Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled l

Post by Warren » 13 Feb 2017, 10:34

I was trapped in some sort of goofy fun house with shifting walls like if Dr. Seuss and M.C. Escher designed a maze. A real nightmare. That usually means I'm sick, but I don't feel any more shitty than I do most days on average over the past year.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Feb 2017, 21:51

Ellie wrote:Last night I dreamed I was designing some sort of poster, and I asked the forums for feedback. It had a giant picture of a duck on it. Sandy said, "Well, I don't know about this context, but a duck inside of a square means something different to programmers."

I assume my subconscious was thinking of this. Thanks, dream Sandy!
Actually, it was probably a reference to Rubber Duck Debugging:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Feb 2017, 16:34

I dreamt that I was going to travel to a distant star system to negotiate immigration policy with an alien race. I spent the whole dream on earth training for the mission.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Feb 2017, 18:58

I had a rather mundane dream last night -- I microwaved some leftover pizza and ate it while watching TV (the only really surreal part was that the TV was showing a modern cartoon remake of Gone With The Wind starring anthropomorphic animals) -- but what made the dream odd was that my dream-self actually ate the pizza, and could taste it and everything. I can't recall ever eating in a dream before; I remember from reading Burnett's A Little Princess as a child, when Sara and Becky were eating the surprise feast in their attic, Sara said something like "No, this isn't a dream because we're actually eating this food, and you never really eat things in dreams; you only think you're about to eat them." And until last night, that was my dream-food experience as well.) Nor did I wake up hungry or anything (though I did have the thought "Yeah, some pizza would be tasty right now," but we didn't have any and I didn't want any enough to actually get some, and that mild dream-remnant pizza craving was gone by the time I came fully awake).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Feb 2017, 20:19

thoreau wrote:I dreamt that I was going to travel to a distant star system to negotiate immigration policy with an alien race. I spent the whole dream on earth training for the mission.
Who was doing the immigration? Us humans or the ETs?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Mar 2017, 14:57

I fell asleep on the couch after breakfast, and I dreamed that I was at the home of a couple I apparently knew, one of whom was trans and the other a lady. Why I was there I don't know, but they had two dogs and one of them liked me, and the puppy really liked me because he licked my mouth and curled up with me and we both fell asleep (my blanket feels a lot like a puppy when its warm, so yeah) on their sofa. Then in that dream I was sleeping on a sofa in an alpine snow fortress...
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Mar 2017, 15:19

My dreams lately make me wonder if I'm not, like, inhaling LSD fumes without realizing it. The other night I dreamt I was in a strange house listening to a mix CD I'd made, and was surprised to discover it contained an old Sheena Easton song which IRL I have never put on a mixtape ("Hard to Say It's Over," from whichever album had "Sugar Walls" on it). Then I heard the nasally whine of Family Guy's Lois Griffin chime in on the next verse, and I realized the CD was actually a DVD of various cartoons. Meanwhile, that house contained a cute little puppy I was responsible for, and when I went to fill its water dish a white cat with blue eyes jumped in the sink because it wanted me to bathe it. So I was busy simultaneously filling a dog's water dish and washing an overly affectionate waterlogged cat... and then things just got weirder.

IRL I don't even have any pets, and the last time I house-sat for a friend with a cat was in grad school.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Mar 2017, 01:45

I kept waking up with horrendous nightmares the other night. In one a man trying to kill me was holding a British Blue cat, and I had to hack open it's leg with a machete so that it would attack him.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2017, 13:23

mrs lunch goes through bouts like that, but the only time I can recall her reporting animal cruelty in the dream was the first night she took Chantix, and it was really really bad. She did not take a second dose.

She was once mad at me for a few days when I popped up in the back of her car and killed her in her dream.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2017, 19:21

every so often one or the other of us will wake up from a dream and be pissed at the person due to their in-dream shittiness.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Apr 2017, 08:48

nicole and I were helping to track down a bomber that was threatening to cause massive damage unless they were paid. We ended up at a combination Walgreens/archive where the bomber turned out to be a middle-aged high school English teacher who was frustrated at the illiteracy of kids today. We managed to talk her down with dialogue from either the Crucible or something southern like Steinbeck or Tennessee Williams. She would only accept exact quotes, so I had to do it open book. It turned out that the teacher had been a minor literary figure herself, and eventually transitioned to a later-life career as a screen idol who inspired the Pink Lady cocktail. One of the other people helping to track her down had been a WWI vet who became her primary cameraman. Oscar Wilde or possibly Tennessee Williams showed up later in the dream, drinking mint juleps and discussing some of her novels.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Apr 2017, 09:57

