To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Post by Ellie » 07 Aug 2018, 18:26

I've noticed Netflix changing out thumbnails frequently, especially (but not always) for their original shows. (I, um, probably spend too much time browsing streaming sites. I'm in a permanent showhole lately.) Often even for shows I've already watched or at least clicked on.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 07 Aug 2018, 19:26

I've noticed the thumbnails changing almost on a once or twice a week basis for somethings. It's actually kind of frustrating when you are trying to locate something in your queue based on an image that it no longer possesses. I don't know about the different accounts/different thumbnails thing but I noticed this rapid image changing starting to occur about 4-5 months ago.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2018, 17:43

Jennifer wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 17:54
Wow. Here's a fascinating (but somewhat disturbing) Cracked article by "David Wong" showing the very different ways Netflix markets identical shows, based on the different thumbnails that appear for his or his wife's accounts.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-alarmin ... ur-tastes/
Marketing has been segmented and tuned to target audiences for longer than any of us have been alive. Different ads in different magazines, different commercials on different TV and radio stations and different times of day, etc. Here, the segmentation just happens to be easy to notice with a swap of user.

Apparently, they use several potential thumbnails for each show, and they try to pick which of the available thumbnails will most appeal to the current viewer based on past picks. The writer there doesn't say, but each image is probably tagged with descriptors like "woman", "face", "one person", etc. The algorithm basically goes "Woman", "face", "tight clothing", and these other tags show up most often on the thumbnails this user clicks. So, show thumbnails that match as many of those tags as possible.. It's clever, but it's not all that creepy.
But on mine? "Well, what do we have here, Mr. Wong? Why, it's a completely nude woman alone in the woods! I bet something terrible is going to happen to that completely nude woman, on camera, while you watch. [Will Graham voice from Manhunter] You like to watch them, don't you, you sick son of a bitch?"
I...what? It's a picture of an apparently-nude woman who looks to be standing comfortably and undistressed in some tall grass. The lighting is vaguely spooky or mysterious. That combined with the wolf/dog image makes me think "spooky woods, magic afoot, maybe the wolf is the woman, or vice versa, depending on degree of cheesiness". Until I look up the show, at least. Ah, the French.

I'd be inclined to say maybe he is a sick SOB or else he's just interpreting the thumbnail based on the fact that it's actually a fucked-up crime drama (with white wolves). But, then I look at the supposedly-harmless wife's-account thumbnail for Glitch, and it's pretty comparable to that image. (If anything, it looks more ominous than the Forest image. Someone alone in the water, face not visible, is never a good thing in media; I'd pretty much guess straight off that someone drowns in the story.)

I miss Cracked's heyday, before they fired all the good writers.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Aug 2018, 19:45

Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 17:43
I...what? It's a picture of an apparently-nude woman who looks to be standing comfortably and undistressed in some tall grass. The lighting is vaguely spooky or mysterious. That combined with the wolf/dog image makes me think "spooky woods, magic afoot, maybe the wolf is the woman, or vice versa, depending on degree of cheesiness". Until I look up the show, at least. Ah, the French.

Were that the only such example, I'd just think he was making a joke about it. But the combination of all the different thumbnails -- she gets the thumbnails showing women from the show being happy and confident with their friends, he gets the lone woman looking anxious or scared or just-beaten-up... yeah, that is odd.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Aug 2018, 20:15

Jennifer wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 19:45
Eric the .5b wrote:

Were that the only such example, I'd just think he was making a joke about it. But the combination of all the different thumbnails -- she gets the thumbnails showing women from the show being happy and confident with their friends, he gets the lone woman looking anxious or scared or just-beaten-up... yeah, that is odd.
I'd have to see a much larger range to get weirded out. I mean he could have gone through a hundred of these things and picked out the worst ones to make it look a certain way.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Aug 2018, 20:17

Jennifer wrote:
But the combination of all the different thumbnails -- she gets the thumbnails showing women from the show being happy and confident with their friends, he gets the lone woman looking anxious or scared or just-beaten-up... yeah, that is odd.
She gets plenty of lone women (OitNB, Quantico, whatever the one was with the woman in the lake, plus "The Returned" just looks ominous to me and not all romantic like he claims) and he says himself he's a "professional horror guy" so Netflix isn't stretching too far to think thumbnails that look more like slasher films might be up his alley.

There's targeted marketing going on, of course, but he's reaching for this creepy / sexist thing that isn't borne out with his examples. Especially because, as mentioned in this thread, Netflix is always swapping thumbnails for the same user. If he'd showed three or four thumbnails for the same title that had happy congenial women on his wife's account and BOOBIES on his account, I'd think he had more of a point.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2018, 21:41

Jennifer wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
It's a really low count of examples, especially given Netflix personalizes for all thumbnails. I'd be more concerned about the cheerful thumbnails shown to his wife for crime dramas and horror shows.

Not to mention one of the example is Hers is creepy, mine is creepy and shows a face. Dude's trying too hard.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » Yesterday, 18:44

Well at least the klezmer theme song for Disenchanted is pretty good.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Yesterday, 20:13

Amazon rather than Netflix, but per DAR's recommendation, I've started on the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It's damn good.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul