Casting The Stand: Prestige TV Edition

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: Casting The Stand: Prestige TV Edition

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:34 I don't know about his endings because I won't read his books, in spite of the fact I think he writes about the best dialog of any author ever.
I don't understand horror as a genre of fiction. Why do people want to feel anxious/disgusted? I will never get that. Watching/reading horror is always so unpleasant to me.
I largely agree and horror is one of the genres of popular fiction I've generally never been interested in. Same with films with a few exceptions. I will say on King's behalf, however, that a good bit of his work, especially the shorter fiction, isn't in the horror genre at all even though much of it may still have elements of the supernatural and/or rely on a sort of American Gothic atmospheric setting.
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Warren wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:34 I don't know about his endings because I won't read his books, in spite of the fact I think he writes about the best dialog of any author ever.
I don't understand horror as a genre of fiction. Why do people want to feel anxious/disgusted? I will never get that. Watching/reading horror is always so unpleasant to me.
Much of his later stuff is not horror, or even horror-adjacent. 11/22/63, for example, has no horror element at all. Two of the novellas in Different Seasons involve no horror. The Green Mile is mostly horror-free. My favorite short story by him, Mrs Todd's Shortcut, is fantastical, but has few if any horror elements.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The Shawshank Redemption isn't horror, unless you consider America's prison system to be a horror.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Folks really didn't like Trashy bringing The Walking Man the ultimate fire? I thought it was perfect. And I don't get the deus ex machina complaint, as Flagg had expressly sent Trash into the desert to look for weapons.

I have only recently learned there is an unexpurgated version out now, which is where I gather the 'Flagg on an island' thing comes from. I only ever read the version where Vegas is the end of Flagg and Stu, preg-again Fran, & baby are back in Maine.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Number 6 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 07:04
Jennifer wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 04:42
Number 6 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 12:00
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:54
Ellie wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 09:06 Stephen King does NOT know how to end a book.
Agreed, which is why I've never much cared for him. He's one of those authors who just starts writing and sees where it takes him, which is fine if it takes him to a payoff, but more often than not it just takes him to a long enough work of narrative prose to snip off somehow and publish. I've never outgrown the phase where, first, I need to enjoy the first fifty pages or so of the book to keep reading and, second, I need a satisfying payoff at the end. People who like horror or heavily atmospheric fiction get plenty of the former with King but not nearly enough of the latter.
I forgive him his endings, because the rest is usually so well done.
He's gotten a lot worse lately, IMO. I agree with Ellie and DAR about his inability to invent a decent ending, but regarding his earlier stuff, I agreed with you that the rest of the story makes up for it. His later stuff can't even say that much. The last book of his I read was 11/27-63 -- the time traveler goes back to prevent JFK's assassination -- complete waste of time. The ending was only slightly better than "Then I woke up and realized everything was a dream."
No point in arguing matters of taste, but I thought 11/22/63 was one of the best things he's ever done.

It had the potential to be, I thought, but he completely squandered it. I'd read, somewhere, that it was "Guy goes back and prevents the Kennedy assassination, but as a result America gets far worse and there's martial law and sundry problems," so I was expecting a sort of "naturalistic" reason for that -- like, "Without the Kennedy assassination, LBJ was never able to take office and push through the civil rights act, meaning the more militant pre-Mecca Malcolm X-types become far more prominent than the peaceful MLK-type protesters, causing the white racist power structure to go overboard with the oppression...." Instead, IIRC, the story was roughly "900 pages of the guy living in the past waiting for the chance to stop Oswald, which he does, which in turn damages spacetime so much that the entire universe is literally falling apart so he goes back in time to undo what he did so it was like nothing ever happened, The End." Pfft.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

You actually described most of what I liked about that book.
Such are the vagaries of taste.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FWIW, I actually liked the everyday details of his life in the past -- I recall being particularly amused (that's too strong of a word) by the mention that Marina wore a "rayon" dress, because this was shortly after I'd learned rayon is THE ideal fabric to wear in extremely hot and humid climates -- but the ending. The ending.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Jasper wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 13:41 Folks really didn't like Trashy bringing The Walking Man the ultimate fire? I thought it was perfect. And I don't get the deus ex machina complaint, as Flagg had expressly sent Trash into the desert to look for weapons.
Yeah, I thought it was perfect. He wants weapons, so a weapon is brought to him by the crazy man that he rejected after previously sending the crazy man to get weapons. And the weapon is set off by the magic he used to strike down a guy who defied him.

How else should the Devil's emissary be struck down?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 15:57
Jasper wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 13:41 Folks really didn't like Trashy bringing The Walking Man the ultimate fire? I thought it was perfect. And I don't get the deus ex machina complaint, as Flagg had expressly sent Trash into the desert to look for weapons.
Yeah, I thought it was perfect. He wants weapons, so a weapon is brought to him by the crazy man that he rejected after previously sending the crazy man to get weapons. And the weapon is set off by the magic he used to strike down a guy who defied him.

Losing the Electoral College vote?
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 15:59
thoreau wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 15:57

Losing the Electoral College vote?
Yeah, but the Devil's other emissary inevitably wins the Electoral College vote, so it's kind of a wash.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren speaks my mind. I mean, I get thrillers, and I get SF or other stuff that's got horror elements which forward the plot or are integral to the themes, but horror for horror's sake just kind of escapes me.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Coincidentally, I recently finished 'Salem's Lot, which had been on my to-read list for a long time. This article does a good job of describing the appeal: it's the first half of the book where almost nothing supernatural happens. It's small-town life in a town that's dying without the intervention of vampires. Also, there are some incredibly good bits of writing.

I thought the revised version of The Stand was good enough, although books 1-3 of the Dark Tower series are better. It's a shame he lost the magic of the series after that. This reminds me that my first interaction with the piece of fandom that really loves backstories was about Book 4 of that series. Like JasonL, I don't get it. The message board I was reading at the time I read it was in love with Book 4 because it was Roland's back story, and I found it dull.
I haven't read many horror novels, but horror/weird short stories are a favorite of mine. Aickman, Ligotti, Barron, and the types of stories in The Weird or New Cthulhu have all given me immense amounts of reading joy. The best of them never make the horror/weirdness overt; it's all about how unsettling things can be without being explicit.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 08:36 The best of them never make the horror/weirdness overt; it's all about how unsettling things can be without being explicit.
I don't enjoy feeling "unsettled", It's weird to me that anybody does. It's all good though. I mean, I've got my own likes that repulse most.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I was going to say I'm a fan of horror, but I think I'm more of a fan of the weird and strange that maybe more often than not results in horror or despair.

As to why, I guess I've always liked stories about people reacting to outside context problems.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

One thing I just remembered loving about the original miniseries was Ray Walston, who was a goddamn delight in everything he did.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Here's the trailer.

ETA: That's ... actually not very good, IMO. Seems a trailer intended for people already well familiar with the story; if I knew nothing about it, I don't think this trailer would make me want to watch it.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Hugh Akston wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 14:51 I think James Marsden works fine as Stu Redman. Since he's the Stephen King stand-in, Frannie will have to be played by someone no less than 20 years younger.
Odessa Young is 25 years younger than James Marsden, fwiw