Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: Twitter!

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2017, 19:20

the innominate one wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:17
Sandy: please explain tankie.
Apologists for the Soviet Union who defend sending sending tanks into Hungary in 56 and Czechoslovakia in 68.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2017, 19:22

And on the other thing John Vance Garner was FDRs VP who said "The Vice Presidency isn't worth a pitcher of warm piss" (or some versions have bucket of warm spit)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 19:27

Kolohe wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:22
And on the other thing John Vance Garner was FDRs VP who said "The Vice Presidency isn't worth a pitcher of warm piss" (or some versions have bucket of warm spit)
WTF? What other thing? What is "tankie" alluding to? What are you guys talking about?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 19:27

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 18:16
Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 17:13
08 Oct 2017, 12:37
So he's just trolling?
I think Trump Derangement Syndrome is really spreading across the right. I haven't really figured it all out, but they're so knee jerk in their anti-left thing that they are starting to apologize for fascists just to spite the left, and then drinking their own koolaid about it.
TDS afflicts the left and manifests in the need to attribute all manner of evil to, and over demonize the actions of, DJT. The inverse of that, namely justifying and supporting the POTUS, even at his most outrageous, while denigrating the left, is bog standard Sports Barism, albeit in this case a rather extreem form of it.

But D'Souza's Brownshirt tweet doesn't do any of that. It's not in service of the POTUS and it isn't an attack on the left. It's just Froot Loops.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 19:33

Thanks for the explanation, Kolohe.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2017, 19:42

Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:27
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
So he's just trolling?
I think Trump Derangement Syndrome is really spreading across the right. I haven't really figured it all out, but they're so knee jerk in their anti-left thing that they are starting to apologize for fascists just to spite the left, and then drinking their own koolaid about it.
TDS afflicts the left and manifests in the need to attribute all manner of evil to, and over demonize the actions of, DJT. The inverse of that, namely justifying and supporting the POTUS, even at his most outrageous, while denigrating the left, is bog standard Sports Barism, albeit in this case a rather extreem form of it.

But D'Souza's Brownshirt tweet doesn't do any of that. It's not in service of the POTUS and it isn't an attack on the left. It's just Froot Loops.
Naw. TDS afflicts left and right, and manifests differently in the right. In the right, it's previously kinda reasonable people throwing all common sense and basic human decency to the wind in favor of #MAGA lunacy. Part of that is embracing wackadoo bullshit that they previously wouldn't be caught dead within 100 yards of. Like being apologists for the Tiki-torch white supremacy psychos or bending over frontwards to prove that Hitler didn't hate the gays.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 19:46

Aw fuck. You just have to do that don't you. Take a perfectly good turn of phrase and just make it meaningless so we have to come up with another turn of phrase to describe the peculiar gnashing of teeth in response to Trump.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2017, 19:53

Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:46
Aw fuck. You just have to do that don't you. Take a perfectly good turn of phrase and just make it meaningless so we have to come up with another turn of phrase to describe the peculiar gnashing of teeth in response to Trump.
I was using it that way when it became clear that Randroid had become a deranged trumpenprole, I think during the primary, although I could be wrong about the timing.

If you have a suggestion for the batshittery that a bunch of people have swallowed on the right as a result of the Trump candidacy/presidency that is as or more descriptive than Trump Derangement Syndrome, I'm all ears. But there's a huge swath of the right that have gone full deranged - witness D'Souza feeling the need to defend Nazis against unfair accusations of homophobia.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 20:00

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:53
Warren wrote:
I was using it that way when it became clear that Randroid had become a deranged trumpenprole, I think during the primary, although I could be wrong about the timing.

If you have a suggestion for the batshittery that a bunch of people have swallowed on the right as a result of the Trump candidacy/presidency that is as or more descriptive than Trump Derangement Syndrome, I'm all ears. But there's a huge swath of the right that have gone full deranged - witness D'Souza feeling the need to defend Nazis against unfair accusations of homophobia.
I'll grant you that feeling the need to defend Nazis is deranged. I just don't see how that connects to the MAGA train.
Climbing on board that train is Sports Barism pure and simple. Trumps batshittery isn't any more battshit than his two predecessors, save in the way he communicates it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Oct 2017, 20:04

Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 20:00
I'll grant you that feeling the need to defend Nazis is deranged. I just don't see how that connects to the MAGA train.
Climbing on board that train is Sports Barism pure and simple. Trumps batshittery isn't any more battshit than his two predecessors, save in the way he communicates it.
Charlotteville
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 20:06

Yeah, I remember when Obama was constantly saber rattling with deranged dictators and calling them by juvenile derogatory nicknames in front of the U.N. I also recall Obama and Bush undercutting their own secretaries of state. Trump's just the same as those other guys. Nothing to see here.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Oct 2017, 20:17

Hasn't D'Souza been going down the batshit racist path for a while? Like right around the time they finally got tired of Derbyshire's shit?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Oct 2017, 20:25

lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:

I think he's actually saying that gayness is linked to Nazism.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 20:26

08 Oct 2017, 20:06
Yeah, I remember when Obama was constantly saber rattling with deranged dictators and calling them by juvenile derogatory nicknames in front of the U.N. I also recall Obama and Bush undercutting their own secretaries of state. Trump's just the same as those other guys. Nothing to see here.
Like I said, his vulgar and frequent twits are something new. But what he said at the U.N. was zero change in the US position re: NK. (BTW Kim won the battle of juvenile derogatory nicknames. Dotard! Ha!) Obama did replace his SOS after she screwed the pooch in benghazi, he just didn't go public with the "you're fired".

You can make the case that it's better not to say everything you think when the whole world is watching. But aside from that, there really isn't anything new here.
Last edited by Warren on 08 Oct 2017, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 20:28

Congratulations on your black belt in missing the point.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2017, 20:28

Wait what? Clinton wasn't fired over Benghazi, she quit to make some dough and run for Prez.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 20:29

08 Oct 2017, 20:28
Congratulations on your black belt in missing the point.
Thanks! :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Oct 2017, 20:33

Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 20:00
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:

You do know communication, particularly with foreign powers, is a key function of the executive. Literally three of the first four responsibilities of the president in Article Two are communication (SOTU, recommendations to Congress and receiving foreign ambassadors).
Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 20:26
Like I said. His vulgar and frequent twits are something new. But what he said at the U.N. was zero change in the US position re: NK. (BTW Kim won the battle of juvenile derogatory nicknames. Dotard! Ha!) Obama did replace his SOS after she screwed the pooch in benghazi, he just didn't go public with the "you're fired".
Dotard is not a juvenile term. Also, replacing someone for screwing the pooch is pretty standard stuff.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2017, 07:33

lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
So he's just trolling?
I don't think this is an apology; for D'Souza, it's an indictment. It's part of his proof that Nazis and Democrats are the same.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2017, 10:23

nicole wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 07:33
I don't think this is an apology; for D'Souza, it's an indictment. It's part of his proof that Nazis and Democrats are the same.
How does that work?

Hitler was not anti-gay.
Democrats are not anti-gay.
Therefore Democrats are Hitler?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2017, 11:41

Warren wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:23
nicole wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 07:33
How does that work?

Hitler was not anti-gay.
Democrats are not anti-gay.
Therefore Democrats are Hitler?
Well it's what his whole new book is about.

But in this context, yes.

Edited to fix link

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 11:55

The idea that Dinesh D'Souza made an incoherent and illogical claim regarding American history and culture or sociological cause and effect should not be surprising. See also: every Fox News talking head, past and present.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 11:58

That poll doesn't show what you claim it shows.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2017, 16:47

ayfkm
Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn’s Senate campaign announcement ad has been blocked by Twitter over a statement the abortion rights opponent makes about the sale of fetal tissue for medical research.

Blackburn, who is running for the seat being opened by the retirement of Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, boasts in the ad that she “stopped the sale of baby body parts.” A Twitter representative told the candidate’s vendors on Monday that the statement was “deemed an inflammatory statement that is likely to evoke a strong negative reaction:

Twitter said the Blackburn campaign would be allowed to run the rest of the video if the flagged statement is omitted. While the decision keeps Blackburn from paying to promote the video on Twitter, it doesn’t keep it from being linked from YouTube and other platforms.
https://apnews.com/0d8828bd7d204b40af61172628d0a7f6

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 17:16

Are you outraged at Twitter or the candidate?

In the universe where I run Twitter, I'd just say you can't run an ad on my service that's obviously, demonstrably bullshit, and forget all the mealy-mouthed feel-good bullshit about evoking a strong negative reaction.