The Market!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

The Market!

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2010, 12:01

Stuff that works, works better than expected, is less expensive than expected, etc. In short, the market working properly.

E.g., for those of us who still have nonstick coated pans (an example, IMHO, of the market not working properly), the best damned turner / spatula I've found is the OXO silicon turner. Heat resistant to 600 degrees F., it's the only spatula I've ever used that didn't quickly begin to melt, pit, etc. through use. We own two of them.

Number 6

Re: The Market!

Post by Number 6 » 09 May 2010, 21:52

Google skymap on Android. It finds your location, and puts up a map of the sky that changes as you point to different regions of the sky. It senses the direction you're facing, as well as the elevation. Although it's cloudy tonight, it matches up with my mental image of where the stars are
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 10 May 2010, 11:57

I'm actually impressed that you have a mental image of where the stars are.

I've always been interested in astronomy in that I've learned about different types of stars and stellar evolution and the main sequence and some basic astrophysics, but as for actually knowing where constellations and stars are, I'm hopeless. If I can find them in the sky, I can identify the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper and Orion, and that's it.

I think it's because I have an extremely poor sense of direction, and this extends to cosmic scales.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2010, 12:07

Who hath decided that "pink salt imported from the Himalayas" is the latest Big Foodie Deal? About a month ago Jeff and I were strolling through a Whole Foods Market (despite their generally outrageous prices, you CAN get good deals there on staples like oatmeal, cornmeal and the like), and when we went through the spice aisle we saw jars of "Himalania Himalayan Pink Salt" -- big, solid chunks of pink rock salt with a little cheese grater in the jar. We bought one not as a spice but as decor -- the jar with the salt rocks and little grater inside and the pretentious label really does look cool. (At fifteen bucks for a half-pound of salt, it damn well better.) Then, a couple days ago at Trader Joe's, we found that TJ has its own brand of pink Himalayan salt which costs "only" two dollars for a half-pound. So we bought the little bottle, and tried it -- and it tastes like salt. The same salt that, if you're really broke, you can snag for free at fast-food condiment counters. If you really need pink salt on your table, a little red food coloring mixed with Morton's would work just as well.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 10 May 2010, 12:21

Stevo Darkly wrote:I'm actually impressed that you have a mental image of where the stars are.

I've always been interested in astronomy in that I've learned about different types of stars and stellar evolution and the main sequence and some basic astrophysics, but as for actually knowing where constellations and stars are, I'm hopeless. If I can find them in the sky, I can identify the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper and Orion, and that's it.

I think it's because I have an extremely poor sense of direction, and this extends to cosmic scales.
Don't be impressed. I love the stars, and am usually outside every night (I smoke, but not in the house), so I know in general where the major stars and constellations are simply because I look at them frequently. IE-Polaris (often hard to see) is a few degrees to the right of what I think of as straight north and maybe 50 degrees (a wild guess; I don't know how to figure ascention) up from the horizon. The Big Dipper is on roughly the same plane, but to the west. Venus is about 20-30 degrees up from the horizon (Right now-it varies, of course) and just north of east. You can't miss that one, especially this time of year. On a dark night, with a new moon, the milky way is visible as a diffuse band running a few degrees off of north-south. Knowing that much, I just held the phone pointed in what I guessed to be the right direction, and checked the map. As I said, my very rough estimate is that it's pretty much right. As for my sense of direction-In places I know, I'm very good at thinking something like "Well, the Missouri River is that way, and the river runs east-west to the north of me, so I'm facing north. Now, if I turn left, I'll be facing east. However, I am not one of those people who can, in an unfamiliar environment, spin around and find north. IOW, I'm good at relative direction and distance finding, but terrible at finding cardninal directions without a reference point.

In practical terms, this means I kick ass at land nav with a compass and map but am screwed if my compass breaks.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 10 May 2010, 12:44

I will just say that having a compass in the dashboard is one of my car's most useful features. In fact, you might say it's quite the market. Without it, I would often turn north when I meant to go south, or east when I meant to go west. I still do sometimes, but not nearly as often. It's also good for those times when I think, "I have no idea where I am, but if i keep going east, I will eventually run into [major street] and can get my bearings then."

(I don't have GPS in my car yet. I'm just biding my time in case it turns out to be a passing fad. Like I did with cell phones.)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 May 2010, 13:29

Jennifer wrote:Who hath decided that "pink salt imported from the Himalayas" is the latest Big Foodie Deal? About a month ago Jeff and I were strolling through a Whole Foods Market (despite their generally outrageous prices, you CAN get good deals there on staples like oatmeal, cornmeal and the like), and when we went through the spice aisle we saw jars of "Himalania Himalayan Pink Salt" -- big, solid chunks of pink rock salt with a little cheese grater in the jar. We bought one not as a spice but as decor -- the jar with the salt rocks and little grater inside and the pretentious label really does look cool. (At fifteen bucks for a half-pound of salt, it damn well better.) Then, a couple days ago at Trader Joe's, we found that TJ has its own brand of pink Himalayan salt which costs "only" two dollars for a half-pound. So we bought the little bottle, and tried it -- and it tastes like salt. The same salt that, if you're really broke, you can snag for free at fast-food condiment counters. If you really need pink salt on your table, a little red food coloring mixed with Morton's would work just as well.
I'll just say the the size/shape of the crystals makes a big difference. Also, sure salt tastes like salt, but trace minerals have a most definite effect on the taste and character. I use sea salt for most applications. No question it makes a difference.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2010, 15:16

There are two acceptable types of salt: Coarse Kosher and Sea salt. The end. I'm willing to entertain pink himalayan salt I guess, but coarse ground with minerality makes a hyuuge difference. Iodized table salt can suck it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2010, 15:24

What I need to do is try it on corn on the cob where you can taste nothing but the corn, butter and salt. Himalayan pink salt in an ordinary calls-for-salt recipe is -- just salt. Very pretentious and overpriced salt.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 May 2010, 15:31

JasonL wrote:There are two acceptable types of salt: Coarse Kosher and Sea salt. The end. I'm willing to entertain pink himalayan salt I guess, but coarse ground with minerality makes a hyuuge difference. Iodized table salt can suck it.
Oh I wouldn't go that far. In fact, I've never used Kosher because it costs too much. I understand that if you're trying to draw out moisture the flaky crystals work better, but if needs be I just grind my own sea salt with a mortar and pestle. And if I'm adding it to an aqueous solution, I'll go ahead and used iodized table salt. Though I usually cut the amount by at least 50%.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 May 2010, 16:20

JasonL wrote:There are two acceptable types of salt: Coarse Kosher and Sea salt. The end. I'm willing to entertain pink himalayan salt I guess, but coarse ground with minerality makes a hyuuge difference. Iodized table salt can suck it.
If you're using it for cooking, using kosher or sea salt is just wasting money. If you're salting after the meal is largely done or doing it to salt the meat, it's one thing, if you're mixing it into a sauce or into water where it's being dissolved, good old fashioned Morton's is fine.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 May 2010, 16:32

Warren wrote:
Oh I wouldn't go that far. In fact, I've never used Kosher because it costs too much. I understand that if you're trying to draw out moisture the flaky crystals work better, but if needs be I just grind my own sea salt with a mortar and pestle. And if I'm adding it to an aqueous solution, I'll go ahead and used iodized table salt. Though I usually cut the amount by at least 50%.
Agreed, except I use Kosher in place of sal-de-mer because I only want to have to deal with two kinds of salt, and I don't use enough salt to make the price difference matter. I got a big thing of Kosher salt about 4 years ago and am at most halfway through it. Iodized is fine for salted water for boiling, unless you'll have very delicate flavors. Pasta with no sauce, maybe use kosher/sea. Pasta with any flavorful sauce whatsoever, you're OK with cheap-ass iodized, because the sauce will more than drown out any tiny tinge of iodine flavor.

The one thing in favor of kosher when cooking over granulated (table) salt, is that those big flakes make it easy to pinch. Again, more important for sprinkling over meat or other 'done' foods than in an aqueous solution.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 10 May 2010, 16:39

I only use salt that is leached from the chrystallized urine of hermaphroditic white Asian elephants descended from the royal herd kept by the Moguls of India. I would never go back to regular table salt.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 May 2010, 16:56

If the salt isn't organic I want nothing to do with it.

What?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 10 May 2010, 16:58

Stevo Darkly wrote:I only use salt that is leached from the chrystallized urine of hermaphroditic white Asian elephants descended from the royal herd kept by the Moguls of India. I would never go back to regular table salt.
I will only use salt crystallized from the salty ham tears of embroilled politician's daughters. The price has been very favorable lately due to an increase in supply.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2010, 17:11

Parvenu infidels. Real Americans use only pink Himalayan rock salt with labels reading "Product of Pakistan."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2010, 17:26

Iodized salt is okay for saltified water and almost nothing else. I use kosher by the pinch for sauces because you can control the amount so much better. It is maybe 1.5X better for liquid sauce cooking, and it's 50X better for every other application - rubbing into meats, seasoning the stir fry, grilling.

Try roasting a chicken rubbed half with good coarse kosher and half with iodized salt, along with whatever else you like. Not. Even. Close.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 May 2010, 18:09

Jennifer wrote:Parvenu infidels. Real Americans use only pink Himalayan rock salt with labels reading "Product of Pakistan."
Jennifer, why do you want to buy salt from our enemies? Next thing you'll tell me that your backup salt is that sea salt harvested in the south of France.

Real libertarians use salt made by chemical companies, because it makes a hippie cry.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2010, 18:41

thoreau wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Parvenu infidels. Real Americans use only pink Himalayan rock salt with labels reading "Product of Pakistan."
Jennifer, why do you want to buy salt from our enemies? Next thing you'll tell me that your backup salt is that sea salt harvested in the south of France.
Funny thing is, I just did a salt inventory of my spice racks and cabinets: I have a large canister of kosher salt, a McCormick sea salt grinder, a larger grinder of Kirkland (Costco brand) "Mediterranean Sea Salt," another brand of sea-salt-in-giant-disposable grinder (which came with a matching grinder of black pepper), some plain iodized salt, and the aforementioned Himalania-brand pink rock salt bottled with its own little cheese grater, and the Trader Joe's "Product of Pakistan" pink salt in a grinder (although I was wrong about the size/price -- it's $2 for 4.8 ounces, not half a pound).

I just had a sudden image of me inviting people over for dinner, and of how incredibly fucking pretentious it would be if I offered them their choice of seven kinds of salt for seasoning. "Iodized, sea, or Himalayan pink? Himalayan, you say? Good choice. Do you prefer grated or ground?"

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 10 May 2010, 18:49

Dr T, you have been sigged.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 May 2010, 18:51

Number 6 wrote:Dr T, you have been sigged.
I would have went with "If the salt isn't organic I want nothing to do with it."

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 10 May 2010, 23:36

I'm fairly sure that most table salt, whether mined from underground deposits , by mechanical digging or the Frasch process or evaporated from the waters of The Great Salt Lake*, is regular old Sodium Chloride (NaCl).

That said, I have several shakers and grinders of "Sea Salt", but I have have no illusions that they are any different from any other source. But I like to impress my dinner guests. :)

*When I lived in Utah, I drove by the Morton Salt plant many times. It was amazing to see so much salt being plowed up with front-end loaders in much the same way that sand and gravel is piled up in a gravel pit.
Last edited by Isaac Bartram on 11 May 2010, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 May 2010, 23:55

Alton Brown once explained why large grained salt was superior for cooking, but I can't remember the explanation because I rarely add salt to anything I cook.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2010, 23:59

I remember when the Onion sold joke gift boxes -- put a good gift in what looks like a box for a crap gift -- and one possibility was the "Salt of the Month Club."

If they tried that now they'd get actual takers. This month: imported pink Himalayan salt laid down on the floor of ancient Mesozoic seas (or whatever the fuck the pink-salt website said)! Mediterranean sea salt! Mormon lake salt! Nuclear salt from the mines where they store radioactive waste!

This is some pretentious fucking salt.

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 11 May 2010, 00:04

Jennifer wrote:Nuclear salt from the mines where they store radioactive waste!
Damn, I gotta get me some of that. I bet it'll give me superpowers.