The Rock Hopper Complaint Dept (Expanse spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

The Rock Hopper Complaint Dept (Expanse spoilers)

Post by Kolohe »

...is right there through that airlock.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but I have some gripes

1) Their habit of basically starting a new season in the middle of the season.

2) The characterizations of the Big Bad Earthers, i.e. Mao and Errinwright - are downright terrrible. Especially Errinwright. He's all emo when Eros is about to hit earth, then does a sharp turn and becomes cold and ruthless again. But depsite having a large corporation and key members of the military in his pocket, is able to get taken down through a single skype call? Without any sort of clash of arms?

3) (heh, there's a ring around Uranus)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Re: The Rock Hopper Complaint Dept (Expanse spoilers)

Post by JasonL »

Errinwright is terrible and the most annoying thing about the show is that he is somehow persuasive in spite of being transparently moustachetwirly.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Errinwright didn't bother me that much. I actually dug his swan song "He's only saying that because he talked to you last". Nice one, simultaneously scathing yet subtly topical. Okay maybe not that subtle.
New season in the middle of the season is a bit jarring, but not that off-putting.
I like that "artificial gravity" isn't a thing, but it does take me out of it when it isn't zero-g when it should be zero-g. Sound traveling through vacuum is nails on chalkboard.

My biggest complaint is the amount of leisure time high ranking people have and the way anybody can just walk in on them whenever.

I liked Miller's character. Not sure I'm going to like his return.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Miller was the only character I found sufficiently interesting to carry the first season and a half. I welcome his return. The poor man's Firefly / Dark Matter has always struck me as The Young and The Restless in Space. There hasn't been enough coverage of the Belt since Mars and Earth went at it, but the scariest thing of all is the thought that the UN might actually be ruling the Earth.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I'm not excited about moving from the interesting people (Miller) and places (Ceres, shipboard scenes) to... Boring Future Earth. There's not a lot of interest to me unless we get into the nitty-gritty of how UN controls the Earthbound population.

Relevant aside: the best entrée to a Known Space teleseries (Including Ringworld et. al.) would be the Gil 'The Arm' Hamilton detective stories. Chasing organ-leggers, unlicensed tech, and good old fashioned murder, using logic and a psychic limb.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Kolohe wrote:
29 May 2018, 09:12
2) The characterizations of the Big Bad Earthers, i.e. Mao and Errinwright - are downright terrrible. Especially Errinwright. He's all emo when Eros is about to hit earth, then does a sharp turn and becomes cold and ruthless again. But depsite having a large corporation and key members of the military in his pocket, is able to get taken down through a single skype call? Without any sort of clash of arms?
That's not surprising as my biggest gripe from the books is it's generally unconvincing villains. A lot of that was covered up by not getting too close to them and keeping most bad guys at a blurry distance. The events that they touch off being the interesting things. Their motivations not so much.

With the show you have to have a face to put on things since you can't just dump 20 pages of event descriptions and expostion on the viewers. This leads to a lot of heavy lifting by certain characters on the show.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Ok I just saw that episode. I'm annoyed. It was a bad episode period. The writing seemed different too. Was there a change?

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

JasonL wrote:
30 May 2018, 09:27
Ok I just saw that episode. I'm annoyed. It was a bad episode period. The writing seemed different too. Was there a change?
Which episode was that?

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Painboy wrote:
30 May 2018, 21:38
JasonL wrote:
Which episode was that?
Episode 7 with all the new plot and the big ring and such.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
30 May 2018, 22:11
Painboy wrote:
30 May 2018, 21:38
JasonL wrote:
Which episode was that?
Episode 7 with all the new plot and the big ring and such.
I found it a bit jarring, but not bad. Indeed, now for the first time the proto-molocule is something more than Magic Mystery Goo. I'm really interested in finding out what the ring is. I have a couple theories.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

Well now this week just sucked ass *sigh*

If you're sleep deprived and think you might be hallucinating, you should:

A Go lie down and take a nap.
B Make a cup of Camomile tea and go lie down.
C Seek advise from someone you trust and go lie down.
D Chug coffee and goad everyone onto a radical and risky path because you alone know what to do.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Despite hearing great things about it every time I read a description it sounded like model UN in space so I found it hard to start. Then I woke up at 3 am a couple days ago and around 4 I'm like fuck it and got up and started binging. Just finished first two seasons. I can report that watching 17 hours of tv in 2 days is hell on the back.

Kept waiting for Tom-Waits-in-space to break out into Christmas Card from a Hooker on Ceres.

Has occasional stupid nonsense but I felt like it didn't start to accumulate to toxic levels until near the end of the 2nd season. There should be a metric that can be used like rotten tomatoes, based on a ratio of how many "oh, come on"s are said per unit of time.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Up until the confusing scene at the end I thought this latest one was really good. Overall this season has been much better than the earlier ones and I think they are hitting their stride.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Warren wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 20:44
Well now this week just sucked ass *sigh*

If you're sleep deprived and think you might be hallucinating, you should:

A Go lie down and take a nap.
B Make a cup of Camomile tea and go lie down.
C Seek advise from someone you trust and go lie down.
D Chug coffee and goad everyone onto a radical and risky path because you alone know what to do.
counterpoint - when you have missiles inbound because you just became Space Osama Bin Ladin (and set up from an inside job) you don't have time to hit the galley and then lie down.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Lol Mao.

I wonder if either Tiffany Trump or a lesser Kardassian could get away in working the North Dakota oil patch without being recognized. (Probably?)

I hope this was the last 'previous on' that starts with that guy's head doing the windshield bug thing.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 12:06
I hope this was the last 'previous on' that starts with that guy's head doing the windshield bug thing.
I hope so too, but I doubt it.

So if there's Alien-Miller there could be Alien-Julie. So that leaves open the possibility of Melba/Julie lesbian alien incest.
What? Oh don't look at me like that. You just wish you thought of it first.

I like that Bleeding Heart Anna is a total selfish douchebag to her family.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Season 4 premiere date is set. Who the hell knows what's going on in this trailer but who cares we get more Expanse, fuck yeah.

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I'm guessing the setting is a preliminary colony or even just outpost on a planet in one of the other stellar systems linked by the hub. And Torchwood guy has either gone nuts, is infected by the thing that the hub was defending against, or is just a coldblooded motherfucker who's pullin' some shit, which may or may not be an attempt to protect H. sapiens from the thing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I had no idea that the guy who plays the sidekick executive to Gary Marshall in A League of the Their Own is the big cheese Belter jefe in the later seasons.