The Omnivore's 100

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2018, 06:52

Cheek meat on whole hog bbq nom nom

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Andrew » 13 Feb 2018, 07:18

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 00:28
Though, apparently, peanut butter is a strange and exotic thing to Europeans.
Pretty much the rest of the world, as I understand it. People I know who have lived in Japan and South America have said it's very difficult to find there.

Which means I can never live in any of those places. I might get sent to a camp here, but at least I'll be eating a jar of PB as I go.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Feb 2018, 16:11

Andrew wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 07:18
Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 00:28
Though, apparently, peanut butter is a strange and exotic thing to Europeans.
Pretty much the rest of the world, as I understand it. People I know who have lived in Japan and South America have said it's very difficult to find there..
How does that work with Thai cooking,, though?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2018, 16:16

Don't think real deal thai uses peanut butter but blends peanuts with fish sauce and soy sauce and some sugar - maybe lime juice? Something like that. We use pb to make it because it produces a similar product.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Feb 2018, 17:01

Hmm.

Tangentially, I was at a Thai place when the old lady in charge offered me a durian dessert.

I tried it, but I couldn't get into it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22788
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2018, 17:47

I've known about durian since I was a little kid -- IIRC The Book of Lists mentioned durian as the smelliest fruit yet surprisingly tasty -- and for the past few years I've lived in places where durian fruits can be bought at certain local supermarkets, but I don't want to take a whole fruit home and actually work with it myself there, lest the stink contaminate things. If there were a place where I could try just a small piece which someone else took care of, I think I would. Unless it looked or smelled particularly nasty.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Sandy » 13 Feb 2018, 17:50

Jennifer wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 17:47
I've known about durian since I was a little kid -- IIRC The Book of Lists mentioned durian as the smelliest fruit yet surprisingly tasty -- and for the past few years I've lived in places where durian fruits can be bought at certain local supermarkets, but I don't want to take a whole fruit home and actually work with it myself there, lest the stink contaminate things. If there were a place where I could try just a small piece which someone else took care of, I think I would. Unless it looked or smelled particularly nasty.
It smells mildly nasty (to me). Tastes fine (to me). OTOH, some people just hate it, and you're not allowed to eat it on public transportation in some places. If you get one, just go to a picnic table with a knife or something and have some wet-wipes handy.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6789
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Jadagul » 13 Feb 2018, 21:00

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 00:28
Kwix wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 19:59
Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 19:52
This mix is a bizarre mix of absolutely humdrum stuff, unusual items, and "Oh, fuck you."
What I find fascinating about it is that it's British. So presumably the Indian and Continental stuff would be more readily accessible and things like "Root Beer Float" and "Hot Dog from a Cart" may be exotic.

I mean, can you imagine a guy who's had horse vindaloo but not a pack of Donettes?
Not to mention a PB&J sandwich.

Though, apparently, peanut butter is a strange and exotic thing to Europeans.
When I was in England they didn't find the idea of peanut butter that weird, but they did find the PB&J very strange.

Several months into our relationship, my talented-cook girlfriend said, "Okay, I have to ask you something. Is it true that Americans eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches?" With an expression of "please tell me this is some long-running prank."

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2018, 21:08

Durian is gross because of smell. Did it once in Bali.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Sandy » 14 Feb 2018, 02:37

It’s a less extreme version of Fugu. It’s generally not worth the cost for the benefit. But unlike Fugu, I think it’s a bit exaggerated.

But why do that when god made lychee?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22788
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Jennifer » 14 Feb 2018, 06:37

JasonL wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 21:08
Durian is gross because of smell. Did it once in Bali.
What did it taste like?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 14 Feb 2018, 06:56

Uh, I don’t know if there’s a comparable fruit. The flesh is super squishy almost slimy pods. Really ripe ones are eaten like custard with a spoon. It tasted like rotten fruit in the same way papaya can but stronger. I dunno how to describe it really.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23102
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Mo » 14 Feb 2018, 08:32

Sandy wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 02:37
It’s a less extreme version of Fugu. It’s generally not worth the cost for the benefit. But unlike Fugu, I think it’s a bit exaggerated.

But why do that when god made lychee?
I disagree that it's comparable to fugu. Normal Southeast Asians, like my Malaysian coworker, like it for non-Xtreme reasons.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 14 Feb 2018, 09:10

The best way to do it if you want the taste without the rotten smell is icecream. That's tolerable.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Sandy » 14 Feb 2018, 13:46

Mo wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 08:32
Sandy wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 02:37
It’s a less extreme version of Fugu. It’s generally not worth the cost for the benefit. But unlike Fugu, I think it’s a bit exaggerated.

But why do that when god made lychee?
I disagree that it's comparable to fugu. Normal Southeast Asians, like my Malaysian coworker, like it for non-Xtreme reasons.
Yeah, but those restrictions on eating it I mentioned were from Taiwan, IIRC. But for westerners, it's pretty much fugu with no real consequences. And the reward is far greater...just still not that great, IMO.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1522
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 14:29

In the category of "Fruits That Kill With Gravity" I really like jackfruit. It hits all of the right notes. Tropical, floral, texture is interesting but not slimy. Bonus: if you buy a whole one you can break out the machete to get into it.

If you don't like juicy fruit gum this is not the fruit for you.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 14 Feb 2018, 14:31

I co-sign lychees. Can’t remember jackfruit. I do remember dragonfruit, which was spendy but meh. Grey flesh seedy thing.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16067
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Feb 2018, 16:20

Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 14:29
In the category of "Fruits That Kill With Gravity" I really like jackfruit. It hits all of the right notes. Tropical, floral, texture is interesting but not slimy. Bonus: if you buy a whole one you can break out the machete to get into it.

If you don't like juicy fruit gum this is not the fruit for you.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14602
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2018, 16:23

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:20
Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 14:29
In the category of "Fruits That Kill With Gravity" I really like jackfruit. It hits all of the right notes. Tropical, floral, texture is interesting but not slimy. Bonus: if you buy a whole one you can break out the machete to get into it.

If you don't like juicy fruit gum this is not the fruit for you.
"What to Serve When the 101st Airborne Comes to Dinner."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 14 Feb 2018, 16:28

Isn't jackfruit the one you have to cook?

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1522
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Kwix » 14 Feb 2018, 16:54

JasonL wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:28
Isn't jackfruit the one you have to cook?
Nope. That's the equally deadly from a height "breadfruit".
Image
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22617
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by JasonL » 14 Feb 2018, 17:27

Man - need a doctorship in botanology to tell the difference!

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16067
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Feb 2018, 18:38

Same genus, so yeah literally. In fact, the name 'jackfruit' gets applied to 'breadfruit' sometimes. Or vice versa. Anyway, a bunch of closely related species are called jackfruit and breadfruit is in the same group of closely related species.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Feb 2018, 19:33

Kwix wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 14:29
In the category of "Fruits That Kill With Gravity" I really like jackfruit. It hits all of the right notes. Tropical, floral, texture is interesting but not slimy. Bonus: if you buy a whole one you can break out the machete to get into it.

If you don't like juicy fruit gum this is not the fruit for you.
OK, that's intriguing.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11531
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The Omnivore's 100

Post by Ellie » 14 Feb 2018, 20:15

I would like to try a mangosteen, after seeing Phil Rosenthal raving about them in the Bangkok episode of Somebody Feed Phil.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests