Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled l

Post by Ellie » 02 Sep 2015, 22:43

:P
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Sep 2015, 12:28

Forget hot lesbian sex; last night I dreamed somebody put together a fundraiser for me and raised $167,000. That one was really, really painful to wake up from.

JD

Post by JD » 15 Sep 2015, 12:45

Last night I dreamed that I was reading a technical manual or something like that at a big table, and then I noticed that the table was actually more like a console or control panel. I thought, "Man, this thing is really complicated, almost like a jet plane's cockpit."

And then I noticed that it was a jet plane's cockpit - a big one, like a jumbo jet. And the plane seemed to be out of control. I saw that I could control it (using something like a mouse, I think), and slowly I managed to more or less get the thing flying straight. Except that I was flying directly at a city that looked a lot like Las Vegas. I struggled with the controls and managed to just barely clear the highest skyscrapers, and I felt pretty good about myself...and then I noticed that the plane was still sinking towards buildings. Again I managed to steer around them, but I had to conclude that I was going to crash-land.

I managed to put the plane down on its belly, and it started to skid around in a curve, towards another building. We just barely missed that one and curved around it as we slowed, and the plane ended up just outside the doorway of a restaurant. I thought, "Ha - pretty neat, huh? Think I'll get some lunch" as curious people crowded around the plane.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Oct 2015, 23:22

I dreamed about a channel that had all original shows, all set in the 1950s . Their most popular show was about Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Now you're just being embarrassing, subconscious.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Oct 2015, 08:26

I was recruited by some government archive to digitize old intelligence documents. There were three people in my role: one who did books, one who did audio and video, and me, who did photos and microfilm. The office was disguised as a small business like in Three Days of the Condor, but it had been raided recently, which is why they got rid the old guys. It did not take me long to hire a skinny young assistant to work on some of the longer reels. But I was inordinately fascinated with a short film of maybe three or four shots.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2015, 10:51

Hugh Akston wrote:I was recruited by some government archive to digitize old intelligence documents. There were three people in my role: one who did books, one who did audio and video, and me, who did photos and microfilm. The office was disguised as a small business like in Three Days of the Condor, but it had been raided recently, which is why they got rid the old guys. It did not take me long to hire a skinny young assistant to work on some of the longer reels. But I was inordinately fascinated with a short film of maybe three or four shots.
This is an excellent trailer. Would wait for the first round of reviews, and would probably watch at home.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2015, 10:59

I want to hear what's on the secret Kennedy assassination video. You know, the high definition digital video full cut that the alien Zapruder made.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2015, 08:25

Totally just dreamed I got a sort-of-face tattoo that was almost certainly a mistake.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Nov 2015, 10:14

nicole wrote:Totally just dreamed I got a sort-of-face tattoo that was almost certainly a mistake.
"[F]ace tattoo that was almost certainly a mistake" is a tautology.

Well, except for a prison lifers' teardrop tat after shiving his cellmate instead of becoming his bitch.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Nov 2015, 09:57

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
nicole wrote:Totally just dreamed I got a sort-of-face tattoo that was almost certainly a mistake.
"[F]ace tattoo that was almost certainly a mistake" is a tautology.

Well, except for a prison lifers' teardrop tat after shiving his cellmate instead of becoming his bitch.
Yeah, but not necessarily so in a dream.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Nov 2015, 06:46

I dreamt that I was going bald in a weird way. The horror!
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 24 Nov 2015, 01:32

I dreamt about doing laundry.

Sigh.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Nov 2015, 09:43

Had the classic forgot-about-the-final dream about a group project that I'm pretty sure I had been assigned in a previous dream. It was for some kind of bio seminar where we were supposed to design and run an experiment. Ours was about flower pigments or something and I had done no work for it before this group meeting like two weeks later. I suggested making up the time by limiting our test area to just the campus. One of the girls in my group was very upset at me because she was sure that groups in previous years that had slacked or "gone to tape" as she put it had failed the final miserably. She also seemed like she was sick or something. Anyway, in my defense, the reason I didn't do any work despite the occasional nagging reminder in the waking world is that I was pretty sure that I had been out of school for a decade or so.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Dec 2015, 15:24

I was waiting for my food at el Pollo Loco and found that Nick Gillespie was a few people ahead of me. He didn't know who I was or care (just like real life!) until I started reminiscing with a young Leonardo DiCaprio. We were both struggling to remember the names of the ping pong movies that earned us Golden Globes nominations, and also whether or not we had won. I started to use the restaurant's laughably underpowered public internet terminal to look it up, but stopped in order to help an older man find a local branch of his bank so he could dispute the bill that el Pollo Loco had overcharged him.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Dec 2015, 14:05

Had a typically surreal Sisyphus dream -- the kind where you keep trying and keep failing to do something ridiculously simple -- but the strangest part was at the very end: I was trying to find my car at night in an enormous, unlit parking lot (though I did have a flashlight), and the task was made even more difficult because every car I shone the flashlight on looked like mine, only with very slight differences. But as I kept trudging through the lot I suddenly realized that I was dreaming and would never dream that I found my car; if I wanted to stop searching for it I'd have to wake up. And then I did.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 31 Dec 2015, 10:10

