Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Dreams (not those crushed by the weight of unfulfilled life)

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jul 2018, 22:13

For awhile I've had this thing where my dreams have been coming in two parts: part one is a typical surreal, impossible dream, but in part two I wake up (or dream I do, anyway), get out of bed and do almost ordinary everyday things, except there's always one or two weird details wrong -- like the time I dreamt there was a dog-door in my apartment's front door, and the neighbors' kids kept crawling through it and interrupting me when I was trying to do various tasks.

But the other night, part two started with me waking up on the living room couch back in northern Virginia -- and I knew I was still dreaming, because I remembered Jeff and I'd actually been living in Georgia for two years. But it wasn't a lucid dream or anything -- it never occurred to me to try doing something cool and impossible like flying. Instead, I went upstairs to use the bathroom, and when I was halfway done I worried "Maybe I shouldn't have done this. What if, when you go to the bathroom in your dreams, you go in real life too, and I wet the bed?" (Spoiler: I did not.) Then I went into my office, planning to get some smokables out of my desk, but when I tried turning on the light it didn't work. Jeff told me it wasn't supposed to work, because I was flipping a switch but it really has a motion sensor. Then he said he had to do a Skype job interview, and I told him not to bother because I was dreaming all of this anyway -- we moved out of here when you got a job two years ago. He asked if it was the California job he was about to interview for, and I said no, we're living in Georgia these days. Then we went downstairs and none of the lights there worked either. I told Jeff "This dream is getting very annoying," and then I woke up for real.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Aug 2018, 22:34

I've had the weirdest day. I planned a "sick" day to get a bunch of stuff done and then actually didn't feel well enough to get out of bed all day. (This is the sort of thing that could make a person believe in signs from the universe.)

Anyway, I pretty much slept from 9am-3pm and then 5-7pm and had one vivid dream after another. They were either horrible nightmares full of kidnapping and cruelty, or dreams where I was playing the same game of Tetris over and over but it was somehow super hot and sexy and turning me on. I am so discombobulated by now. AND I'm still exhausted and ready for bed.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Aug 2018, 11:17

HORRIBLE nightmare where the kids and I got kidnapped by Neo Nazis and I was trying to protect the kids so every time one of them advanced towards us I would bite one of his fingers off.

I don't believe in dream interpretation but I would still love an analysis of why I have so many dreams where I'm trying to bite people's fingers off. :?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Dec 2018, 20:38

I nap-dreamed that I was having a phone conversation with Nick Offerman about the feminism of Hugh Hefner.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Dec 2018, 23:51

What was his position on the the topic?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Dec 2018, 01:24

He seemed to be pretty pro-Hef from a man's-man POV. I was just explaining that by mainstreaming erotica, Hef helped to kickstart the sexual revolution. I woke up before I got to the part about carving out alternatives to the restrictive male gender roles of the 50s.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Dec 2018, 19:06

Maybe I need to give the Americans a rest. I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've pulled Stan Beeman's head off with a wound up towel. But at least this time I got to celebrate afterwards by driving a truck in the demolition derby.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 23 Jan 2019, 13:59

Had a good, then melancholy one last night.

It was the holidays, and I was 'coming home' for Christmas to my family, although where I'd been was unclear. It was also odd that the 'home' wasn't a house I recognized, but I still felt comfortable there. My mother was also there, and it was so comforting to see her again. It really was Hallmark Family Movie vibe going on, and I was digging it. I went downtairs, and there was a nice pile of gifts for me to open. My siblings had already opened theirs, so they were back upstairs having a good time. But some other stuff caught my eye, so I went over to look, and it was a bunch of stuff I had made in elementary school, report cards, toys, photos, all kinds of memento stuff from my childhood and family trips. And I turned around and my mom had come down the stairs too, and was just smiling at me.

And now I miss her, terribly.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2019, 14:17

I've had a couple of weeks of pretty nasty nightmares. Got a good solid something something flying around with my flaming sword one last night. Think I might have won over the girl? Unclear. Was at the end.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jan 2019, 14:47

Now I miss my mom, too.

I had one of my more disturbing-but-not-nightmare dreams where I accidentally convinced a bank teller that I was trying to rob the place and so I had to rob the place because something something, and then for reasons that were equally unclear it was necessary to then rob another bank because if I didn't some other bad consequence something something. I hate dreams where I do something that I would be horrified to do in meatspace. One I got in a fender bender and 'had to' kill a witness, then kill a witness to that killing, then kill someone else to throw the cops off my scent. I woke up wondering if I was secretly a serial killer and just didn't know it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Feb 2019, 10:37

My parents and I were at our old place up in the mountains and nature was getting pretty aggro. We were visited by mice, birds who preened my head for tasty parasites, some large rodents like muskrats or something, a whole bunch of dinner plate-size green crabs out on the patio table, and what I thought at first was a large porcupine but was actually a warthog with porcupine quills who forced his way through the screen door.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Feb 2019, 19:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 10:37
My parents and I were at our old place up in the mountains and nature was getting pretty aggro. We were visited by mice, birds who preened my head for tasty parasites, some large rodents like muskrats or something, a whole bunch of dinner plate-size green crabs out on the patio table, and what I thought at first was a large porcupine but was actually a warthog with porcupine quills who forced his way through the screen door.
I think I found my new tagline for my dating profile.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 07 Feb 2019, 06:31

A couple of weeks ago, I dreamt that someone I know in Nevada called to say he was coming down to visit soon. Not a good dream. Way too mundane. So two days ago, I got to wondering when he was coming, so I called him to ask. That was a bizarre conversation.