Icky Gervais or Sticky(it to 'em) Gervais?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Icky Gervais or Sticky(it to 'em) Gervais?

Post by lunchstealer »

YOU GUYS HUGH HEFNER DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 15:35 YOU GUYS HUGH HEFNER DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
Of course not. But he was dead the last three years of his life when Crystal was doing the Weekend at Bernie's thing with him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Mo

Post by Mo »

I don't get the fapping over Gervais' comments by the right. Hasn't he basically the same material every time he's hosted the Golden Globes? He basically goes after the actors, Hollywood and the HFPA every year as a pillow soft roast, everyone laughs, pretends their offended and then goes home and bangs their beautiful spouse/bf/gf/mistress* on top of a big pile of money.

* What's the male version of a mistress? A mister?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 09:26 I don't get the fapping over Gervais' comments by the right. Hasn't he basically the same material every time he's hosted the Golden Globes? He basically goes after the actors, Hollywood and the HFPA every year as a pillow soft roast, everyone laughs, pretends their offended and then goes home and bangs their beautiful spouse/bf/gf/mistress* on top of a big pile of money.
I didn't get it either, considering that Gervais' politics are very left wing and anti-god jokes are a big part of his shtick.
Kept man or gigolo.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 10:48
Kept man or gigolo.
It's hard to remember because life goes on without them.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Warren wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 13:59
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 12:27 Chappelle had a much better Epstein joke at the Mark Twain Awards ceremony televised last night. Having previously mentioned Hugh Hefner in a different context, he then did a callback, describing Hefner as "you know, like Epstein but with a grotto."
:?
Fort the record, this wasn't Chapelle's joke. It was the guy who worked with Chappelle to create High Times and the Chappelle show.

In context the joke was funny but, yeah, not entirely accurate.

(I think? My impression of Hef's thing is that by modern standards, his methods were very sexist, but not overtly coerced like Epsteins.)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 22:38
Warren wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 13:59
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 12:27 Chappelle had a much better Epstein joke at the Mark Twain Awards ceremony televised last night. Having previously mentioned Hugh Hefner in a different context, he then did a callback, describing Hefner as "you know, like Epstein but with a grotto."
:?
Fort the record, this wasn't Chapelle's joke. It was the guy who worked with Chappelle to create High Times and the Chappelle show.

In context the joke was funny but, yeah, not entirely accurate.

(I think? My impression of Hef's thing is that by modern standards, his methods were very sexist, but not overtly coerced like Epsteins.)
Yeah, you're right, it was Neal Brennan.

My guess is that Hefner was closer to a Harvey Weinstein type in his, um, hiring practices. That said, it was the sexual revolution and there were no doubt many young women who had no big problem with that.

Even so, geez, jokes have to be accurate?
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

No, but it does make them better.

Edit don't know why the video doesn't work. (It's the clip of Homer lauging 'it's funny because it's true')
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Kolohe wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 23:06 No, but it does make them better.

Edit don't know why the video doesn't work. (It's the clip of Homer lauging 'it's funny because it's true')
Youtube embeds aren't working with the new upgrade.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Funny or meh, it's always good to go after hollywood sanctimony at one of their self congratulatory events. I find the piles of money and hot spouses thing a strange riposte. I mean, hollywood types get all preachy about billionaires, so ...
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JasonL wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 10:59 Funny or meh, it's always good to go after hollywood sanctimony at one of their self congratulatory events. I find the piles of money and hot spouses thing a strange riposte. I mean, hollywood types get all preachy about billionaires, so ...
One of the reasons that Hollywood studios fail so often is that the people who run them try to operate like the billionaires in their movies rather than real businessmen.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 11:02
JasonL wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 10:59 Funny or meh, it's always good to go after hollywood sanctimony at one of their self congratulatory events. I find the piles of money and hot spouses thing a strange riposte. I mean, hollywood types get all preachy about billionaires, so ...
One of the reasons that Hollywood studios fail so often is that the people who run them try to operate like the billionaires in their movies rather than real businessmen.
Nowadays, it's more like the reason the studios so often fail is that the people who run them are businessmen and lawyers who treat the industry exactly as they would a poultry business or a chain of shoe stores. Say what you will about the movie moguls of bygone days, they understood the entertainment industry as many of those in charge now do not.

Not counting film franchises, for a movie to succeed by Hollywood metrics, it has to have a convergence of five or six disparate elements (screenplay, cast, director, soundtrack, editing, promotion and maybe a few more) and no one has ever found a foolproof formula of putting those together every time, so every genuinely new movie is a crap shoot.

I don't think the film and television industries care that much about the Golden Globes beyond the fact that they're free advertising for the nominated films and a rough indicator (but only that) of how they'll do come Oscars time. Yes, it's all self-congratulatory but it's also part of the business of promoting movies. Other than the Oscars, themselves, if you're, say, a screenwriter, you'd much rather win the Screenwriters' Guild Award than a Golden Globe, but getting your name mentioned on prime-time broadcast TV ain't nothing, either.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

All other considerations have been subjugated to "has appeal to the global market". I'm not sure that's business dumb for mega films.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 11:22 All other considerations have been subjugated to "has appeal to the global market". I'm not sure that's business dumb for mega films.
Except that niche or genre films about which the Asian market (which is the only global market if we are to take South Park as truth) is known from the get-go to have no interest are still being made. Blockbusters, tentpoles, movies with > $100m budgets, yeah, they're going to scrub those things to make sure they get access to those markets, but there's still no guarantee of success once they open.
Mo

Post by Mo »

After their win, I decided to look up Armond White's review of the film and it did not disappoint.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/10/ ... cial-ruin/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex