To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Number 6

Re: To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Post by Number 6 » 08 May 2019, 08:39

Pham Nuwen wrote:
08 May 2019, 08:27
Number 6 wrote:
07 May 2019, 23:43
Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:49
Number 6 wrote:
07 May 2019, 19:57
Cobra Kai on YouTube is still way better than it has any right to be. The guy who plays Johnny Lawrence actually learned to act at some point.
I'm just glad that my working theory about Daniel-son being an aggressive asshole has born fruit.
I am entertained by the use the show has made of the "Daniel was a bully" narrative.
Because there was no suspension of disbelief. Daniel-son was an aggressive asshole. Lawrence literally went out of his way to avoid conflict but Daniel-son just used those times to keep needling him. They were teenagers and the only one who tried to be a grownup was Lawrence. How much is a teenager supposed to take before they do the stupid teenager routine?
No doubt Daniel kept the conflict going when he didn't need to. At the same time, Lawrence and his brethren were pretty serious pricks. I do find Lawrence's character arc in this show interesting. Come to think of it, his character is the only one I'm really invested in.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 May 2019, 10:15

I have only watched an episode or two but Daniel-son being a car salesman was pretty awesome.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2019, 18:25

Dead to Me is soapy, but very good and entertaining for what it is. I recommend it!

Fair warning: it does deal with death of a spouse (and death of a parent when you are a kid), and with pregnancy loss, particularly in the first few episodes.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Jul 2019, 18:19

I'm very much enjoying Blown Away on Netflix. It's a glassblowing competition show and it's lovely.

Although I do laugh EVERY SINGLE TIME they say each artist has their own personal glory hole.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jul 2019, 19:43

Ellie wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:19
I'm very much enjoying Blown Away on Netflix. It's a glassblowing competition show and it's lovely.

Although I do laugh EVERY SINGLE TIME they say each artist has their own personal glory hole.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Jul 2019, 16:12

Tuca and bertie is a good show and I hope someone else picks it up.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Jul 2019, 18:49

Ellie wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:19

Agreed in full.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Aug 2019, 02:15

So who do we think Jerry was talking about in the Bridget Everett episode of Comedians in Cars that got him so worked up?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Aug 2019, 23:40

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 02:15
So who do we think Jerry was talking about in the Bridget Everett episode of Comedians in Cars that got him so worked up?
We don't know and we're very annoyed by that fact.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Aug 2019, 04:57

Those rat soup, eating honky motherfuckers pulled it off.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Sep 2019, 16:33

Two Paul Rudds seems like the right number of Paul Rudds.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Sep 2019, 12:37

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Oct 2019, 20:05

Recently watched the first two seasons of Dark. It's a German show that's kind of dark sci-fi, although that doesn't really describe it entirely. It's about time travel which usually isn't something I'm much into, but it does a lot of neat mind bendy things as it has a fairly unique version of time travel.

It is a mystery box kind of show but so far they've kept it together. I don't want to describe too much to avoid spoilers. There's a kind of an unseen oppressive* dread about everything that I dig. You'll want to pay careful attention to character names as different actors are used for older and younger versions. The show does a pretty good job of helping you sort through it but it helps to keep the names in mind.

The original is in German with subtitles but Netflix defaults to an English dub. So you'll have to manually set the language and subtitles in the show menu. I don't know if the English dub is any good as I haven't seen any of it.

*The cool intriguing kind of oppressive, not the I can't bare to watch this anymore kind.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Oct 2019, 15:02

1) Throw a dart at David Attenborough's filmography and you'll probably hit a series with birds of paradise. In fact he already dedicated a whole feature to them.

2) I hope the presentation in the actual documentary isn't as goofy as it is in the trailer.

3) otoh, "Narrated by Stephen Fry" makes it kinda hard to pass up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Oct 2019, 15:36

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 15:02
3) otoh, "Narrated by Stephen Fry" makes it kinda hard to pass up.
Actually, I'm getting a little tired of his goofy smugness. Given that I've seen at least two of Attenborough's B of P sequences, it's kind of easy to pass up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Oct 2019, 13:21

Things are going great over here, why do you ask?
For the second time this year, Netflix is offering $2 billion in debt to fund its investment in content, including original programming, content acquisitions, investments, and more. The news was announced on Monday morning, and was followed by a slight dip in Netflix’s stock price.

The decision to increase its investment in content production follows Netflix’s well-received earnings beat last week, when it reported revenues of $5.24 billion versus the $5.25 billion expected, and EPS of $1.47 versus the $1.07 expected. Despite missing on subscriber numbers in Q3, Netflix’s stock quickly surged on the news.

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Oct 2019, 13:38

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Nov 2019, 10:03

Painboy wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 20:05
Recently watched the first two seasons of Dark. It's a German show that's kind of dark sci-fi, although that doesn't really describe it entirely. It's about time travel which usually isn't something I'm much into, but it does a lot of neat mind bendy things as it has a fairly unique version of time travel.

It is a mystery box kind of show but so far they've kept it together. I don't want to describe too much to avoid spoilers. There's a kind of an unseen oppressive* dread about everything that I dig. You'll want to pay careful attention to character names as different actors are used for older and younger versions. The show does a pretty good job of helping you sort through it but it helps to keep the names in mind.

The original is in German with subtitles but Netflix defaults to an English dub. So you'll have to manually set the language and subtitles in the show menu. I don't know if the English dub is any good as I haven't seen any of it.

*The cool intriguing kind of oppressive, not the I can't bare to watch this anymore kind.
Yeah, big fan of Dark.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2019, 12:28

Actually, I think it was on Amazon Prime, but last night I watched a documentary about someone hiking something called the Hayduke Trail in Utah and Arizona and never before in my life had I so thoroughly realized (sorry Andrew and others who enjoy trail hiking) how completely absurd I find the idea of doing something like that.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Nov 2019, 15:55

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 12:28
Actually, I think it was on Amazon Prime, but last night I watched a documentary about someone hiking something called the Hayduke Trail in Utah and Arizona and never before in my life had I so thoroughly realized (sorry Andrew and others who enjoy trail hiking) how completely absurd I find the idea of doing something like that.
How was the photography of the scenery? I've heard about that documentary, but really the only reason I'd watch it would be the pretty places. I assume it has lots of hikers talking about hiking, and that's boring/insufferable.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2019, 19:35

Andrew wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 15:55
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 12:28
How was the photography of the scenery? I've heard about that documentary, but really the only reason I'd watch it would be the pretty places. I assume it has lots of hikers talking about hiking, and that's boring/insufferable.
The photography is good, although as someone who has sensibly driven through much of that area I'll say what you already know; namely, that it mostly fails to capture the real experience of seeing it. Really, it's pretty much just a single hiker with a few friends who join him at various legs of the hike and he's not insufferable but, yeah, hikers talking about hiking while they're hiking isn't exactly scintillating, either.