Joys in the time of Quarantine

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Joys in the time of Quarantine

Post by JasonL »

What are you doing during lockup?

I'm on team "use this time to learn some shit". In that vein, MasterClass has been the best $15/month I've spent in a long while. That's unlimited access to all classes for the year. I'm doing Thomas Keller (French Laundry guy) teaches cooking 1-3 and James Suckling (wine critic) teaches wine appreciation and focused tasting. There's tons of stuff. Cooking (Keller, Aaron Franklin of Franklin BBQ, Alice Waters of Farm to Table movement, Gordon Ramsey), Makeup (Bobbi Brown), Baking (Dominique Ansel inventor of the cronut), ball handling (Steph Curry), writing (Neil Gaiman, David Mamet, Margaret Atwood), Chess (Kasparov), Guitar (Tom Morello and Carlos Santana), comedy (Steve Martin) ... it's pretty crazy. I'm not sure you have mastery attainment coming out of these but I've learned a ton from Keller just using base knowledge and watching how he does things. I'll never puree vegetables the same way again I can tell you that much.

https://www.masterclass.com/

ETA: Warning to Hugh - the UI isn't great

JD

Re: Joys in the time of Quarantine

Post by JD »

We'd been thinking about classes as well, cooking mostly. We were actually supposed to take a pasta-making class in person last weekend, but obviously that didn't happen, so we were thinking about doing it online instead. Can't remember the company we have an account with at the moment, but I'll post it later.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 08:51
I'm doing Thomas Keller (French Laundry guy) teaches cooking 1-3 and James Suckling (wine critic) teaches wine appreciation and focused tasting.
You're already knowledgeable about that stuff. You should take calculus.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Warren wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:13
JasonL wrote:
I'm doing Thomas Keller (French Laundry guy) teaches cooking 1-3 and James Suckling (wine critic) teaches wine appreciation and focused tasting.
I’ll use this. I’ve already learned and forgotten enough calculus

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:22
Warren wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:13
JasonL wrote:
I’ll use this. I’ve already learned and forgotten enough calculus
AH HA! If it's utility you crave. You should be learning Home Repair.
AND NOTHING ELSE.

Seriously, I'm not joking in the least. Well, a little bit. But seriously, learn how to use a fucking screwdriver, it will change your life for the better way way more than honing your blind tasting skills.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

I'm on team "I have absolutely no more free time now than I did before in fact I'm working a bunch more"
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:25
Seriously, I'm not joking in the least. Well, a little bit. But seriously, learn how to use a fucking screwdriver
I don't think I have one of those. I have a bunch of flathead and Phillips-head screwdrivers, and even a Yankee screwdriver with interchangeable bits, but that's all.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

nicole wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:45
I'm on team "I have absolutely no more free time now than I did before in fact I'm working a bunch more"
+1
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:55
Warren wrote:
Seriously, I'm not joking in the least. Well, a little bit. But seriously, learn how to use a fucking screwdriver
I don't think I have one of those. I have a bunch of flathead and Phillips-head screwdrivers, and even a Yankee screwdriver with interchangeable bits, but that's all.
You can fuck yourself with all of those :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

To be fair I’m on leave for the leg anyway. Going back to work beginning next week. Not rushing back.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

nicole wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:45
Same. I don't know if I should feel bad about it but my lifestyle hasn't really changed much other than working from home.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Cleaning my room. Getting the garden cleaned up, feels like a moment when growing our own food is going to be more important than just a hobby. Going down youtube rabbit holes guilt free. I mean I would not normally spend an afternoon watching Buckethead videos, yet here we are.

After another day or two we'll open up the quarantine on the garage where my cousins were staying, which will open up new possibilities as that's where our tools and storage are.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway »

I'm working about the same amount of time, and had a cold last week, and unfortunately the weather hasn't warmed up like I'd want it to yet, so all I'm doing is looking at the lawn like "ehhh, it's about time to get that cut for the first time this spring."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Oh and we're watching Julia Childs' The French Chef. It's a lot of basic stuff most people already know yet every epsidode has some new little thing we learn.

(BTW, regarding the great french onion soup cheese controversy, she put swiss and parmagian on her french onion soup.)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 13:22
(BTW, regarding the great french onion soup cheese controversy, she put swiss and parmagian on her french onion soup.)
Excellent.

I stand by my assertion.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I'm in the food industry, so am considered essential. I even have a company pass that says so in case i'm stopped by cops on my way to/from work. :lol:

My free time is the same: some cooking, some reading, some tv, some vidya gaming.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 09:55
Warren wrote:
I had a screwdriver but now I'm not wasting precious fridge space on a month's worth of OJ, so I've switched to G&Ts.

BTW I have an order coming from naked wines because they throw vouchers all over hell and creation so I can have wine show up at my door for ~$10/bottle, which is nice in a quarantine so I don't have to deal with the stoner that works the drive through at my normal liquor store. But dunno if they're actually $10 bottles, $20 bottles, or like $6 bottles. Any of you snooty learned-in-the-way-of-wines folks got experience with them?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Looks like I have a free all access pass to MasterClass I can gift. I’d like it to go to a home that will use it. Anyone interested?

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

JasonL wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 16:54
Looks like I have a free all access pass to MasterClass I can gift. I’d like it to go to a home that will use it. Anyone interested?
Very much so.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Twba

Post by Twba »

Warren wrote:
But seriously, learn how to use a fucking screwdriver...
Righty tighty lefty loosy. Got it, boss. Now what size toe nails do you want me to get from the truck, ten penny or twelve penny?

Warren

Post by Warren »

Twba wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:18
Warren wrote:
Righty tighty lefty loosy. Got it, boss. Now what size toe nails do you want me to get from the truck, ten penny or twelve penny?
That's going to depend on which hammer toe you bring back.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I can't focus my mind to try "important writing" or anything like that, nothing more than pandemic diary-type blog or Facebook posts, so I've been catching up on various minor around-the-home projects: reorganizing the contents of the cabinets, things like that. Some of it is necessary anyway, in order to neatly store things like "larger than usual purchases of canned or dried food." And making MAJOR progress on cleaning and drying out the backlog of Jeff's empty one-liter club soda bottles, which I've been saving in order to store emergency drinking water in the event of a storm. (I figure this is extra-important now because, if supply chains are still hinky when hurricane season comes, buying sufficient supplies of bottled drinking water beforehand will be nigh-on impossible.)

By an odd coincidence, just before coronavirus officially changed my daily life, I was on a history kick, reading about daily life in various past historical eras. So, for all that I REALLY miss "going out," even if just to a meetup or a quick visit to the nearest thrift store (likely as not with various small-talk conversations along the way), I do take a weird comfort in viewing my current situation through the eyes of someone who's had far greater levels of material deprivation. Like, in World War Two Britain the weekly ration for a typical adult was only four ounces of cooking fat and two ounces of butter; I've currently got two pounds of butter in the freezer, another almost-pound in the fridge, a couple ounces of solid bacon fat I use for frying eggs, and somewhere between 60 to 80 ounces of various cooking oils on the kitchen-counter lazy Susan. (That's not even pandemic prep; that's the standard amount of certain "ingredient"-type cooking supplies I tend to keep on hand.)

So, yeah: in this time of history-making pandemic crisis, I've mainly been tidying my home whilst having deep intellectual thoughts like "Whoa, we've got nearly 40 ounces of canola oil alone, plus olive oil, grapeseed oil, and a couple odd oils from the Asian market...."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Here's a possible suggestion: remember I've mentioned before that I stopped using shampoo years ago, washing instead with a very light conditioner plus the usual hot water and my own fingertips and a comb? But I also mentioned that when I first kicked the shampoo habit, it took two or three weeks for my scalp-oil levels to even out, and in the meantime my hair looked really, really bad.

If anyone wants to try kicking the shampoo habit, but dares not because for professional reasons you cannot spend two or three weeks with hair that looks icky ... now's the time to try it!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Twba

Post by Twba »

Warren wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 23:01
Twba wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:18
Warren wrote:
That's going to depend on which hammer toe you bring back.
Crap, I can't find the board stretcher. Did you leave it back at the shop?