Sartorial Steppin' Up

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kwix

Re: Sartorial Steppin' Up

Post by Kwix » 28 Feb 2018, 20:37

Jake wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 16:09
So to synthesize the advice I've gotten so far in this thread into a blueprint for my ultimate stylish outfit:

(Starting from the feet and working upward)
  • Leather casual shoes
  • Patterned socks in navy blue
  • Khaki chinos from thrift store
  • Leather belt that matches the shoes
  • Light blue Oxford shirt, untucked
  • Suspenders
  • Charles Tyrwhitt chainmail hauberk
  • White linen pocket square
  • "Coexist" neck tattoo
I'm feeling good about my new look! 8-)
Perfect! Just stay away from the Van Heusen great helm and you'll be fine. Go for a bespoke Sutton Hoo model.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Feb 2018, 21:56

Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 20:30
Jadagul wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:33
I have shown up to casual social gatherings in a full white linen suit several times. But I did that fully knowing that this was not a neutral choice.
At times, I'm tempted to go full Bond-villain-on-casual-day and just wear loose white linen through the warm months.

Those times are usually the warm months.

Somewhere between that and a full dashiki.
Loose white linen is lovely summer wear and not particularly a statement piece.

The full white suit with white dress shoes makes a statement.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Feb 2018, 22:30

Jadagul wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:56

I think dressing completely in loose white linen and some comfy white shoes would make a statement, at least compared to t-shirt, shorts, and plastic sandals.

Not as snazzy a statement as a suit, naturally.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Feb 2018, 22:32

Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 22:30
Jadagul wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:56

I think dressing completely in loose white linen and some comfy white shoes would make a statement, at least compared to t-shirt, shorts, and plastic sandals.

Not as snazzy a statement as a suit, naturally.
Oh. I was thinking "instead of the cotton dress shirts and slacks everyone else is wearing," not "instead of a t-shirt and shorts." You're right that when I show up to a pool party in linen shirt and trousers and boat shoes, this also registers as a statement.

But the white linen suit registers as a statement even when everyone else is wearing suits.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Feb 2018, 22:44

Jadagul wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 22:32
Oh. I was thinking "instead of the cotton dress shirts and slacks everyone else is wearing," not "instead of a t-shirt and shorts." You're right that when I show up to a pool party in linen shirt and trousers and boat shoes, this also registers as a statement.
Ha! Yes, I drive a Prius, but I live in the world of east Texan suburban middle- and lower-middle-class life.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 01 Mar 2018, 17:03

Nice pair of jeans, a flannel and a pair of Xtra Tuffs. Belt if desired.
Fashion sorted.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 04 Mar 2018, 21:51

First, watch this clip:

Second, guess what sort of socks I've purchased?
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Mar 2018, 14:06

JasonL wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 16:17
No pleats in either your chinos or your hauberk!
This is, penultimately, the important thing for you to take away from this thread, after you take my sage advice below.

Jake, I made a thread like this a while ago, because I had to go from working in Carhartts and Hanes tshirts to whatever it is that adults wear. I feel you. My dad was a woodworker, my mom was the college educated professional in our family, so and we grew up around crunchy tree huggers in a rural area. People wear hiking boots as 'semi casual leather shoes' for 8 months a year.

This is what I did. I looked at how adult men used to dress everyday pre-1965. Shoes, pants, shirt, jacket/coat.

- Slacks or suit pants, grey, different grey, brown or dark . Khaki is no man's friend.

(DC types do a 'Khakis, loafers, dark blue blazer' look that you could use when you officiate, but khaki pants make you look like a store manager at Staples. Especially with a polo shirt.)

- White, light blue, dark blue, lightly checked or striped dress or OCBD shirts. Cotton only unless you have a good reason. Wear a white undershirt with these, and pay for more than Hanes. A nicer fabric fits better and feels better.

- I only wear denim if I'm doing some kind of work. It's crap to exercise or move around in in, and takes enough effort to make dressy that I don't bother trying for dark denim business casual/dinner out kind of stuff. It's bulky and hot compared to slacks or khaki-type pants and doesn't fit certain body types well. I'd rather go to the park in sneakers and a retired pair of slacks than denim, these days.

- Socks: Anything but white. Blue, grey, or black socks to match my shirt or tie are easy, but I have a bunch of pairs of solid colors, some black and yellow Wu-Tang socks, some patterns that are really bold with muted colors, etc. I've been experimenting with mismatching two similar shades for fun, it gets compliments but ymmv.

- Brown/tan/natural colored Oxfords, and a similar black pair. Pay more than $100, read about leather ('Genuine leather' is not.) and how to polish them, then buy one quality polish for each pair (pay the extra $3 for better than Kiwi polish) and keep them in shape.

If you need an off road shoe to do stuff that the Oxford won't handle, try something like a Clark's desert boot. For activities where you would really exercise, wear sneakers or whatever is called for.

- Cargo shorts get *worse* if you put anything in the pockets. Just think about that.

If you want shorts, wear shorts. You don't need 4 extra pockets. If you think you do, what you need is a backpack or bag.

Basically, get dressed each day with easy to match, comfortable adult clothing, and if you need to deviate from that, you either add more (tie, jacket) to dress it up, or you should have activity-specific apparel which won't overlap. Just like wearing a button-down and Oxfords to play football is not appropriate, wearing shorts and a t-shirt to see the doctor isn't appropriate, and you shouldn't. And as a pillar of the community, you should be ready to be recognized any time you are out and about.

PS, Jason, that shirt is the most Jason shirt imaginable.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 14:21

Oh no it isn't. It's not the most jason shirt in my current rotation.

I have this one: https://www.blanklabel.com/shirts/casual/1407

And this one: https://www.blanklabel.com/shirts/transitional/1455

in addition to lightweight white oxford and mid weight grey oxford.

Jake

Post by Jake » 05 Mar 2018, 15:41

JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 14:21
Oh no it isn't. It's not the most jason shirt in my current rotation.

I have this one: https://www.blanklabel.com/shirts/casual/1407

And this one: https://www.blanklabel.com/shirts/transitional/1455

in addition to lightweight white oxford and mid weight grey oxford.
You're not kidding! I can't even look at the first one without my brain doing that "let's plaster over the blind spot" thing and editing in your head at the top of it.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 15:52

Does mental image look like this?
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG (442.75 KiB) Viewed 403 times

Jake

Post by Jake » 05 Mar 2018, 15:54

Dangerman wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 14:06
[...] take my sage advice below. [snip]
I've come to very similar conclusions, with minor alterations for personal style and the fact that I'm an XTL with size 14 shoes, which narrows my options somewhat.

My only real deviation from what you're suggesting is that I'm going to have a pair or two of dark denim pants, because it's Oregon. You know how Hawaiian shirts are appropriate business-wear in Hawaii? Well, here's how our last governor dressed (John Kitzhaber -- he's the guy on the left):

Western Oregon is full of liberals and hipsters, but Eastern Oregon is full of conservatives and cattlemen, and that's led to Governor Kitzhaber's outfit above having become the sort of exemplar of "Oregon formal". Seriously, that's what you wear to weddings on that side. If I don't don some denim with my sportcoat, I'll come across as far too stuffy and Californian-looking to be taken seriously in the eastern half of the state. (I swear to you that this is not the hyperbole that you might think it is.)

So I won't Kitzhaber it up all the time, but sometimes it's precisely what's called for.

Jake

Post by Jake » 05 Mar 2018, 15:55

JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 15:52
Mostly. Not the squinchy mouth, so much, but otherwise yes. :)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Mar 2018, 15:56

I notice that one of those shirts is in their "transitional" line. [insert transphobic joke here]

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Mar 2018, 16:01

JasonL, perfecting the duckface selfie...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 16:09

It's a useful organizational system for sartorially challenged dudes, though. Generally speaking casual is heavier materials like flannels in big check patterns designed to be worn untucked with denim or unfitted heavier khakis. Transitional is chinos or jeans, often button collars, what used to be friday casual wear. Also in tones that can be worn after hours to casual dinners etc. Dress shirts are non button collars in materials that a sleek and classic styled to go under suits and jackets. "normal" workday wear until a few years ago in finance. I almost never buy those anymore because I don't really wear wool pants or jacket that much anymore. We are full workplace casual every day now.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Mar 2018, 16:26

Highway wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 16:01
JasonL, perfecting the duckface selfie...
s/duck/churchlady/

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Mar 2018, 17:41

jake, shoebank.com is your friend if you need nice shoes in 14 and whatever width. won't have a ton of options but it'll be cheaper than allen edmonds directly.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2018, 10:05

JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 15:52
IMG_1534.JPG
OMG! Jason took a selfie.
What's the weather in hell?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Mar 2018, 10:08

Didn't realize the image would be quite that large ....

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Mar 2018, 10:14

I love the dots selfie
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 12:27

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:05
OMG! Jason took a selfie.
What's the weather in hell?
Clearly very chilly.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Mar 2018, 12:47

Jake wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 15:54
Dangerman wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 14:06
[...] take my sage advice below. [snip]
I've come to very similar conclusions, with minor alterations for personal style and the fact that I'm an XTL with size 14 shoes, which narrows my options somewhat.

My only real deviation from what you're suggesting is that I'm going to have a pair or two of dark denim pants, because it's Oregon. You know how Hawaiian shirts are appropriate business-wear in Hawaii? Well, here's how our last governor dressed (John Kitzhaber -- he's the guy on the left):

Western Oregon is full of liberals and hipsters, but Eastern Oregon is full of conservatives and cattlemen, and that's led to Governor Kitzhaber's outfit above having become the sort of exemplar of "Oregon formal". Seriously, that's what you wear to weddings on that side. If I don't don some denim with my sportcoat, I'll come across as far too stuffy and Californian-looking to be taken seriously in the eastern half of the state. (I swear to you that this is not the hyperbole that you might think it is.)

So I won't Kitzhaber it up all the time, but sometimes it's precisely what's called for.
Just be sure not to wash them ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... ly-have-to
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Mar 2018, 14:20

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:47
I see the Brits use the same approach to bedsheets.

Jake

Post by Jake » 06 Mar 2018, 17:23

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:47

It looks like I just found a sartorial line in the sand!

Sure, maybe jeans really do last longer without washing, but the monetary cost is beside the fucking point when compared to the thought of wandering about in crotch-grease trousers. And I don't care how "authentic" that guy is about his denim, I don't believe for a second that airing plus his magic spray bottle is equivalent to a good wash.

"Overpowered" is not "clean". Hundreds of thousands of teen boys saturated with Axe body spray stand in mute -- but eye-watering -- testament to the difference.