Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Twitter!

Post by Ellie » 06 Oct 2010, 13:29

I'm @topologie, not that I ever tweet anything interesting.

Stevo, your comment yesterday cracked me up.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Eric the .5b

Re: Twitter!

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Oct 2010, 13:58

Semiapies.

I don't normally post 50 responses to some random meme. It just entertained people that I did that once. :)

EDIT: Great avatar pic, Ellie!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Oct 2010, 14:08

I have a SRSLY question about the twitter. If there theoretically were an idea that required >144 characters to express, would the twitterbot just say "I'm sorry @Dave, I can't let you do that", or does the text window just stop accepting characters?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Oct 2010, 17:00

Hugh Akston wrote:I have a SRSLY question about the twitter. If there theoretically were an idea that required >144 characters to express, would the twitterbot just say "I'm sorry @Dave, I can't let you do that", or does the text window just stop accepting characters?
On some clients, it will use a service that stores the extended tweet and appends a URL to the first 140 characters of your tweet minus the amount for the URL. On most and I believe on Twitter itself, it just doesn't keep the extra characters in the tweet.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Oct 2010, 17:35

Hugh Akston wrote:I have a SRSLY question about the twitter. If there theoretically were an idea that required >144 characters to express, would the twitterbot just say "I'm sorry @Dave, I can't let you do that", or does the text window just stop accepting characters?
Or does it evacuate the air supply in a bid to destroy you?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Oct 2010, 17:55

I sometimes see people preface a tweet with (1/2) if it's just barely too long.

Of course, I once saw Reihan Salaam preface a tweet with (1/6) which is really a sign you should just post on your blog.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Oct 2010, 18:03

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 06 Oct 2010, 22:30

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Evacuating that Air Supply would be a bid to save you. Unless it was evacuating them from obscurity.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Oct 2010, 17:56

RT @dynamoe: Lady on Hoarders, "Walking into my bedroom is walking into a minefield. Literally." If that's true, this would be the best episode ever!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Dec 2010, 17:12

If you're not following @stevodarkly I am sorry you hate joy so much.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 16 Dec 2010, 19:19

Aw, thank you, Ellie.

Actually, I've been meaning to write up a guide to my followers/followees that you should also be following, and who you might want to avoid, and then post it here, but I haven't had time.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Dec 2010, 15:05

When you follow someone, what determines which tweets are shown on your home page? What shows up is not a complete set of what has been tweeted by any given individual over the time period displayed.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Dec 2010, 02:17

Typically their direct replies to other twitterfolk are only shown on followers twitter feeds if they follow the person replied to.

Basically, if a tweet from @lunch starts with '@stevo ' then only stevo will see it, unless there's someone who follows both @stevo and @lunch. If lunch wants all his followers to see his reply to stevo, whether they follow stevo or not, then he has to put something before the @stevo, like '. @stevo - you win at teh intarwebs!'

Otherwise, all tweets should generally show up, but there may be more to it than that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Dec 2010, 09:11

Interesting! Thanks, lunchstealer! I actually find the twitter interface distracting so I subscribe to the rss feed of everyone I follow and read it all in Google Reader, which does show all tweets.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 20 Dec 2010, 05:39

Ellie wrote:Interesting! Thanks, lunchstealer! I actually find the twitter interface distracting so I subscribe to the rss feed of everyone I follow and read it all in Google Reader, which does show all tweets.
I do that too--don't have a twitter account--but I find it really annoying that it pulls tweets in chunks, so if two people I read have a conversation I get all the tweets from one of them and then all the tweets from the other.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Dec 2010, 20:43

Endless, sloppy love to Stevo and lunchstealer for letting me be a real meme-launcher, however briefly. 8-)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Dec 2010, 20:11

Seen on a non-public feed:

"A wise man gave two secrets to success in life: 1) Don't tell people everything you know. 2)"

"For Xmas, the GI Joe and Star Wars lines need to add 'The Bureaucrat'; this plastic toys would of course be 'Inaction Figures'"

"Mary, Joesph, I have the test reults here and.... Joseph, you are *not* the father. #MauryChristmas"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Jan 2011, 19:49

What are twitter programs/apps/whatever that people like?
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Jan 2011, 19:50

Eric the .5b wrote:What are twitter programs/apps/whatever that people like?
I use the f1 extension for firefox to quickly tweet about a webpage.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Jan 2011, 19:54

In my case, mainly for reading. I don't follow a huge number of people, but I'd like a nice, clear view of folks' tweets with the oldest at the top, not one-third of the page devoted to the tweets and the rest to things I'm uninterested in.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Jan 2011, 20:08

I just hope I never have to sit through a movie about the guy who came up with Twitter becoming a multi-billionaire as a result.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 19 Jan 2011, 22:07

It takes some getting used to, but the new Twitter for Mac (aka Tweetie 2 for Mac) doesn't entirely suck. A couple of things are less intuitive than they should be, but I've gotten used to it.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jan 2011, 02:18

I use Echofon on iPhone, but not on my compy. I know Timothy uses Seesmic, but I can't recall if that's a phone app or a compy app. I think it's a phone app, and maybe he uses Tweetdeck from compy? I think I tried that one, and kinda liked it as these things go.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 23 Jan 2011, 02:45

lunchstealer wrote:I use Echofon on iPhone, but not on my compy. I know Timothy uses Seesmic, but I can't recall if that's a phone app or a compy app. I think it's a phone app, and maybe he uses Tweetdeck from compy? I think I tried that one, and kinda liked it as these things go.
I use Seesmic from the computer, don't have a smart phone. Phone posts I text in. Seesmic also has a web option so you don't have to install anything. Tweetdeck was bullshit after awhile.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Mar 2011, 03:10

I am extremely proud of this!

Over on Twitter, @wesingyourtweet put one of my posts to music. This is the realization of a longstanding dream of mine. Wonderfully done.

View video performance at:
http://wesingyourtweets.posterous.com/r ... tevodarkly

Length: 1 minute 42 seconds.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.