Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Twitter!

Post by nicole » 12 Mar 2018, 14:57

Same
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Mar 2018, 16:41

I have to admit, a really big chunk of all musicians I've encountered—including the people I helped interview on a podcast—have been about that dumb. Of course, the rest of them include people who are whip-smart. (Mostly the ones with some modicum of life experience.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Mar 2018, 18:07

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Mar 2018, 18:21

I was retweeted by Popehat!

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Mar 2018, 19:39

It was quality twittering.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2018, 03:49

thoreau wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 18:21
I was retweeted by Popehat!

Congrats! I never knew you were on Twitter. You are now being followed.

... eeew, that sounded really creepy.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Mar 2018, 14:47

This is riveting.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Mar 2018, 15:00

That was fun, I was considering posting it here, but you beat me to it. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Mar 2018, 15:06

*twirls moustache*
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2018, 15:06

oh man that was amazing

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Mar 2018, 22:32

Mo wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:47
This is riveting.

I haven't clicked on the thread yet but I'm honestly SO EXCITED
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Mar 2018, 07:01

What the hell was that
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 31 Mar 2018, 14:10

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Twitter!

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Mar 2018, 18:21

Is lie of dirty Kossacks. Am normal American human, comrade.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Apr 2018, 19:05

". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Apr 2018, 15:06

Thank god for small mercies

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Apr 2018, 11:53

Matt Yglesias just exploded every irony meter in the galaxy.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Apr 2018, 11:57

He's probably not wrong.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Apr 2018, 15:46

Nah, that's going way too far.

The whining about Williamson is funny, though. It seems like the Reds underestimated the degree of batshit nuttery they'd moved into mainstream conversation.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2018, 16:10

Also, the NRO folks are bitching despite firing Derb for shit he wrote elsewhere as well. They also fired a dude for attending a white nationalist convention. Derb is closer to the conservative Overton Window than hang women for abortions is from the center.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Apr 2018, 17:45

I think I figured out what rubs me the wrong way, a bit, about the Williamson firing. (This doesn't mean I think the firing was wrong or that they shouldn't have done it. Just why it feels bad).

They fired Derbyshire when he wrote the column. The editors found out about it, and said, "well, fuck that." It feels like the editors genuinely thought he no longer fit the mission, and so fired him.

With Williamson, nothing changed between the hiring and the firing, except a bunch of people getting really angry. (This isn't quite true---the editors probably/plausibly didn't actually know about the particular piece in question. But it wasn't like the piece was a secret, either). Thus it feels like he was fired, not for being a shitty and/or offensive writer, but because a lot of people got really mad. It feels like a heckler's veto.

Obviously, the idealization that you should hire people without regard to what your readers thing is unrealistic. But it feels like the ideal, and Williamson feels like a violation of that ideal.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Apr 2018, 18:57

I think what was the tipping point for Goldberg was that Williamson presumably said the “hang women who had abortions” thing was being provocative on Twitter (imagine that). It was only after the NR podcast where he calmly talked about it, explained why he believed it and didn’t water it down, that he was fired. Even now, the defenses of him are that he doesn’t believe in ex post facto punishments, so he doesn’t want to hang the women who already had them, which is an odd defense.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Apr 2018, 19:47

Sure. I'm not defending his views, and I'm not even really arguing that the Atlantic shouldn't have fired him.

But emotionally, it feels like he was fired "because a lot of people got mad" rather than "because he said stupid things and we don't want to hire someone who writes stupid things". I'm comfortable with the second and much less so with the first.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Apr 2018, 14:49

The hecklers veto is a religious rite of the identity left.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Apr 2018, 15:04

Jadagul wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 19:47
Sure. I'm not defending his views, and I'm not even really arguing that the Atlantic shouldn't have fired him.

But emotionally, it feels like he was fired "because a lot of people got mad" rather than "because he said stupid things and we don't want to hire someone who writes stupid things". I'm comfortable with the second and much less so with the first.
It' not that he said "stupid" things, but things which many Americans consider to be -- for lack of a better word -- evil. The Overton window has shifted much closer toward right-wing extremism these past couple of years, but not to the point where "Let's make America the kind of place where any woman who has a miscarriage gets investigated for a death-penalty offense" is considered another "Hey, let's just agree to disagree" matter.

(Remember, too, the commonplace hypocrisy among supposed opponents of abortion: the alleged "pro-life" politico who nonetheless pays for his mistress or daughter to get an abortion. These people have money enough that they can afford to shrug off typical anti-abortion laws, which "only" boil down to "Lets make abortion a lot more difficult and expensive to get in the US or various states therein, but of course if you can afford travel costs and time off work, it's quite easy to get an abortion regardless of the law in your locality." However, if abortion were made an actual death penalty offense, I don't know that the "Just travel elsewhere to have the procedure done" loophole would still apply. )
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b