Sounds like my 11th grade English teacher.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Apr 2017, 10:42

Speed 3 : Advanced Placement
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Apr 2017, 20:04

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 May 2017, 07:40

People who appeared in my dream last night: Bill Walton, Jerry Garcia, Willem Dafoe (in some sort of reimagining of Dead Ringers), and Alan Keyes.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 08 May 2017, 12:54

I had a very vivid, and disturbing, dream several days ago. My friend and I were driving back (home, maybe?) from somewhere and were traveling through a super-industrialized, rust-belt version of a town we used to hang out in. We were chatting, he was at the wheel, when we got into an accident by missing a turn. Everything went black for a moment, then I woke from the impact and could feel broken teeth in my mouth and I started choking on blood. I could hear him moving around, so I think he was OK, but when I tried to tell him I needed help, blood just poured from my mouth. I blacked out again and woke a second time in a hospital bed. I was told it was a psychiatric hospital, which seemed really odd, and I was also told I couldn't contact my wife because she had moved away three weeks earlier.

From there it gets fuzzy or I just can't remember more.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Jun 2017, 08:18

Best friend and I were visiting a CIA facility in one of the former Soviet republics. One of the guys there told us how the KGB used to pressgang people into service as doubles for Gorbachev. I was like how do they get the guys to actually look like him though, so my friend decided to demonstrate on me using a black magic marker. I asked him to take a pic of me as Gorby and it as only then that I remembered to turn off my phone's network/wifi/bluetooth inside a CIA building.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Jul 2017, 14:14

I'm hanging out with various relatives, grylliaders, and friends. Some of these friends are real people that I know, others are people that seem to exist only in this dream. One of them is a rich guy who owns a home that's like a slightly smaller version of the Hearst Castle. We spend a lot of time at his home. At some point we visit the Pope and crash in his backyard. I think that some elementary school classmates were involved in that part, and at some point I was hiding in the gym teacher's office because reasons.

Then Donald Trump challenges one of my dream friends to a duel. She's a very large, stocky, tough woman. We spend the evening discussing weapon selection. My favorite uncle is there and somehow owns a large collection of firearms. (I'm pretty sure that he doesn't own many guns in real life.) The woman who will be dueling with Trump expresses a preference for an H&K. My uncle doesn't have one. A gryller (who will go unnamed in case a post about dueling with Donald Trump attracts the attention of NSA bots) agrees to provide.

I woke up before the duel could happen. But I'm pretty sure that after discussing guns we lost interest in the duel and spent time exploring the mansion that we were chilling in.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

thoreau

Re: Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Post by thoreau » 20 Jul 2017, 16:25

At some point I'm camping in a friend's backyard; he's letting me and a bunch of other friends crash for the night on our way somewhere. It turns out that somebody in my group of campers (I think a gryller) is a registered sex offender because they publicly urinated on federal land. So our host tries to kick everyone out and probably beat up the sex offender. But instead I pay for the guy to get a hotel room for the night.

Then I'm chasing around town trying to find an ingredient because a grad school friend is trying to make a special dessert. For some reason the name of the ingredient is "epcot" but it's basically a meringue. I need to get the ingredient so my friend can make the dessert in time for a church Christmas party. But I keep procrastinating by buying some kind of special popsicle that is popular in Mexico but has a jello-like consistency. I think I also get pulled over by the cops at some point.
--Jake

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Aug 2017, 09:05

Last night was the second dream in which I was assigned to write a piece of in-universe Game of Thrones fiction. My teacher was quite dismayed when I told her that I had never seen an episode or read a book. Also part of the dream involved partial GOT cosplaying.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Aug 2017, 09:19

Does 'partial' means you showed your bewbs?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Aug 2017, 10:47

More like half costume half street clothes. One dude was wearing armored shoulders and helmet over a powder blue polo shirt.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Aug 2017, 13:51

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 10:47
More like half costume half street clothes. One dude was wearing armored shoulders and helmet over a powder blue polo shirt.
Sure it wasn't teal?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Aug 2017, 22:03

My mom came to visit and revealed a hitherto unknown Barbie fandom. Like she showed up wearing a letterman's jacket with her Barbie club user name awkwardly sewn on in a combination of patches and Barbie pink embroidery. I had her wait for me in the combination Barbie museum/cafeteria which was weirdly dark. By the time I got down there the only left to eat was hamburger buns, and it was too late to go shop at the company store, but a guy sitting next to her who looked like Johnathon Banks in Breaking Bad said they didn't have anything good anyway.

I need to find a new job.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Aug 2017, 21:33

Apparently, after watching Stone Cold I was calling out the love interest's name in my sleep.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.