Police detective Kate Mulgrew an her partner Kevin Bacon were tracking leads on a heist that Mulgrew had pulled with her criminal crew. Every time a new lead broke in the case, Mulgrew et al would have to get it back or cover it up, without compromising her dual identity. By the end of the dream, I wasn't sure whether anyone on the criminal side knew she was also a cop. It also wasn't clear whether she was deliberately feeding Bacon bad tips to throw him off the trail, or good info to help him solve the case, and why.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 31 Dec 2015, 14:28

I dreamed I accidentally became a contestant on Top Chef. I couldn't cook at all. At one point I was stirring "risotto" that turned out to be a dirty pot from cooking rice that was waiting to be washed. I kept asking the judges to send me home, but in every challenge sometime else made a more egregious error and left instead. It was an incredibly stressful dream!

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Dec 2015, 14:31

Ellie wrote:I dreamed I accidentally became a contestant on Top Chef. I couldn't cook at all. At one point I was stirring "risotto" that turned out to be a dirty pot from cooking rice that was waiting to be washed. I kept asking the judges to send me home, but in every challenge sometime else made a more egregious error and left instead. It was an incredibly stressful dream!
If it'll make you feel better, allow me
Please pack your knives and go.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Dec 2015, 16:03

But more importantly, did you make out with Padma?

Or Tom?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jan 2016, 10:32

This one's really elaborate.

I'm back in grad school. My labmates have a tradition that people have to alter their appearance on their birthday, to fool everyone. But I'm not part of the in-crowd, so I have no knowledge of this tradition. But by purest coincidence on my birthday I get the world's worst case of bed-head, so I look like there's a cat perched on my head. Then I decide to wear pants similar to those worn by the Incredible Hulk. So I am in "disguise" and hence in unwitting compliance with the birthday tradition.

On my way to campus, it turns out that I'm a murder suspect, for a crime that I did not commit but it was a really awesome crime, committed in some clever and zany manner that I no longer recall. Two bumbling cops decide that they're less interested in actually getting the evidence to nab me and more interested in hearing the awesome story of this crime, so they abduct me and try to extract a non-admissible confession. They assure me that the confession will be non-admissible so there's no risk to me if I just tell the story of how I pulled this off. To lend credibility to their claim that none of this is by-the-book, they have decided to dress as Spiderman and some superhero in a blue costume. I keep telling them that I have no story to tell, and they seem genuinely bummed by this. They were really hoping it was true.

Then some more serious cops show up, and the guys who abducted me realize that they're just as screwed as I am. So they run away. Then the real cops go away because, by some unknown means, they realize I'm innocent.

Then I'm eavesdropping on my labmates and realize that they're dealing drugs for extra money and they're discussing how to divvy up turf.

Then the alarm clock woke me up.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Jan 2016, 10:46

This must be strange dream day. I wandered accidentally into a huge dinner party being thrown by Angelina Jolie. Searching for a bathroom, I ended up lying in a bed chit-chatting with Jolie, both of us fully clothed and nothing but friendly chatter going on. I tell her I must go home and she tells me in that case I must come back for breakfast because the party will still be going on. I leave, can't remember anything in the interim, then return for breakfast (Eggs Benedict). Jolie comes to my table and gives me a gift about the size and shape of a pound of fudge, but wrapped with instructions not to open it until I'm home with my wife and only at a specific time, 10:30, the same instructions being written on the package. I never do get to eat breakfast or know what the party is for or about, but I say my goodbyes, walk out the door and then wake up.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jan 2016, 11:05

I have kinesthetic dreams: I have the physical sensations of whatever 'activity' I am dreaming about. I feel my legs moving if I run in my dream. (I don't sleepwalk) If I throw something in my dream, I feel the arm motion. If something startles me or bumps me, I jump. The last is usually enough to wake me up.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jan 2016, 11:06

D.A. Ridgely wrote:This must be strange dream day. I wandered accidentally into a huge dinner party being thrown by Angelina Jolie. Searching for a bathroom, I ended up lying in a bed chit-chatting with Jolie, both of us fully clothed and nothing but friendly chatter going on. I tell her I must go home and she tells me in that case I must come back for breakfast because the party will still be going on. I leave, can't remember anything in the interim, then return for breakfast (Eggs Benedict). Jolie comes to my table and gives me a gift about the size and shape of a pound of fudge, but wrapped with instructions not to open it until I'm home with my wife and only at a specific time, 10:30, the same instructions being written on the package. I never do get to eat breakfast or know what the party is for or about, but I say my goodbyes, walk out the door and then wake up.
Go back to sleep. We all want to know what is in the package.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Jan 2016, 11:10

I was in some sort of real-life game of Battleship, except it was being played over an auditorium with an orchestra, and I ended up just winging one of the calculations, and the artillery went into the seat area, though it only blew away a picture of Ashton Kutcher.

I realized there was something wrong when a subsequent shot blew back the table skirts in front of the orchestra, who proceeded to get up to leave.

The guilt emotion stayed with me for a minute or two after waking up.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Jan 2016, 02:18

I fell asleep watching MST3K and dreamed that Aresen started a thread about how much he hates Tom Hanks.