Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Re: Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled l

Post by thoreau » 02 Jan 2017, 23:39

Lately I'm able to recall dreams quite vividly while awake...until I try to turn them into words. Then suddenly the details of most dreams vanish from my mind. But I still remember a few dreams.

But last night I dreamed that I was in some competition where first I had to run an obstacle course with a doctor, then the doctor had to do a bunch of surgeries, and the winner was the team that finished the obstacle course and surgeries first. So I'm hanging out in the OR like "OK, I don't know what to do here, but we're on the same team so I'm supposed to be here with you, right?" and he's all "No, you should leave so I can take care of the patients." So I leave, relieved that I don't have to be in the OR, but then in order to find out if we won I will have to buy a plane ticket to a conference in another city and I don't want to spend the money to find out if I won this bullshit contest but a bunch of friends in science are going and chiding me for not attending. And the doctor is actually somebody who is a very casual acquaintance in real life, so for a while I was all "Damn, he's going to think I'm such a weirdo for joining this competition with him."

A few nights before that I was supposed to enlist in the Air Force (at the tender age of 39) and I was all worried because I hadn't notified my employer that I wouldn't be able to teach my classes this coming quarter.

A few nights before that there was some snafu in the election and I was going to become President for a few weeks until Trump could take over, so I'm running around trying to get things done to be ready for the job, but since it's only for a few weeks I can't just quit my teaching job, so I'm teaching by day and trying to set up a temporary administration by night. And let me tell you, it's hard to do both jobs at once! At least in the dream world.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Jan 2017, 10:53

Jake wrote:My sleeping brain was Johnny-on-the-spot, though, and quickly came up with the most unobtrusive, believable, and unremarkable name possible: "Desbit Foam."
:lol: :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jan 2017, 13:52

thoreau wrote:A few nights before that there was some snafu in the election and I was going to become President for a few weeks until Trump could take over, so I'm running around trying to get things done to be ready for the job, but since it's only for a few weeks I can't just quit my teaching job, so I'm teaching by day and trying to set up a temporary administration by night. And let me tell you, it's hard to do both jobs at once! At least in the dream world.
I had a similar thing a few years back, where possibly due to some natural disaster, I had to become Senator for CA. To do so, I had to marry a girl I'd known in college, because it was her late father I was replacing. There was some sort of weird obscure constitutional reason it had to be me, because otherwise some Winklevoss type guy would take that seat and something something collapse of civilization.

I think it was in the Lucifer's Hammer world.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Jan 2017, 09:28

I was in the early stages of preparing to move, when I remembered there was kind of a big thing I had to take care of before I could: the dead body I'd been hiding in my closet for so long I'd forgotten about it, because I knew it would be a while before I was going to move so I could help out a friend who had accidentally killed someone by hiding the body. And then I was like WHOA and woke up, and had to drag myself out of bed in the middle of the night to immediately see if the dead body was real. Of course it was, I realized as I was ripping off layers of balaclavas I'd used to cover its face with.

And then I woke up.

(Corpse played by the special needs sister of a childhood friend.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jan 2017, 10:09

I've had oddly plot driven semi coherent dreams I can sorta remember for the past month.

One involved me and dad on either a cruise ship or in a swanky hotel devising increasingly complex and improbable schemes to get into the room with the good dessert trays.

Last night was a Dan Brown sort of plot with me and my wife and some people I can't remember working to solve The Big Secret and it turned out you needed to know how to use the oldest stupidest legacy system at my real life job. I woke up and luled about that one.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Jan 2017, 12:11

I was going back to grad school, younger but not all that much younger, like everyone knew it didn't make sense but no one cared. I'm sure this was triggered by the fact that I'm about to go visit the colleges I attended with my son next weekend, but it's a dream I've had periodically over the years and it's pretty much always the same. No problem re-enrolling but I don't have a car and can't find a place to stay.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Jan 2017, 07:01

I was advising Donald Trump, who was sitting in a cubicle, on a speech he was writing. He wanted to praise some other writer, and kept getting hung up on the words he wanted to use. Which was frustrating because the speech was supposed to be about something completely different.

Finally, I said "Sir" - in the Sir voice a Senior Chief does to an Ensign - "Sir, just use one of the blurbs on the cover of one of your books".
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Jan 2017, 12:55

I dreamt that my Dean got fired because she offended someone, and I nearly got fired for not immediately stopping in the hallway when they rang a bell to announce her firing. I was disappointed by her firing because I am starting to have fun messing with her.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Jan 2017, 13:48

thoreau wrote:I dreamt that my Dean got fired because she offended someone, and I nearly got fired for not immediately stopping in the hallway when they rang a bell to announce her firing. I was disappointed by her firing because I am starting to have fun messing with her.
Rang a bell like the Septa in the Shame Shame Shame Walk?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jan 2017, 08:13

I have had several dreams now set at a run down free clinic. I don't know if I'm volunteering, or waiting to be seen, or just hanging out, but last night someone finally acknowledged how weird it is that Danny Glover and Kevin Spacey are doctors there.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jan 2017, 10:45

I have a brochure to design for work and last night I dreamed that I did it all wrong. On the one hand, nice to know that was a dream, but on the other hand, I basically have to live through designing it twice.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Feb 2017, 11:36

Huh. I'm kind of used to the whole 'you go back to school' thing. One I've had recently is where, for whatever reason, I go back to my undergrad alma mater for a second undergrad degree. A lot of it is oh-god-I'm-a-40-something-man-and-all-my-peers-are-18-22, which is weird on its own. Then of course I get most of the way through the semester and realize there are a bunch of classes that I signed up for that I haven't gone to all year, because it's a back-in-school dream.

This time I managed a new twist. I was back at school, but only for graduation. And we were going back for the graduation ceremony after several years away. Not at my current age, more like late 20s early 30s, but set now with my current access to technology. But the school was doing a sort of reverse-freshman-orientation weekend, and at one of the events, a guy gave us a quick lecture on how to do a presentation, and then wanted us to do such a presentation on a topic of our choice, starting in two hours, complete with slides. Everyone was really excited, but I was all, I didn't bring my laptop, and didn't even have an iPad to do Keynote on. Plus I don't know how to use Keynote. Also we were supposed to break into groups of two so we could encourage each other and practice giving the presentation to each other, and nobody really remembered me so I didn't have any friends to do it with, just sort of distant acquaintances, but everyone else seemed to know each other.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Feb 2017, 12:50

I dreamed that I went to Gryllicon pretending to be D.A. Ridgely. I was feeling more and more guilty about it, so I decided I'd tell everyone that I had just been pretending. I felt sure you guys had figured it out and were just playing along. But you were all shocked and angry when I revealed I was actually Ellie.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Feb 2017, 13:20

Did you have a hat or something?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Feb 2017, 13:40

I think I was wearing a bald cap?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Feb 2017, 20:43

Ellie wrote:I think I was wearing a bald cap?
BANNED!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Feb 2017, 11:47

Last night I had a long, horrible, vivid nightmare about being a teenager and being sent to a reform school where they beat the shit out of all the kids. The funny thing is, what was making me furious in the dream was not the physical abuse, but that the school's philosophy was based in pseudoscience, and they kept making us watch all these woo videos, and nobody would listen when I pointed out what bullshit it was.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2017, 11:48

Ellie wrote:Last night I had a long, horrible, vivid nightmare about being a teenager and being sent to a reform school where they beat the shit out of all the kids. The funny thing is, what was making me furious in the dream was not the physical abuse, but that the school's philosophy was based in pseudoscience, and they kept making us watch all these woo videos, and nobody would listen when I pointed out what bullshit it was.
Ghastly.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Feb 2017, 21:35

Last night I dreamed I met Jay Grayson, David Foster, and Commander Worf. Also, there was some awkward sex thing (not involving them).
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Feb 2017, 11:11

I had another horrible vivid nightmare last night -- this time it was that my parents, kids, and I were all in a van driving back from the Black Hills and a cop pulled us over and harassed us and then got back in his car and started trying to drive us off the road.

The funny things in the dream were that my usual dream discalculia was in full swing -- I was trying to write down the cop's license plate and I would see 1, say "2," and write "3" -- and that our van was being driven by Tony Hale. Pretty sure that's because I just watched the episode of RuPaul's Drag Race with David Sedaris as a guest judge and I couldn't' get over how much he looked and sounded like Buster Bluth.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2017, 11:56

Ellie wrote:Pretty sure that's because I just watched the episode of RuPaul's Drag Race with David Sedaris as a guest judge and I couldn't' get over how much he looked and sounded like Buster Bluth.
RuPaul is the only name in that sentence that I recognize.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Feb 2017, 10:31

I was at some school event and I was either a photographer or I was helping the real photographer (who I knew was out there working, but I don't recall interacting with). Anyway I had to reload the film on a camera and I was having a hard time of it, which was all the more frustrating because I was trying to take a picture of a cute but surly brunette who was already barely tolerating my presence.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Feb 2017, 10:15

I dreamed David found some old writing I did for an RPG in another forum, and he was reading it aloud and making fun of the geography in it. He got out a map and showed me all the seas that border France. "Well, I said the Atlantic Sea; it's not like I said it was on the Indian Ocean," I harrumphed. Then I woke up and realized that in the dream, France occupied the southern half of Great Britain. Even my subconscious sucks at geography.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Feb 2017, 10:20

Last night I dreamed I was designing some sort of poster, and I asked the forums for feedback. It had a giant picture of a duck on it. Sandy said, "Well, I don't know about this context, but a duck inside of a square means something different to programmers."

I assume my subconscious was thinking of this. Thanks, dream Sandy!

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Feb 2017, 10:27

Ellie wrote:Last night I dreamed I was designing some sort of poster, and I asked the forums for feedback. It had a giant picture of a duck on it. Sandy said, "Well, I don't know about this context, but a duck inside of a square means something different to programmers."

I assume my subconscious was thinking of this. Thanks, dream Sandy!
FWIW I approve of giant ducks in almost any context.