Filming music is like dancing to prog rock

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dead_elvis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Filming music is like dancing to prog rock

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Jun 2019, 17:47

To branch off of:
dbcooper wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 13:38
dbcooper wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 09:34
This was pretty bad. The narration communicated very little in the time, and their access to the top session musicians of the era produced nothing - they gave them sound bites at best. Hyper-editing of musical geniuses, with multiple grammy awards, to get "Steely Dan were good."

British TV is so fucking bad now.
I recall being disappointed in their synth-pop doc a ways back. But I don't think it's just British TV. There's just a lot of lazy music docs on the streaming services now, most of which are as you describe. It's just too easy to slap together some clips with some interviews of barely relevant people doing hagiography and call it a day.

Even something like The Wrecking Crew was widely praised but I found to be a let down.

One of the best I can think of is Beware of Mister Baker. That was lightning in a bottle.
Also recall really liking You're Gonna Miss Me (Roky Erickson, R.I.P.). Be Here to Love Me (Townes Van Zandt). Decline of Western Civ. We Jam Econo.

So I want to ask: what are some music/musician docs that y'all think don't suck?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Filming music is like dancing to prog rock

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2019, 19:03

"like dancing to prog rock" says the man who obviously has never seen the audience at an Anathema concert.

... or maybe he has, and that's why he made the analogy. Hmm....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2019, 19:36

dead_elvis wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 17:47
I recall being disappointed in their synth-pop doc a ways back. But I don't think it's just British TV. There's just a lot of lazy music docs on the streaming services now, most of which are as you describe. It's just too easy to slap together some clips with some interviews of barely relevant people doing hagiography and call it a day.

Even something like The Wrecking Crew was widely praised but I found to be a let down.

One of the best I can think of is Beware of Mister Baker. That was lightning in a bottle.
Also recall really liking You're Gonna Miss Me (Roky Erickson, R.I.P.). Be Here to Love Me (Townes Van Zandt). Decline of Western Civ. We Jam Econo.

So I want to ask: what are some music/musician docs that y'all think don't suck?
I dug The Wrecking Crew because I learned things I didn't already know.
20 Feet from Stardom less so.

I just started watching AXS TV. They do a lot of Docs That Rock. It mostly depends on if I like the band and how much I know already. I got a lot out of Kansas - Miracles Out of Nowhere. Also recommend Stevie Ray Vaughan -Texas Blues Man (parts I & II). There was a Janis Joplin one I saw sometime this year but can't find it. And my ex-roomate that fancies himself a musician, was very impressed with Chicago - The Terry Kath Experience.

Classic Albums has been hit and miss, but I do recommend Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Jun 2019, 09:12

Peter Bogdonovich (sp?) did a documentary of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers which I found very good, titled Runnin' Down a Dream.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jul 2019, 18:26

Watched Scorsese's Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix. It annoys me that it could be a perfectly interesting movie but it's not the one I wanted to see. The made up shit completely undermines the real footage, turning what could be interesting or enlightening into yet another chore of fact checking which is not enjoyable after having to do it day after day for the news. The unreliable narrator trope is fine sometimes, but not what I wanted here; while it made the amusing stuff amusing it undermined any whiff of sincerity in moments that felt real. And it seemed unnecessary; there was enough material to work with he could have crafted any narrative he wanted without resorting to that.

On its own terms, I suppose it works. Everybody sells it well so you might as well give in to the mystery of myth and as I said it can make it amusing. A bit where Modern Dylan talks about Roger McGuinn potentially bugging the fictional filmmaker because McGuinn "was into sophisticated electronics; so I'm not saying it wasn't, but I'm not saying it was, because I don't know that for a fact" in a movie with so many made up things made me guffaw, and also reminded me that I really wish Reason had given this to Jesse Walker to review; would have been right up his alley.

I was never particularly a Dylan fan but many of the performance parts are so good I just might be now, so it has that going for it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Jul 2019, 19:25

dead_elvis wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 18:26
Watched Scorsese's Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix. It annoys me that it could be a perfectly interesting movie but it's not the one I wanted to see. The made up shit completely undermines the real footage, turning what could be interesting or enlightening into yet another chore of fact checking which is not enjoyable after having to do it day after day for the news. The unreliable narrator trope is fine sometimes, but not what I wanted here; while it made the amusing stuff amusing it undermined any whiff of sincerity in moments that felt real. And it seemed unnecessary; there was enough material to work with he could have crafted any narrative he wanted without resorting to that.

On its own terms, I suppose it works. Everybody sells it well so you might as well give in to the mystery of myth and as I said it can make it amusing. A bit where Modern Dylan talks about Roger McGuinn potentially bugging the fictional filmmaker because McGuinn "was into sophisticated electronics; so I'm not saying it wasn't, but I'm not saying it was, because I don't know that for a fact" in a movie with so many made up things made me guffaw, and also reminded me that I really wish Reason had given this to Jesse Walker to review; would have been right up his alley.

I was never particularly a Dylan fan but many of the performance parts are so good I just might be now, so it has that going for it.
I watched it because I knew it was, um, Dylanesque in its historicity and because I'm probably far and away the biggest Dylan fan on the Gryll. But somewhere around 98% of us Dylan fans will admit, push comes to shove, that it's Dylan's songs, not his performance of those songs, that make us fans and if we go to see Dylan performances it's because he's performing those amazing songs and because it's him even though chances are better than not, and have been practically from the beginning of his career, that the performance judged as such is somewhere ranging from so-so to terrible.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jul 2019, 16:54

Jasper wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 09:12
Peter Bogdonovich (sp?) did a documentary of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers which I found very good, titled Runnin' Down a Dream.
Just finished all 4 hours(!) of this over 2 days. Very enjoyable, thanks for the recommendation!

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2019, 18:24

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 16:54
Jasper wrote:
Just finished all 4 hours(!) of this over 2 days. Very enjoyable, thanks for the recommendation!
Is it mostly concert footage?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Jul 2019, 00:36

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 18:24
dead_elvis wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Is it mostly concert footage?
Not really. There is concert footage, but after as many years as they were working it's just plenty of stories to tell. They could have cut prolly 20 minutes of pointless hagiography, but the thing I didn't mind about it was that because it was such a long movie the ration is still very good and that they didn't just praise him and the band, I thought they did a decent job of showing *why* he/they received/deserved such accolades.

Also it was a story that would make Malcolm Gladwell proud. Petty was writing tons of songs early and was in a position to get good feedback. The way Petty talks about it in the movie it's magic but if you know to look for it it was just hard work+being in a position to get immediate quality feedback=what looks like magical inspiration.
Last edited by dead_elvis on 13 Aug 2019, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2019, 21:21

dead_elvis wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Finished over three days. Quite a slog but well worth it.
Could have easily lost over 20 min without even noticing. A skilled editor could probably cut another 15 and make a better film.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT