Mondegreens

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Mondegreens

Post by Jennifer »

I thought we had a mondegreen thread, but I must be thinking of a previous forum. What are some longstanding mondegreens of yours? When I was very young, I remember hearing Gloria Gaynor's "I never can say goodbye, boy" as "I never can say the Bible" -- and thanks to the satellite radio in Jeff's car, which shows the names of any song currently playing (unless the station forgot to properly input the metadata), I only recently learned that a certain tune I half-remembered from childhood road trips features the Marshall Tucker Band singing "Heard it in a love song," NOT "Dirty little love song" as I'd previously thought.*

*After listening to the song again, and especially after reading the lyrics, I think my lyrics might actually work better. The guy singing clearly is NOT enthralled with the idea of settling down with one woman, no matter what the love songs say.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Re: Mondegreens

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm only a few steps beyond Randall Munroe in understanding song lyrics, sometimes. It's especially bad when I don't know the title of the song. I actually started a list a few years back; I thought I might use them as software project code names.

* I thought "Candida" by Tony Orlando was about convincing his girlfriend to go start a little "cantina" with him in the countryside, somewhere.
* Similarly, before I looked up what the song was called, I thought the Boxer Rebellion's "Diamonds" had the line "I'm no good next to Darwin". (Poor Lamarck!)
* I thought "Take Me Over" by Peking Duk had a line about "there's no Foreign Legion", but it's "Dream no more and leave it".
* "All Night Long" by Peter Murphy has a line I thought was "Know that by heart", but is apparently "No bad vibe hearts".
* From the soundtrack of dhex's favorite movie, "Tokyo Drift (Fast and Furious)" by the Teriyaki Boyz, I kept trying to parse "fast-and-furiouhhhs" as "cross-the-barrierrrrr", which seems unwise in a race, drifting or not.

Some I blame on the artists, as I can confirm other people mishearing these:

* "Hold my flaming satellite" is more of a complete thought than, "Hold my flame and set alight [nothing ever specified]" in the chorus of "Flame" by Sundara Karma.
* "Midnight City" by M83 refers to "Looking at the milky skyline" while sounding much more like "Looking at the mutating skyline".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

First time I heard In Living Colour's "Cult of Personality" I thought he was singing "I'm a fucked up personality" and was absolutely shocked: "I didn't know you could say THAT on the radio!"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren »

I don't care what the "official" lyrics are, or what was sung on subsequent versions. The original lyrics sung on the recording actually are:
She's got electric boobs, her mom had used.
You know I read it in a magazine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'd always thought it was "She's got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know she got it from a Pakistani, oh ho."

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Not mine, but one of my favorites was actually from JasonL. He originally thought the chorus in Prodigy's "Smack my Bitch up!" was saying "Snap my picture!"

I've had a few over the years but the only one that springs to mind was Sleep's "From Beyond." There is a line that goes "Chilled rays freeze below the eye of silver sun" and I originally heard it as "below the iron super sun." I remember thinking I don't know what an iron super sun is but it sounds pretty bad ass.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 22:50
First time I heard In Living Colour's "Cult of Personality" I thought he was singing "I'm a fucked up personality" and was absolutely shocked: "I didn't know you could say THAT on the radio!"
OK, that's funny. :)

JD

Post by JD »

Not mine, but the name of the band Radio Birdman is actually based on one of these - the Stooges' "1970" includes the line "Radio burnin' up above", which the band heard as "Radio birdman up above".
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Until I went to a karaoke bar with my then-wife, I believed Stevie Nicks' song Edge of Seventeen included the lyric, "Just like the world we know." The real lyric, of course, is "Just like the white-winged dove."
After hearing that someone heard, "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" from Purple Haze as "Excuse me while I kiss this guy," I can't not hear it that way.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren »

Number 6 wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 13:19
Until I went to a karaoke bar with my then-wife, I believed Stevie Nicks' song Edge of Seventeen included the lyric, "Just like the world we know." The real lyric, of course, is "Just like the white-winged dove."
After hearing that someone heard, "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" from Purple Haze as "Excuse me while I kiss this guy," I can't not hear it that way.
I never understood what Stevie was singing about. It sounded to me like "Just like the whirl winger. Sings a song says as she's singing". Uh okay.

Also this, just because
Excuse me while I kiss this fly
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I thought for sure it was "Just like the wild wind blows..."
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I was a "world we know" guy too.

nicole

Post by nicole »

I always heard the “white winged dove” part right, but thought the next bit was “sings a song sans actually singing” ie without actually singing.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Number 6 wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 13:19
I heard it as 'one winged dove'. A trait I share with John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I just realized I've been hearing precisely one multiply-repeated word of Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" wrong for the last twenty-six years.

I thought it was "grave", not "gray".

Which made sense to me. Likening someone to "a kiss from a rose on the grave" conveyed the ambivalence that keeps cropping up in the song—talking about someone who brings comfort and life to him, but is also kind of a painful addiction. Also a more dramatic metaphor for loneliness and depression. Ah, well.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Eric the .5b wrote:
15 May 2020, 00:37
I just realized I've been hearing precisely one multiply-repeated word of Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" wrong for the last twenty-six years.

Which made sense to me. Likening someone to "a kiss from a rose on the grave" conveyed the ambivalence that keeps cropping up in the song—talking about someone who brings comfort and life to him, but is also kind of a painful addiction. Also a more dramatic metaphor for loneliness and depression. Ah, well.
Wait, WHAT?!

Of course it's "grave"!

**Googles**

Well, shit.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jake wrote:
15 May 2020, 04:14
Eric the .5b wrote:

Wait, WHAT?!

Of course it's "grave"!

**Googles**

Well, shit.
This may be the single greatest argument against authorial intent ever witnessed.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

"Kiss from a rose on the gray" makes NO sense at all. I'm sticking with "grave" for this.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Jennifer wrote:
15 May 2020, 15:09
"Kiss from a rose on the gray" makes NO sense at all. I'm sticking with "grave" for this.
+1
lunchstealer wrote:
15 May 2020, 14:57
Jake wrote:
15 May 2020, 04:14
Eric the .5b wrote:

Wait, WHAT?!

Of course it's "grave"!

**Googles**

Well, shit.
This may be the single greatest argument against authorial intent ever witnessed.
Also this.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Kiss from a rose on the GRAY? Like one of the aliens?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD