Icky Gervais or Sticky(it to 'em) Gervais?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Icky Gervais or Sticky(it to 'em) Gervais?

Post by Ellie »

This is the worst thread title in history and I apologize :lol:

Did anyone watch the Golden Globes or enough of Gervais's hosting performance to have an opinion? I've only seen a couple snippets attached to various hot takes and I don't know what to think. Someone tell me what to think! ;)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

JasonL

Re: Icky Gervais or Sticky(it to 'em) Gervais?

Post by JasonL »

Anyone telling hollywood to dial back sanctimonious lefty finger wagging is for the good.

Highway

Post by Highway »

My opinion of Ricky Gervais is that he is an unfunny shithead, and in no position to be telling anyone to not be full of themselves with the way he behaves on social media. I wouldn't watch anything he's involved with, so I didn't see the show last night, but in general, Gervais is about 10 years past his expiration date.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'm easily amused by tasteless humor, especially when leveled against the preachy. If Gervais is a hypocrite then he's at least an amusing one. I enjoyed his monologue.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Given that the Golden Globes is the silliest, most fraudulent Hollywood awards show of them all, which is already saying something, and that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the entire membership of which runs to the high two figures, discovered a few years ago that its only chance for decent TV ratings was to permit its hosts to mock the HFPA, the awards, and the celebrities willing to whore themselves out for the night for MOET and $100k goodie bags, I'd say the real question is whether it is conceivable that Gervais could go too far. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I am in complete agreement with all of the above.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I've only watched highlight reels of his comments, but I enjoyed them. Telling Hollywood people that they're uneducated, sheltered, hypocritical hacks who play make believe for a living is fine by me.

I don't think anything he said hadn't been said around here at some point, really. The fun is pretending anyone in the audience was listening.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren »

The Korprashuns is Eval bit didn't resonate with me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I don't know if the joke-barb landed differently in the full context, but I did enjoy the Epstein bit:

"Spoiler alert, season 2 [of After Life] is on the way. So in the end he obviously didn’t kill himself. Just like Jeffrey Epstein." (audience booing) "Shut up, I know he’s your friend but I don’t care." (Gervais waving away awkward laughing) "You had to make your own way here, in your own plane, didn't ya?"

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I agree with the person on twitter that said Gervais wasn't terrible, but the smug 'ain't I a stinker' pauses he did after every ostensible punchline were terrible.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 13:29
This is the worst thread title in history and I apologize :lol:
I will forgive you.

One day.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

My actual take is that it just means that the "Epstein didn't kill himself" gag/meme has been flogged to death enough for someone like Gervais to use it.

And doing a lol, actors shut up about your politics bit right before Jennifer Aniston read a speech by Russell Crowe saying, fix climate change, please, my entire fucking country is burning down just makes him look pissy. Worse, more people walked out and made political remarks, completely undeterred by Gervais, emphasizing that he doesn't have the charisma or gravity to actually embarrass anyone who wanted to be political.

Of course, the Golden Globes is such a soft target that people act like he was Lenny Bruce up there. And a lot of people have been wanking over how offended they imagine the actors must be out of proportion to any actual expressions of offense. It's like some Facebook meme that ends with, "I bet your [sic] triggered now, libs!"

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dbcooper wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 19:57
Wut.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 20:03
dbcooper wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 19:57
Wut.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ahhhhh.

Shem

Post by Shem »

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 19:01
And a lot of people have been wanking over how offended they imagine the actors must be out of proportion to any actual expressions of offense. It's like some Facebook meme that ends with, "I bet your [sic] triggered now, libs!"
Real life representation of pretty much everyone he was trying to browbeat after that speech.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 02:02
Eric the .5b wrote:
And a lot of people have been wanking over how offended they imagine the actors must be out of proportion to any actual expressions of offense. It's like some Facebook meme that ends with, "I bet your [sic] triggered now, libs!"
Real life representation of pretty much everyone he was trying to browbeat after that speech.
Heheheheh.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Shem wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 02:02
Eric the .5b wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

When you hear an Epstein joke at the Golden Globes:

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Chappelle had a much better Epstein joke at the Mark Twain Awards ceremony televised last night. Having previously mentioned Hugh Hefner in a different context, he then did a callback, describing Hefner as "you know, like Epstein but with a grotto."

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 12:27
Chappelle had a much better Epstein joke at the Mark Twain Awards ceremony televised last night. Having previously mentioned Hugh Hefner in a different context, he then did a callback, describing Hefner as "you know, like Epstein but with a grotto."
:?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 13:59
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
He said it was a better joke, he didn't say it was a good joke.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 14:00
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
It wasn't a bad joke but it required the long setup I wasn't going to bother to relate and which would be pointless now, but basically he had talked about "Playboy After Dark" and the "grotto" under the Playboy Mansion, etc., etc.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 14:05
Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 14:00
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
It wasn't a bad joke but it required the long setup I wasn't going to bother to relate and which would be pointless now, but basically he had talked about "Playboy After Dark" and the "grotto" under the Playboy Mansion, etc., etc.
But the joke equates Hefner to Epstein. That's too offensive to be funny no matter the setup.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT