To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Painboy wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 22:02 Dolomite is my name is a lot of fun. It's actually more of a feel good movie. Best stuff Eddie Murphy has done in a while.
I was afraid to watch it. Dolomite is just to damn bad. It would break my heart if they fucked it up. I just assumed it was as great as Black Dynamite and moved on.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I really enjoyed season 2 of Lost in Space. It's nice to see a series that adopts the serialization and character development parts of the GAoTV, but without the parts where everybody is miserable/awful and nobody is trustworthy. It's fun and exciting and dramatic without the looming dread of who's gonna die this week. Parker Posey is one of the best TV villains since Louise Fletcher on DS9.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Holy shit I didn't realize that kai Winn was Nurse Ratched.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

WTF is GAoTV?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Highway

Post by Highway »

Warren wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 14:38WTF is GAoTV?
Golden Age of Television
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 14:41
Warren wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 14:38WTF is GAoTV?
Golden Age of Television
What really?

Hugh,
Are you talking about TOS or the Netflix reboot?
Also what are some GAoTV shows where everybody is miserable/awful and nobody is trustworthy?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Warren wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 14:52 Also what are some GAoTV shows where everybody is miserable/awful and nobody is trustworthy?
Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Mad Men, Mr. Robot

(and -- just guessing because I haven't actually watched these -- Ozark, Game of Thrones, Black Mirror)

(also maybe Deadwood)

(and Mindhunter)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

None of those are Golden Age of Tellevsion Shows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:01 None of those are Golden Age of Tellevsion Shows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ag ... 93present)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:37
Warren wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:01 None of those are Golden Age of Tellevsion Shows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ag ... 93present)
Well fuck me.
Okay I'll just sit over here in the rocker. Wake me when it's time for Wheel of Fortune.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Another thing I like about it is that almost all of the people in positions of authority are either callous, clueless, or malicious. Dr. Smith lied her way into a position of trusted authority without any education or experience at all. These are the wholesome messages that our young people should be exposed to.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 19:25 Another thing I like about it is that almost all of the people in positions of authority are either callous, clueless, or malicious. Dr. Smith lied her way into a position of trusted authority without any education or experience at all. These are the wholesome messages that our young people should be exposed to.
I don't know about "wholesome" but it is certainly a dynamic one is likely to encounter as they try to make their way in this world.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hang on... Parker Posey as Dr. Smith?

It's suddenly very on the radar.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

While watching season 3 I think I finally figured out how to watch Sabrina. It's sort of vaguely feminist vaguely queer kitsch that doesn't quite rise to the level of Riverdale's insanity (I have never seen Riverdale, but I have seen headlines referencing its nuttiness). The problem with eight-episode serial dramas with large casts is that, even when you stretch those episodes out to a full hour, you really don't have time for little character moments that make your show endure because you're too busy servicing a zillion plot threads.

As with earlier seasons, the best moment was when Aunt Hilda got murdery, and the actual star of the show is Kiernan Shipka's wardrobe.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

The Witcher was a surprisingly good series. I say surprisingly because it got absolutely panned by a certain sector of critics. I mean it's not high art or anything but it was enjoyable. I have read the books and played the game so maybe that helps? The asymmetric converging timeline is a little odd but I never felt it was confusing. It does wear its fantasy on it's sleeve so maybe people were expecting something more subtle?

I'm still not a hundred percent on the casting choices. I wasn't sure about Cavill but he won me over by the end of the season. I'm still on the fence about Yennifer and Tris. They aren't quite like I would envision them, even outside what they did with them in the game. Of course they're both "young" at this point in the story.

I liked a lot of what they did with the armor and costumes (Although armor is still treated like just a costume most of the time). The exception of the Nilfgardian armor. I really don't know what they were thinking there.

Also recently binged through Bojack Horseman. While there was some eye rolly stuff on occasion it was overall a really good series. Arnett did some really fantastic voice work for that. It's amazing how grounded it felt despite being about a cartoon horse guy. They did a really good job in pacing the series. It reminded me a lot of Breaking Bad. It starts out almost like a farce and slowly and inexorably spirals into some really dark places without feeling too forced. There were a few areas that were uneven. Bojack's family history was borderland soap opera at times. And as the series went on Diane seemed less a real person than a mouth piece for the writer's opinions on things. But overall it was really impressive for 6 seasons of material.
nicole

Post by nicole »

I agree with all that about Witcher. My impression was that most of the people I saw panning it were just not really taking it on its own terms. A lot of comparisons to GoT, which I was just like, what? They have nothing in common beyond the most basic idea of “fantasy.”

I had previously only played one of the games (3) and none of the books or stories so I came into it with a strong sense of the characters but knowing I didn’t really know most of their stories.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Painboy wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 18:37 Also recently binged through Bojack Horseman. While there was some eye rolly stuff on occasion it was overall a really good series. Arnett did some really fantastic voice work for that. It's amazing how grounded it felt despite being about a cartoon horse guy. They did a really good job in pacing the series. It reminded me a lot of Breaking Bad. It starts out almost like a farce and slowly and inexorably spirals into some really dark places without feeling too forced. There were a few areas that were uneven. Bojack's family history was borderland soap opera at times. And as the series went on Diane seemed less a real person than a mouth piece for the writer's opinions on things. But overall it was really impressive for 6 seasons of material.
I gave up after season 4. I couldn't have cared less about Bojack's mother's traumatic life, and it seemed like every episode was hammering on a new political hobbyhorse of the writers.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm about halfway through a four episode documentary called "College Behind Bars." I'm sort of a sucker for these sorts of stories, plus I'm feeling a tad incarcerated myself at the moment so it seems somewhat fitting.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Travelers takes a few episodes to get going, but I'm pretty invested at the end of the first season. The writing, directing, acting etc aren't spectacular, but they all hang together pretty well. The only problem is that it takes itself a little too seriously (especially in the cinematography and music departments) for what is essentially a basic cable sci-fi action/drama.

And in case anyone is wondering, this is an ideal time to rewatch Burn Notice.