Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Post by Jennifer » 20 Apr 2019, 22:37

Ellie wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 20:35
lunchstealer wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 19:01
Jennifer wrote:Of all annoying categories of dreams, I think the worst might be "My dream-self has to deal with the consequences of some thoroughly stupid, if not downright evil, actions which my real-life self would never EVER do."
I was a little worried I was the only one who had those and that they meant I was secretly way more capable of murder or whatever than I thought.
I have those a lot, but I've never had a murder version.

Before we actually bought our house, I had frequent dreams that I'd bought an expensive house and now was on the hook for an outrageous mortgage payment. I'd be sitting there in the dream going, "Why did I do this stupid thing? It's like something I would do in a dream. But this is clearly real life!"
My dream self is even more financially irresponsible than your dream self; mine pulls stunts like "Sell everything I own and spend every penny I have to buy, like, a one-week vacation at some hyper-luxury resort," and then my dream starts on the sixth day of that week, trying to figure out WTF I'll do or where I'll go when I leave the resort tomorrow.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Apr 2019, 23:23

When you guys have these "consequences" dreams, do you ever dream yourself actually doing this stupid, evil or otherwise not-you action, or does it only start after-the-fact? I never dream I actually do these things; mine always start after the act is done.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Apr 2019, 23:24

Mine are always after the fact, too.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Apr 2019, 04:02

Jennifer wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 23:23
When you guys have these "consequences" dreams, do you ever dream yourself actually doing this stupid, evil or otherwise not-you action, or does it only start after-the-fact? I never dream I actually do these things; mine always start after the act is done.
I think they start when the initial act/accident is done, but then dream-lunch will do a bunch of crazy stuff in reaction. Like, "Oh no I just had a traffic accident and (something something) this will be financially ruinous. I have to flee the scene. Oh no this person saw me running away, and will tell the cops, so I have to kill them. Oh no that person saw me killing this person..." until I wake up in a goddamned panic that I've gone on a horrific killing spree over a bump to my insurance premiums. Then it takes me three hours to get back to sleep because I'm legit afraid that I might be able to have a psychotic break and just kill a bunch of people because they saw me littering or something.

I know that dreaming is in some ways the mind playing out different scenarios to build or reinforce new neural connections and so forth, but WTF BRAIN WHY ARE YOU RUNNING THOSE KINDS OF SIMULATIONS?!?!?!?! Like I'm pretty sure I'm not capable of any of that stuff, but damn if it isn't deeply disturbing.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the part I'm conscious of might be where I've already had the accident and then killed the witness, and now I'm all "Oh no there will have to be a chain of dead witnesses and I'll get the chair" and nope. So I'm not sure if I actually do anything horrible while I'm dreaming or if I just dream that I just did something horrible, but the couple of times I've had these (and it's just a couple that I remember) the really scary stuff is a response to some lesser thing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Apr 2019, 14:57

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 04:02
EDIT: Now that I think about it, the part I'm conscious of might be where I've already had the accident and then killed the witness, and now I'm all "Oh no there will have to be a chain of dead witnesses and I'll get the chair" and nope. So I'm not sure if I actually do anything horrible while I'm dreaming or if I just dream that I just did something horrible, but the couple of times I've had these (and it's just a couple that I remember) the really scary stuff is a response to some lesser thing.
That's another thing my dreams have in common (and now, I suspect, maybe ALL "consequences" dreams have in common): it's not only "I never dream myself actually DOING this stupid/evil/whatever" thing -- indeed, in many cases my dream-self has trouble remembering exactly what I did -- I also never stick with the dream long enough to actually face the consequences; the entire dream is just, like, dread of them. Like, in the "criminal" dreams I never actually encounter the cops or the angry mob; in the "All of my money is gone for some stupid reason" dreams I never actually have to LEAVE the resort and go be homeless and penniless; if I had Ellie's "mortgage" dream I wouldn't actually dream long enough to get that first outrageous mortgage payment and have to leave my home.... nothing actually happens in these dreams. It's just "I know I'm in deep, deep shit because I did something outrageously not-me, and I am dreading the very awful consequences that will soon ensue."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Apr 2019, 15:01

Jennifer wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 14:57
lunchstealer wrote:
That's another thing my dreams have in common (and now, I suspect, maybe ALL "consequences" dreams have in common): it's not only "I never dream myself actually DOING this stupid/evil/whatever" thing -- indeed, in many cases my dream-self has trouble remembering exactly what I did -- I also never stick with the dream long enough to actually face the consequences; the entire dream is just, like, dread of them. Like, in the "criminal" dreams I never actually encounter the cops or the angry mob; in the "All of my money is gone for some stupid reason" dreams I never actually have to LEAVE the resort and go be homeless and penniless; if I had Ellie's "mortgage" dream I wouldn't actually dream long enough to get that first outrageous mortgage payment and have to leave my home.... nothing actually happens in these dreams. It's just "I know I'm in deep, deep shit because I did something outrageously not-me, and I am dreading the very awful consequences that will soon ensue."
Yeah your description sounds right. I never remember actually doing the heinous stuff in my dream, it's more "oh shit I just did that now what" and then I wake up. Could also be sleep apnea which I only started treating about three years ago.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Apr 2019, 15:03

Yeah, same here. I never dream myself actually doing the stupid thing, and I never dream myself actually dealing with the consequences. Just the anxious middle part.

I also frequently dream I enrolled in a college course and then forgot to go. I never dream about signing up for the course (or skipping the classes); nor do I dream about seeing the F on my transcript. It's jut a dream full of wandering around kicking myself for being an idiot.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Apr 2019, 15:17

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 15:01
Jennifer wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 14:57
lunchstealer wrote:
Yeah your description sounds right. I never remember actually doing the heinous stuff in my dream, it's more "oh shit I just did that now what" and then I wake up. Could also be sleep apnea which I only started treating about three years ago.
FWIW, I've never had sleep apnea, but I still not-infrequently have these dreams.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Apr 2019, 15:48

Ellie wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 15:03
It's jut a dream full of wandering around kicking myself for being an idiot.
Yeah -- that's always a big part of it, too. "How could I be dumb enough to completely forget about the ten-page term paper due in an hour? How could I be stupid enough to forget today was the day I'm to start my new dream job? What kind of jackass cashes in her entire life's savings for a single week's luxury vacation? What kind of dumbshit agrees to a mortgage payment double her household income (or whatever the specifics of your stupid-dream were)? Why did I make and post that thoroughly revolting internet video with a bunch of guys I don't even find attractive doing things I don't even want to do? How the FUCK could I knowingly join a murderous terrorist group and nuke 50 cities full of people?"

Interesting how the same general themes and conditions seem to apply to everyone's dreams in this motif, though: you didn't actually do it; you don't actually deal with the consequences of it ... and whatever your dreamt you did was FAR more ridiculous, or stupid, or evil, than anything your real-life waking self is ever likely to do, even back in your younger-n-stupider days.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Apr 2019, 17:00

Speaking of common dreams, I recently watched an episode of Intervention where the addict, arriving at rehab, said he was feeling incredibly anxious and vulnerable -- "like that dream, you know, where you're standing in the front of the classroom naked and you have to keep your hands at your sides." He said it like it's a very common dream, but I've never had a dream where I was naked and feeling embarrassed in front of a bunch of people. Perhaps I am a weird outlier?

I have, however, had a lot of dreams where I'm naked and it's no big deal, and then my dad shows up and I'm like, 'Geez, this must be uncomfortable for him." I am sure a Freudian analyst would have a lot to say about those dreams.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Apr 2019, 18:20

I really can't tell if I dream the parts where I do something dumb, or if I just remember doing something dumb in the dream. Sometimes, it's more detailed than others, but it always ends up with me in my underwear in public or having run over a loved one with my car.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 May 2019, 15:09

I always fall asleep while watching TV, and virtually never dream about what I've been watching. But the last two nights I dozed off to a BBC documentary (and then another auto-played after it while I slept) and EVERYONE in my dreams was talking in British accents all night.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 May 2019, 20:47

At least it's received pronuciation. Imagine if you were watching Eastenders.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 May 2019, 12:44

I was watching a music performance at a Home Depot, where the group was split into four aisles performing four different segments that combined into the whole song. One segment was X-Files themed and one was Incredibles themed. After the show everyone lined up for what I naturally assumed would be a zipline ride, but the line wound past a table where one of the performers was signing copies of her new book. Someone told her that I really enjoyed the performance, so she signed a copy for me even though I really didn't want to pay for the book, much less read it. Anyway the line turned out to be for some kind of water flume thing out in the parking lot, which didn't look that fun. I woke up before I got my turn.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 May 2019, 11:57

I was touring a disused Australian academy which was shaped like the Aquaman symbol. The rooms were all small (probably for about 8-10 srudents max) and multifunctional. There were a lot of teaching aides scattered around, and for some reason a lot of old tobacco pipes. There were pictures of students on the walls and I examined some of them trying to figure out which of the kids had been Margot Robbie. The last room had been converted into a terrarium for sea turtle. I asked her if she was content there or if she would rather be out in the ocean, and she sang me a song about loneliness. She seemed really excited about being fed these Australian candies that kinda tasted like Laffy Taffy but less sticky.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 26 May 2019, 22:27

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:57
I asked her if she was content there or if she would rather be out in the ocean, and she sang me a song about loneliness.
It's better than drinking alone.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jun 2019, 15:37

I was on some kind of Tinder date or something with a fairly attractive woman who was not shy about showing her tattoos. Her housemates were around and they were pretty nice. They had servants and servants quarters, but I never actually saw they servants that I can recall.

Naturally these perfectly pleasant young women were German nationalists who brought me along as they took a supermarket hostage. This was about the time I realized we were in suburban England. They shot a couple of people, including me, with a .22. It didn't actually hurt because apparently my subconscious only has the special effects budget for those motorized kids toy guns that make a machine noise but nothing like a bullet report. But when you pointed them at someone and pulled the trigger the person fell down as if shot, so I guess they worked. They shot several people, mostly in the legs, while they negotiated and threatened the people in the store.

Eventually I got ahold of one of the guns and started taking out the ladies and some accomplices they had brought along Die Hard style. I hesitated with one of the women because she seemed nice, and I said it doesn't have to end like this, but she said there was no other way to end it, so I shot her too. There was some forensic busyness at the end while the cops came in and cleared out the wounded hostages and the house. Maybe there was some money hidden? I don't recall.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 21 Jul 2019, 09:36

Some sort of butterfly-effect movie type dream. Can't recall details leading up to it but after the altering event a long slow motion montage of changes, and one of the unintended effects was a political change of power, showing things like political figures with a cigar disappearing from one person and appearing on another, figures fading out and others fading in in governmental-looking places. The weirdest bit though was a slow motion of Kamala Harris bashing Queen Elizabeth's head with a very large rock, two handed overhead. No friggin' idea where that came from. I know she was a prosecutor but even that seems a little extreme for any time line.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Aug 2019, 10:48

I haven't had one of my recurring "Oh no I bought a house we can't afford" dreams since we actually bought our house five years ago -- until last night. In this case I'd bought a new house and we'd gone to stay at a motel for a week while we were moving, except the week was up and we weren't done getting all our crap out of the old house, and I was just FREAKING OUT about buying a new house we didn't need and wasting all the motel money when we couldn't afford it. When I woke up it took a little while for me to be sure that it was just a dream.

Not surprising that in our current precarious financial position I'd have an anxious dream like this, but still. Bleh.

JD

Post by JD » 05 Aug 2019, 10:30

I dreamed that I was in my childhood home, although it seemed huge in the dream. My mom was cooking or washing dishes in the kitchen. I had a little lizard, but I had it in a box on the floor in the living room, not really a proper enclosure. I thought, "Oh, I should bring it some water" and I got some in a bowl from the kitchen, but when I returned and opened the box to give the lizard the water, it escaped and ran under the piano. Wondering how I was going to get it out from under there, I went back into the kitchen - I don't remember why - but my mom was unsympathetic and unhelpful. When I came back into the living room, my cat had somehow gotten hold of the lizard and had dismembered it. I went to throw away the pieces of the dead lizard, feeling angry and disgusted with myself for not being more responsible.
Beep boop, you silly humans.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Aug 2019, 11:27

Aww, that sounds unpleasant. :(

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Aug 2019, 11:28

Last night I dreamed that the Fab Five from the new Queer Eye were trying to give Baby Demand a makeover, but he ran outside and hid against the house under the siding. His mischievous face in the dream as he outsmarted us all is still cracking me up :lol:

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Aug 2019, 14:48

I really hate the new Queer Eye crew. Back in the aughts the first and foremost thing the Fab Five needed to get across to the straight guy was FFS get a grooming regiment. Run a comb through your hair, brush your teeth, and seriously use the Mitchum, because damn. The new guys all look like whores. They showed up on the Today Show last week and one guy was sporting a biker beard and I swear he was wearing a nightshirt. Fucking gross.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Aug 2019, 10:44

I dream vividly - to the point where, if someone steps on my toe in a dream, I feel the pain and physically jerk my foot 'away.'

I seldom taste things in my dreams, but in a nightmare last night, I tasted blood. I woke up ready to hurl and was so bothered by the imaginary taste that I took two antacid tablets to settle my stomach.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Aug 2019, 14:49

Aww, I'm sorry that happened! :(

I've had some more dreams about staying in a hotel for too long and costing a bunch of money we couldn't afford. So that's fun. Although I prefer those nightmares to last night's horror fest about being chased and then imprisoned by superheroes who were going around punching people to death. I haven't watched The Boys but apparently the "evil superheroes" idea wormed into my subconscious.