Sartorial Steppin' Up

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: Sartorial Steppin' Up

Post by Jadagul » 06 Mar 2018, 17:27

Jake wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:23
lunchstealer wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:47
Just be sure not to wash them ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... ly-have-to
It looks like I just found a sartorial line in the sand!

Sure, maybe jeans really do last longer without washing, but the monetary cost is beside the fucking point when compared to the thought of wandering about in crotch-grease trousers. And I don't care how "authentic" that guy is about his denim, I don't believe for a second that airing plus his magic spray bottle is equivalent to a good wash.

"Overpowered" is not "clean". Hundreds of thousands of teen boys saturated with Axe body spray stand in mute -- but eye-watering -- testament to the difference.
Denim is pretty resistant to, well, everything, so you actually don't really need to wash jeans very much. I've heard once every six months as a rule of thumb, but that's pretty arbitrary.

But of course if you'll be happier having washed them, go for it.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Mar 2018, 17:48

Once every six months ?!?!?!?! I don't even shower on a regular basis and I find that horrifying. Denim might be resistant to a lot of things, but in my experience, general stank is not one of them.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Mar 2018, 18:12

Ellie wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:48
Once every six months ?!?!?!?! I don't even shower on a regular basis and I find that horrifying. Denim might be resistant to a lot of things, but in my experience, general stank is not one of them.
Raw denim (generally) actually is. From what I recall, the experiment says that it actually doesn't get any dirtier after about two weeks---it's resistant to bacterial growth so stank doesn't actually develop.

I don't know how different this is for jeans with blends of various other fabrics and strechy fabric and stuff. But I've never had a problem with my pure-denim jeans.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Mar 2018, 18:19

Jadagul wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:12
Ellie wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:48
Raw denim (generally) actually is. From what I recall, the experiment says that it actually doesn't get any dirtier after about two weeks---it's resistant to bacterial growth so stank doesn't actually develop.
Oh, so you're only ever as dirty as someone who's been living in the same clothes for two weeks. That's encouraging.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2018, 18:48

I have some expensive digital audio cables that I think these raw denim people would be interested in.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Mar 2018, 20:59

Shit... I'm about to agree with Jadagul.

I have a pair of jeans that I've owned for 16 months and I've only washed twice. I wear them once or twice a week (never on back to back days) and always air dry them after. I wear them for work or casual outings, not hard labor, and I've never had them develop an odor.

I now do that with all my jeans, and they're not raw denim or anything fancy.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Mar 2018, 21:59

I don't worry about how my jeans smell. I wash them because after wearing them a certain number of days they just feel gross. Maybe I'm just sensitive to my own body oil but after about 4 days of wearing them, even split over a couple weeks, I feel like I'm wearing oily rags. Same thing happens with my shirts even when I wear an undershirt. It's especially gross around the collar.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Mar 2018, 22:27

I’m about 6-8 uses of denim between washing. They get itchy. Dress shirts with sweat blocker undershirts can go up to 3 times. Chinos go about twice because they look like shit rumpled.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 23:06

Team Jason. Also, someone should tell the denim I just washed that it can’t get stink. Just try leaving it wet for too long and see if denim magic works.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 Mar 2018, 10:16

My personal feelings are irrelevant. If I tried not washing my jeans for any period of time, the laundry nazi I live with would have a fit. She would physically remove the jeans from my body in order to wash them. I don’t need that.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Mar 2018, 10:38

tr0g wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 10:16
She would physically remove the jeans from my body in order to wash them. I don’t need that.
I dunno, that sounds kind of hot.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Mar 2018, 12:29

I'm on the JasonL rotation.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Mar 2018, 00:03

You're a libertarian, the jeans are your property, wash them every day or not at all or any interval in between. Buy a new pair and toss out the old pair whenever you think the time is right. Rinse. Repeat.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Mar 2018, 10:48

I asked my wife, who is a professional tailor who works with many fabrics and many different clients, for her opinion on this matter. Apparently, the idea that denim has some kind of magic antibacterial property is bullshit, and a lot of people think their jeans aren't dirty when they are, and eww, you're gross, and if you bring your fuckin' nasty-ass jeans into her shop, she ain't touchin' them and you better take them somewhere else. That's more or less a direct quote...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Mar 2018, 11:21

Shoe Guys: If I wanted to buy a pair of mid-high end shoes to restore/fix up and wear, what names should I look for? I've heard Allen Edmonds for instance...

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2018, 11:48

Allen Edmonds is the base model of American goodyear welted decent shoe. I wish they fit me better but I have a couple of pairs and can reccommend. AE has a factory outlet online called shoe bank: https://www.shoebank.com/

I can also suggest at a comparable price point Grenson of England. They have 3 tiers of shoe, the G2 is the $300 ish more affordable one close to allen edmonds. My good brown dress shoes are Grenson G2 and they look flawless after 5 years so far.

I have a pair of Aldens, which are the best of the American made leather, priced somewhat north of AE.

If you follow Put This On, they have ebay filters built in to scan for "good shoes". This would be a good way to see what you can find second hand: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/93 ... rmvSB=true

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Mar 2018, 12:20

Shoebank is consistently good deals on seconds, which have flaws generally so minor you have to go seek them out. But if you can try some one first that will be extremely helpful.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Mar 2018, 12:33

dhex wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:20
Shoebank is consistently good deals on seconds, which have flaws generally so minor you have to go seek them out. But if you can try some one first that will be extremely helpful.
I imagine so. I've had Allen Edmonds on my list, but my feet ache at the idea of buying shoes untried.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2018, 13:34

AE lasts seem to pinch me in at the widest point of the toe box, but if I go up a width it's clown shoes. I have some and I like the value esp on sale but I wish they fit better.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Mar 2018, 14:09

Cool thanks.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Mar 2018, 15:56

Allen Edmonds has a factory outlet in Freeport because of course they do, so I'll go try on a few pairs.

Edit they closed, bummer.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Mar 2018, 16:45

Alden is the top of the line for American made shoes. Short of custom made shoes, Church's is probably the best English shoe company, though their sizing tends to be a bit too narrow.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Mar 2018, 17:24

Perhaps this is a market failure! thing, but it seems to be a universal complaint that most shoes are too narrow. How is this still the case? Who has these super narrow feet that are perfectly satisfied with shoes made by Chinese footbinders?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Mar 2018, 18:48

Andrew wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 17:24
Perhaps this is a market failure! thing, but it seems to be a universal complaint that most shoes are too narrow. How is this still the case? Who has these super narrow feet that are perfectly satisfied with shoes made by Chinese footbinders?
I mean, shoes are always going to be either too narrow or too short. (Because they have sizes and if your shoes are neither of those things you can go down a size, and we're not talking about cases where they're perfectly suited to your feet, which will always be a minority).

My guess: shoes that are slightly too narrow are kind of uncomfortable, whereas shoes that are too short are basically unwearable. So people err towards the former.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Mar 2018, 20:00

Not to mention your two feet are not, themselves, the same size.

I have a pair of Church's wingtip shoes that I've had for over 30 years but that were a bit too narrow so I didn't wear them very often until I went to an upscale shoe repair shop (well, a shoe repair shop in a very upscale area) and they managed to widen them. They're quite comfortable now. But now I rarely have any reason to wear dress shoes.