Fables of the Reconstruction, or Construction Time Again

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Fables of the Reconstruction, or Construction Time Again

Post by tr0g » 07 Sep 2018, 09:56

So, 80s music thread title aside, I'm starting a thread to update y'all on the new house build. I may set up a dropbox later for more interesting stuff.

Current status: waiting on a termite treatment report and receipt to be able to close Monday. Treatment was done yesterday, so in-house counsel will start harassing the pest company here shortly about the paperwork.

Next step: Close.

After that, get architect started on plans and estimates so we can get a construction loan. Wade through all the crap left on the property and decide what stays and what goes. Call a tow company about the car left half on my property and half on the vacant property next door.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Re: Fables of the Reconstruction, or Construction Time Again

Post by JasonL » 07 Sep 2018, 09:59

I forget are you remodeling or stripping a structure to the foundation?

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 Sep 2018, 10:21

JasonL wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 09:59
I forget are you remodeling or stripping a structure to the foundation?
Scrape and build.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Sep 2018, 18:00

tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 09:56
After that, get architect started on plans and estimates so we can get a construction loan. Wade through all the crap left on the property and decide what stays and what goes. Call a tow company about the car left half on my property and half on the vacant property next door.
You can't just get the burly Germans from the Mentos ad to move it whole onto the vacant lot?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 Sep 2018, 21:39

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 18:00
tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 09:56
You can't just get the burly Germans from the Mentos ad to move it whole onto the vacant lot?
That is a thought that has occurred to me. Actually, it's more hook the logging chain to my truck and yank or the come-along to a tree and pull it off my lot. Let the developer next door figure it out when they get around to it.

Also, I hate everyone involved in real estate transactions. Today's fun? We're closing at 10 AM on Monday. At 5 PM today I get a phone call. There's something wrong with the survey! Can you get hold of the surveyor? :roll:

At 5 on a Friday? No. If he doesn't answer his phone, we're all fucked. Maybe somebody should have looked at the survey two weeks ago when we sent it to everyone instead of literally waiting until the last possible goddamned minute to figure this out. :evil:

Somehow the title company got through to him and we're still on.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Sep 2018, 04:58

tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 21:39
Somehow the title company got through to him and we're still on.
Thank goodness for that. I don't understand the real estate 24/7 mentality. We experienced a very similar issue when we closed on our place. It's maddening.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Sep 2018, 10:16

So, we has house. We drove over after closing and the idiot son of the homeowner had left the front door open. Not unlocked, mind you, but wide open. So my first task was to replace the locks, just in case and to keep vandals, etc, out of the joint while we do everything else.

The semi-abandoned car was gone, as was some of the detritus from the backyard. It’s raining right now and will be all day, so the outside will have to wait. I may go over later and clean out some of the trash.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Sep 2018, 10:27

Yay, congrats!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 10:39

Congrats on the property!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2018, 11:37

We had a builder come back to us with some plan revisions that are pretty close to what we'd want in a full custom build. Exterior not as architecturally interesting but lots of the floorplan features.

Has anyone ever lived with a modern geothermal heating and cooling unit? Like this sort of thing: https://www.waterfurnace.com/residential/

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2018, 12:02

JasonL wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 11:37
We had a builder come back to us with some plan revisions that are pretty close to what we'd want in a full custom build. Exterior not as architecturally interesting but lots of the floorplan features.

Has anyone ever lived with a modern geothermal heating and cooling unit? Like this sort of thing: https://www.waterfurnace.com/residential/
So you've capitulated on the spousal organization requirements?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 12:16

I've never lived with a geo thermal system, but my boss has one and as far as I know has not had any trouble with it. From a personal standpoint, I think I'd prefer a bored vertical system over a horizontal system, but that's gonna be more expensive.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Sep 2018, 18:29

Highway wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:16
I've never lived with a geo thermal system, but my boss has one and as far as I know has not had any trouble with it. From a personal standpoint, I think I'd prefer a bored vertical system over a horizontal system, but that's gonna be more expensive.
I'll second this. Had a buddy install one in the U.P., works great. He did horizontal as well because he's got the room. I don't know what drilling rates are where you are at but here they are about $10/ft.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Sep 2018, 08:40

Congrats on owning property. Someone send him the gold filigree to add to his decoder ring. :D
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Sep 2018, 10:17

Highway wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:16
I talked to my boss about his system, and he said he's been very happy with it, not had any trouble. His is horizontal (he has a big farm field it's under), his relatives have a vertical system, and they both are about the same efficiency. Said he was really impressed with how quiet it is, compared to a heat pump he had in another house. And it's Water Furnace brand. He said it definitely is more consistent with output, not affected by outside temp or humidity at all.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Sep 2018, 10:20

Great thanks!

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2018, 11:20

I wonder what the effect of latitude (say within the Midwest) is on a horizontal system.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 Sep 2018, 16:53

Warren wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 11:20
I wonder what the effect of latitude (say within the Midwest) is on a horizontal system.
The further north you go the further down you dig?

This page has some good info on the soil conditions at average geothermal/heat pump depths,