Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: Twitter!

Post by Jadagul » 29 Dec 2017, 17:03

Warren wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 10:55
nicole wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 10:30
Lol of course they don’t

:lol:
All democratic theory? Damn Ezra, read a book why don't you?

In fairness to Klein, he followed up on Twitter later. A political scientist said something like "Welcome to the last fifty years of political science research", and he responded "Yes, I know, I've read that research, but our theorizing about democratic legitimacy has totally resisted internalizing it."

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Dec 2017, 17:12

Jadagul wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 17:03
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
Lol of course they don’t

In fairness to Klein, he followed up on Twitter later. A political scientist said something like "Welcome to the last fifty years of political science research", and he responded "Yes, I know, I've read that research, but our theorizing about democratic legitimacy has totally resisted internalizing it."
Who the fuck does he mean by "our". Since when did any serious political theorist ever believe the people have a roughly accurate view of what's going on? And nevermind the last fifty years, differing views of what's going on is a foundational principle of democratic theory.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Dec 2017, 17:18

Different values, not different facts.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Dec 2017, 17:47

Jadagul wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 17:03
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
Lol of course they don’t

Hahaha I wonder why
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Dec 2017, 19:55

The value shading of facts is not new, nor is the tendency to claim as facts questionable items that are politically expedient. To Julian’s point, it gets worse with each new regulation and law.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Dec 2017, 22:05

tr0g wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 13:38
I have seen nothing from Ezra Klein to contradict my initial impression of overeducated dunce.
He's such a knob that it makes me wonder what the system is gaining by pushing him as the face of the technocratic future. A few that come to mind:

1. His knobbery puts the reader in the position of arguing against him (for either logical or emotional causes), thus validating the overall system (being either for or against his argument still accepts the terms of the debate as "science based" tinkering within the existing system).
2. His knobbery is the point and an attempt to put an unappealing face on technocracy. Get the general public (to the extent they're aware of his existence) to associate "deep political thinkers" with him to give politicians an unspoken justification for ignoring anything that smells technical and instead basing decisions on emotion.
3. His knobbery is not the point but a distraction to get people to focus on him rather than what the system is doing.
4. His knobbery is intentionally used as a way to drive clicks/get more people paying attention to twitter and still accomplish several of the above.
5. Something something scapegoat.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Dec 2017, 23:30

I <3 Kori. Also, the Hell Pig silhouette,

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Dec 2017, 06:08

Mo wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 23:30
I <3 Kori. Also, the Hell Pig silhouette,
You wanna end up extinct? Look like that around us. :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Dec 2017, 11:37

A consequence of the size comparison tweet Mo posted above:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/946917092980350976
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Dec 2017, 12:36

the innominate one wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 11:37
A consequence of the size comparison tweet Mo posted above:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/946917092980350976
Is that utter stupidity or exemplary trolling?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Dec 2017, 10:57

If megalodon is extinct, explain this!

Why the cover-up?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 31 Dec 2017, 11:36

They're in the pocket of big Megalodon.

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jan 2018, 10:08

Taylor Lorenz's twitter is absolutely killing me and also YouTube must die

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Jan 2018, 15:56

nicole wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:08
Taylor Lorenz's twitter is absolutely killing me and also YouTube must die

Most headliner YouTube stuff is about as exciting as Lawrence Welk.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jan 2018, 17:24

Its unreal to me that its a thing, not because new media something old man stuff, but the content is terrible how is that getting eyeballs.

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jan 2018, 17:47

I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

reminder of how truly unbelievably terrible people are

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Jan 2018, 19:59

JasonL wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 17:24
Its unreal to me that its a thing, not because new media something old man stuff, but the content is terrible how is that getting eyeballs.
truth.

however i keep thinking about star trek.

there's something out there for everyone.

my preferred #content is more road rage and binding of isaac playthroughs, but i'm also easily derailed by cartoons about war and pretty women pretending to test vapes. i know full well they picked that specific shirt and that specific thumbnail but post hoc justification is remarkably easy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jan 2018, 20:19

I hate Drew Magary, but this is truth.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jan 2018, 21:36

Haha

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jan 2018, 09:08

Shut down the internet today, we have an early winner.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Jan 2018, 09:45

The thing that made me the most angry about that thread were the people who didn't realize the attendant was built into the price of gas. Like, some people who would visit OR or NJ said they were TIPPING these people. I'm like...do you not remember when you could choose to go to the full- OR self-service lanes and there were two different prices for every type of gas?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jan 2018, 09:48

nicole wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 09:45
The thing that made me the most angry about that thread were the people who didn't realize the attendant was built into the price of gas. Like, some people who would visit OR or NJ said they were TIPPING these people. I'm like...do you not remember when you could choose to go to the full- OR self-service lanes and there were two different prices for every type of gas?
Honestly, most people under forty (and definitely 35) probably do not.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Jan 2018, 09:50

Kolohe wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 09:48
nicole wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 09:45
Honestly, most people under forty (and definitely 35) probably do not.
Well I'm younger than that!

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Jan 2018, 09:51

That does remind me of my personal traumatic gas-pumping story.

When I was five or so, Mom left me to finish pumping the gas while she went inside to pay. (This was presumably before pay-at-the-pump was common). And when it was finished, I pulled the pump out---while releasing the handle. It turns out that this is a bad idea, and both you and your car wind up covered in a thin film of gas.

So my mother comes outside to find me freaking out and covered in gasoline. (Gasoline on exposed skin is not a pleasant feeling, for the record). And then she's worried about how unhealthy this will be for me, and buys me a coke and rushes me home into a bath.

And she kept asking me if there was anywhere I still felt the gas, and the answer was that I felt some on my upper lip. But I was five and also not at my most articulate, so I kept saying "my mouth" and she kept giving me a drink to wash it out with, and that kept not helping, and it took two or three minutes for her to figure out what I was trying to wash.

And this traumatized me so much that I freaked out at the smell of gas and refused to pump gas for like ten years.

The difference between me and the people in that thread is that I was five.

Edit: Nicole, I vaguely remember that now that you mention it, but I was halfway through typing "I definitely don't remember that ever happening!" before the vague memory bubbled up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jan 2018, 10:03

I'm a-gassed (sorry) at how many people think bad things will happen if you have to pump your own gas. How bubblified can you possibly be. The rest of the country has been pumping their own gas for the past forty years people. Long long ago, full service was an option. Gas stations stopped offering it because nobody ever used it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT