rev)
Ooh, thanks for the heads-up. (Double amused that the first mention of me calls me "uh, wossname").

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Jan 2018, 12:00

I'm kind of stressed out about the corn thing

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 05 Jan 2018, 12:10

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jan 2018, 13:00

She's all wah wah money is the root of blah blah and I'm like jesus how does everyone who isn't one of these guys not kill himself

Who doesn't want to be rich like this

I mean seriously who doesn't read this and think "I fucked up my entire life by not going into finance"

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 Jan 2018, 13:39

nicole wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 13:00
Who doesn't want to be rich like this

I mean seriously who doesn't read this and think "I fucked up my entire life by not going into finance"
I often feel this way.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Jan 2018, 13:57

Working in finance sounds better than it actually is. There are 3 or 4 people on my team of 16, including me, that are former finance people.
And honestly, it might have been mildly depressing to watch your childhood hero of gonzo anti-establishment humour cracking jokes about statistical arbitrage for a bunch of socially-inept flip-flop wearing millionaires and their dates
I think I would find that sad. Like I saw Steve Miller Band play at a Ripple party at a payments infrastructure conference and 1) noticed he waited until the last 3 songs to play the ones everyone knew, 2) wondered what kind of drug habit he had.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Jan 2018, 14:43

I would also say that finance and financial services is like half a percent those kind of jobs. Bit like technology as a category except elite burnout all over the place. Nobody stays at Goldman. Nobody.

Even among the elite, broadly speaking Asset managers who are good are not like deal makers who are good. The latter are The Worst.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jan 2018, 14:48

Oh I know. And yeah is the Cleese thing sad? Sure, it's sad. Unless you're the guy who can buy John Cleese. Then nothing is ever sad again.

ETA typos

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Jan 2018, 16:05

Cleese?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Jan 2018, 16:08

The best version of that lifestyle is 7 years and out. Then have your foundation or buy a winery or whatever. There's a lot of that kind of money in Napa. Tuscany too for that matter.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Jan 2018, 16:30

Yeah, asset managers and equity/fixed income analysts are fine, but they're an even tinier proportion of the half percent. It's not just the burnout factor, it's that the jobs are largely empty with an air of omniscience. Like it's weird to hear finance dudes talk about some industry like they know the ins and outs of it just because they invest in the sector. I'll take a useless job without the universal delusion of mattering over one with the delusion any day.
JasonL wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 16:08
The best version of that lifestyle is 7 years and out. Then have your foundation or buy a winery or whatever. There's a lot of that kind of money in Napa. Tuscany too for that matter.
Agree. But that's basically 0.1% of the finance folks.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jan 2018, 10:22

reactionary catholic twitter sure is lit this morning

(fml)

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jan 2018, 10:49

The JD Vance for Senate bubblet is Oprah for the center right.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Jan 2018, 11:13

the Capitol Hillbilly.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Jan 2018, 12:16

nicole wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 10:22

(fml)
What happened now?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jan 2018, 12:34

dhex wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 12:16
nicole wrote:

(fml)
What happened now?
As the Catechism puts it, “Baptism seals the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark (character) of his belonging to Christ.” This mark is invisible, and one thus may certainly understand why the Jewish community of the time interpreted Edgardo’s relocation as an act of unjust religious and political hegemony. Their nineteenth-century Gentile sympathizers, who took the Church’s action as an affront to religious liberty, deserve less sympathy. In fact, the Mortara case exacerbated anti-Catholic sentiment in the United States, giving the dying Know-Nothing party a few more years of influence. And prejudiced manipulation of the Mortara case has not disappeared. Steven Spielberg is currently preparing a film adaptation of David Kertzer’s The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara. In order to forestall wrong and unwarranted interpretations, which may include allusions to child abuse, Catholics and other people of good will must acquire a right understanding of baptism and its effects.
https://www.firstthings.com/article/201 ... n-possumus

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Jan 2018, 12:42

On the one I hand, I enjoy how fucking bonkers serious Catholics are, on the other hand, I fear a dystopian quasi-fascist Catholic theocracy, which would probably become regular fascist.

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Jan 2018, 12:49

nicole wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 12:34
dhex wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 12:16
nicole wrote:

(fml)
What happened now?
As the Catechism puts it, “Baptism seals the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark (character) of his belonging to Christ.” This mark is invisible, and one thus may certainly understand why the Jewish community of the time interpreted Edgardo’s relocation as an act of unjust religious and political hegemony. Their nineteenth-century Gentile sympathizers, who took the Church’s action as an affront to religious liberty, deserve less sympathy. In fact, the Mortara case exacerbated anti-Catholic sentiment in the United States, giving the dying Know-Nothing party a few more years of influence. And prejudiced manipulation of the Mortara case has not disappeared. Steven Spielberg is currently preparing a film adaptation of David Kertzer’s The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara. In order to forestall wrong and unwarranted interpretations, which may include allusions to child abuse, Catholics and other people of good will must acquire a right understanding of baptism and its effects.
https://www.firstthings.com/article/201 ... n-possumus
yeah i hadda know

jesus flickin rice you'd think at this point defending kidnapping would be a touchy subject amongst these dingadongs.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jan 2018, 12:51

Calling it kidnapping begs the question! Ross Douthat must repent! Trad dads are rad!