Bosch (including season 4 spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Bosch (including season 4 spoilers)

Post by Ellie » 15 Apr 2018, 21:28

Seriously, spoilers.

Okay, I just got past the episode where his ex-wife gets killed. I'm really annoyed. It feels like a very stale and tired thing to happen. Geez, he hadn't even finished solving his mother's murder and now this one (which of course happens dramatically right in front of him.) And if it's going to be remotely realistic, it's going to bring the rest of the season to a screeching halt as he focuses on helping his daughter whose mother, you know, was just brutally murdered.

And it annoys me especially because the main mystery of the show, with aspects of police brutality and cops investigating cops, was really fresh and interesting, and now it's either going to be (a) a sideline while Titus Welliver mopes around or (b) feel distracting because I'm going to be constantly thinking "shouldn't you be at home with your daughter / making funeral arrangements / dealing with life insurance paperwork instead of toodling around with J Edgar?"
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Bosch (including season 4 spoilers)

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Apr 2018, 21:55

I don't know what you'd consider a successful resolution of those points now that the deed is done. On his best day, Bosch isn't exactly touchy-feely, but the rest of the series does pay attention to both the business and the psychology of the murder of his ex-wife as well as the primary story arc. Resolution of the secondary story arc, otoh, that is, the bicycle bandit, is so ex rectum it's laughable. As for having solved the murder of his mother, well ... complications arise.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Apr 2018, 01:54

That sounds promising. I am feeling more optimistic now.

I really like Bosch's house. Every time there's a night scene there, I think about how I would never ever ever want to live in L.A. -- except maybe if I had that view.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Apr 2018, 15:02

Just finished the season. I was very pleasantly surprised by how they balanced the main plotline and the grieving process. I was sure it would tip too far into one or the other. Hooray!

I did think that the resolution of the main murder was kind of lazy. Walker pulled the trigger himself (bleh) and then told other people he did (hrm) and it was all because he's a developer who needs money (zzzzz). It was just so pedestrian, and ended up having nothing to do with the victim being someone who prosecutes cops. The show had a chance to engage with something really timely and morally complex, and they ended up pulling back in the end and punting. See also, how the wily police put one over on those rabble-rousing protesters. Ugh.

I'm glad the actress who plays Maddie is 18 now so I can ogle her without being a COMPLETE perv.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Apr 2018, 21:18

Oh, I forgot to mention that I think the bike killer resolution was indeed laughable, although it adds support to my claim that I've been making since season 1: Crate and Barrel are the real heroes of the show. ;) Did they ever explain at all why some dude was riding around on a bike stealing phones and shooting people? I may well have missed it.