The Market!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: The Market!

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2010, 00:25

I should get one of those photo hosting accounts, so when the sofa arrives I can take a picture and post it here. The red velvet is great, but the black-and-gold embroidery in a geometric Middle Eastern pattern is what really makes it. I didn't even notice the rhinestone accents until Jeff pointed them out to me.

Now that I work at home all day, I get to spend my days in classy surroundings.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 May 2010, 00:45

Jennifer,

Can I ask why you bought this particular sofa?

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 May 2010, 10:53

Jennifer wrote:Now that I work at home all day, I get to spend my days in classy surroundings.
Perhaps we should start calling you Madam.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2010, 11:15

Fin Fang Foom wrote:Jennifer,

Can I ask why you bought this particular sofa?
We'd been needing a new one for awhile, and have been perusing furniture stores for weeks; other than certain size restrictions, the only actual rules we had were that we wanted a cloth sofa rather than leather or a leather knock-off, and we wanted a sofa firm enough that you could sit up straight on it, rather than one of those overly plushy sofas. Since we intended to pay under $1000 and did most of our searching in less-upscale stores, we both figured we'd eventually buy an ordinary serviceable piece of furniture (as opposed to something both serviceable and "decorative.").

But that sofa is very cool in a gaudy way -- I have always liked the ornate Middle-Easterny look for home decor -- but when I first saw it I noticed the price tag said $1200, which is more than I am willing to pay for a sofa (or in this case, more than I am willing to let Jeff pay for a sofa for me). However, it had been marked down to half price because down near the bottom of the leather frame, there is a small cut in the leather. It'll be easy to patch, and given where the sofa will be in our living room, you wouldn't be able to see it even if we didn't patch it.

So -- the price was actually a couple hundred dollars less than we had budgeted for a sofa, it met all of our comfort restrictions (a leather frame and armrest is fine, so long as the cushions are not leather), it's the sort of style I love, and it even matches our other decor -- in our living room we have many things like brass reproductions of old-time nautical instruments, brass-topped tables, or antique maps printed on gold foil, so the gold embroidery on the sofa will bring all these elements together and reinforce our chief decorating theme, known as "It is so obvious these people do not have kids and never plan to have any."

I have no idea why the designers added those rhinestones, though.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 17 May 2010, 13:23

I have a question: Why did you decide to avoid leather cushions? Personal aesthetic preference, comfort, or a maintenance issue, or....?

The reason I ask is that I will be in the market for a sofa soon. It will only be the second sofa I've bought. My first one was cloth-covered. I used to fall asleep on it a lot. Eventually I wore holes in the fabric from night-time position-shifting, I think. Also the cloth armrest where I tended to rest my head when I slept got kinda, um, grungy. I was thinking of switching to a leather sofa next.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2010, 13:36

Stevo Darkly wrote:I have a question: Why did you decide to avoid leather cushions? Personal aesthetic preference, comfort, or a maintenance issue, or....?
Comfort -- if it's a hot and/or humid day, you do NOT want bare skin making contact with leather, vinyl, plastic or anything of that nature. Even if it is cool and dry, I just don't like the feel of, say, wearing a short-sleeved shirt and feeling my bare arms against leather cushions.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 May 2010, 13:48

Jennifer wrote:
Stevo Darkly wrote:I have a question: Why did you decide to avoid leather cushions? Personal aesthetic preference, comfort, or a maintenance issue, or....?
Comfort -- if it's a hot and/or humid day, you do NOT want bare skin making contact with leather, vinyl, plastic or anything of that nature. Even if it is cool and dry, I just don't like the feel of, say, wearing a short-sleeved shirt and feeling my bare arms against leather cushions.
You don't like the feel of leather? *shrugs*
Since when is it hot and humid inside? If you don't have air conditioning, I'd work on that before upgrading the furniture, but YMMV.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2010, 14:14

Warren wrote:Since when is it hot and humid inside? If you don't have air conditioning, I'd work on that before upgrading the furniture, but YMMV.
We have window-unit air conditioners which we store in the basement during the cooler months. (When I lived down south, I'd refuse to live anywhere that didn't have central air, but in New England it is not such a necessity.) As a personal preference, though, I don't turn on the AC unless the indoor temperature is really hot -- say, 90 or more. Otherwise, if I'm just working at home all day and don't have to worry about professional appearances, I'll take off my shirt, pile all my hair atop my head to keep it off my back and arms, and work that way.

In general, we only use AC two or three weeks a year, when we get an unusual heatwave wherein it not only gets hot during the day, but doesn't cool down at night. Usually, even in the summer months, no matter how hot it gets during the day, the night cools enough that if you open the windows and use a box fan to draw in outside air, you literally need a blanket to sleep under. And provided I have enough covering, I vastly prefer sleeping in cool rooms to warm.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 May 2010, 15:09

The sofa is here! And I found a photo of it on the furniture company's website:

Of course, we only have the one sofa, not all the rugs and small chairs and whatnot. The rhinestone trim isn't really visible in this photo -- I still have no idea why the designer added it in the first place.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 May 2010, 01:14

Another excellent item The Market gives us is canned chicken noodle soup for when you have a cold.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 20 May 2010, 11:46

Jennifer wrote:Another excellent item The Market gives us is canned chicken noodle soup for when you have a cold.
I don't give a shit if the CSPI thinks they have too much salt, sugar or whatever, Campbell's Chicken Noodle, Tomato, Cream of Chicken, Celery and Mushroom are all excellent products that should never be fucked with.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 20 May 2010, 14:34

Jennifer wrote:I should get one of those photo hosting accounts, so when the sofa arrives I can take a picture and post it here. The red velvet is great, but the black-and-gold embroidery in a geometric Middle Eastern pattern is what really makes it. I didn't even notice the rhinestone accents until Jeff pointed them out to me.

Now that I work at home all day, I get to spend my days in classy surroundings.
Asa an aside, it appears the phpBB allows for direct uploads of pictures to posts. I don't know how that affects the server space, but such capacity exists...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 May 2010, 15:00

J sub D wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Another excellent item The Market gives us is canned chicken noodle soup for when you have a cold.
I don't give a shit if the CSPI thinks they have too much salt, sugar or whatever, Campbell's Chicken Noodle, Tomato, Cream of Chicken, Celery and Mushroom are all excellent products that should never be fucked with.
Last time I had a cold, I went through the chicken noodle soup I had on hand so Jeff bought me some more ... except he accidentally picked up the "Low sodium" version. Turns out low sodium = no flavor, not even when you try adding salt yourself. Bleah.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 May 2010, 15:32

Jennifer wrote:
J sub D wrote:
Last time I had a cold, I went through the chicken noodle soup I had on hand so Jeff bought me some more ... except he accidentally picked up the "Low sodium" version. Turns out low sodium = no flavor, not even when you try adding salt yourself. Bleah.
Made the same mistake. Low Sodium canned soup is not The Market. At all. Inedible swill.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 21 May 2010, 11:03

On Google's home page today is a working Pac-Man game.
Me likes.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 21 May 2010, 11:37

That is pretty damn cool. Until you said something, I didn't realize you can actually play the game.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 May 2010, 13:34

If you hit the "Insert coin" button twice, you adds Ms. Pac-Man so you can play two-person cooperative. (Or, if you have independently-focusable eyes, you can drive them both on your own, but I'm not good enough for much success with that.) Player One uses the arrow keys, while Player Two uses ASWD, looks like. Fun!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 May 2010, 21:15

This post title is The Market:
Crapitalism: stuff that's not the market
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Jun 2010, 08:51

Lightweight, fine wool trousers are the market in summer.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Jun 2010, 09:52

dbcooper wrote:Lightweight, fine wool trousers are the market in summer.
I love mine, too. I have a bit of durability issues with the light fine wool though.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Jun 2010, 09:58

JasonL wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Lightweight, fine wool trousers are the market in summer.
I love mine, too. I have a bit of durability issues with the light fine wool though.
Shiny butt is a hazard. I tend to try and get good quality "dry" wool ones with a bit of elastin on sale. Seem to last several years.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Jun 2010, 20:45

This isn't really "the market" so much as "your tax dollars at work, but at least I got something cool out of it": yesterday Jeff, who is the secretary and youngest member by far of the local astronomy society, went to "Starcon," their annual convention. Turns out NASA had a booth there, and to promote their new Solar Dynamics Observatory they were passing out free cardboard sunglasses fitted with a special black lens you can safely view the sun through.

The lens is amazing. Except for when you're looking directly at the sun you'd swear it was ordinary opaque black plastic -- I held it right in front of a bare 60-watt bulb and no light at all came through; Jeff held a laser pointer against it and said he could just barely see the light as he looked through the other side of the lens. He came home with five pairs of the glasses.

Due to the weather, I wasn't able to try them until a couple hours ago -- the sun was still mostly hidden behind clouds, and I couldn't see any sunspots, but it was really cool seeing the cloud wisps travel over it.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 10 Jun 2010, 05:27

dbcooper wrote:Shiny butt is a hazard.
Ahh, my first sig in the New World...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Jun 2010, 18:55

I'm in Savannah and what do I run across? A fondue restaurant called "The Melting Pot". I've never had fondue(WTF is fondue?) but the girlfriend wanted to try. Apparently, fondue is totally the market and I was a lesser person for not having experienced it.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 10 Jun 2010, 20:42

I'm in a hotel for the week, and have the idiot box on for background noise. It's tuned to Glee, and from the bits I've paid attention to, it actually is as good as people say.
A line that made me laugh out loud: "That was the most offensive thing I've seen in 32 years of teaching, and I'm including an elementary school production of 'Hair."
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul