Sartorial Steppin' Up

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Sartorial Steppin' Up

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 21:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 16:45
Alden is the top of the line for American made shoes. Short of custom made shoes, Church's is probably the best English shoe company, though their sizing tends to be a bit too narrow.
I prefer Crockett and Jones over Church's and that's before taking into account the quality slide post-Prada acquisition. If you can find them, I'd go C&J over Church's or Allen Edmonds. I own a pair from all three and would definitely put C&J above the others in quality and styling.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Mar 2018, 22:00

Mo wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 21:48
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 16:45
Alden is the top of the line for American made shoes. Short of custom made shoes, Church's is probably the best English shoe company, though their sizing tends to be a bit too narrow.
I prefer Crockett and Jones over Church's and that's before taking into account the quality slide post-Prada acquisition. If you can find them, I'd go C&J over Church's or Allen Edmonds. I own a pair from all three and would definitely put C&J above the others in quality and styling.
Mo may well be right. I haven't bought dress shoes, after all, in over 20 years.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 22:29

My C&Js are currently on their 3rd sole. After I wore them after the most recent factory resoling, people asked me about my "new shoes". FWIW, factory resoling is the way to go, it's more expensive, but they do it on the original last, so it really does come out looking like new.

ETA: If you have big feet relative to your height, you may want to avoid C&Js because their trim Italianish cut tends to elongate your feet visually. Tricker's may be a better choice.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2018, 22:45

I have a pair of white Crockett and Tubbs that look sweet with my pastel suit over a wife beater. No socks natch

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Mar 2018, 09:15

A few years back I tried on some c+j shoes in nyc. Too sleek for my feet. Very very nice shoes tho.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Mar 2018, 11:38

Haven’t tried them but from the pics the toe box be too slim for me as well.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Mar 2018, 12:28

JasonL wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 22:45
I have a pair of white Crockett and Tubbs that look sweet with my pastel suit over a wife beater. No socks natch
What? No buckskin Crockett and Boones?