The "Historically Rich" game

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: The "Historically Rich" game

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 17:25

I checked linen thread -- still used in Mesopotamia to sew bolts of cloth into garments, or string beads together into a necklace -- but even that's pretty pricey today (in the sense that $50 won't get you THAT much). Ignoring thread color, the first item I found in an Amazon search was $5.23 for a spool of 125 yards of thread. (And if you actually did bring it back in time, you'd first have to go through the bother of unrolling all that thread from its plastic spool, and re-wrapping it around a twig or whatever ancient thread-sellers used to store their wares.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Re: The "Historically Rich" game

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 20:44

It would be easier if you go only as far as the mid to late Roman Empire: salt of course, and pepper (salt is not included in the "spices" category because pepper and spices are merely for flavoring, whereas salt is an actual biological necessity with many uses beyond altering the taste of food), some clear glassware (not the kind that is obviously pressed or molded glass, though; thin-blown only IIRC); various glazed ceramics, gemstones and/or cultured pearls. Definitely max out your $50 allowance on olive oil, and raisins also were extremely valuable in ancient Rome -- although I think seedless raisins were anachronisms, and I'd guess raisins with seeds are less commonplace and more expensive than seedless these days.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b