Mixed doubles curling and other stuff - Olympics thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Mixed doubles curling and other stuff - Olympics thread

Post by Mo » 08 Feb 2018, 10:09

Last Winter Olympics were too warm, now it's too cold. Seems pretty lame to have an outdoor sport that requires a 10 degree temperature range.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Re: Mixed doubles curling and other stuff - Olympics thread

Post by Highway » 08 Feb 2018, 10:49

I dunno that it requires it. It's just the diva performers whining about their equipment. Now it'll be about inequality in ski budget...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2018, 10:58

Highway wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 10:49
Now it'll be about inequality in ski budget...
Oh, shit, yes. There has been whining about the Winter Olympics being the 'white' Olympics for decades - and they're not talking about snow.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Feb 2018, 09:33

This is where I turn in my monocle and say we should hand the South Koreans over to the gulag if they want to play us like this.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Feb 2018, 10:09

Wait, it sounds like he didn't RSVP, so they gave up his seat. Doesn't seem bad. Or am I missing something?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Feb 2018, 10:18

Hard to say who's screwup it is that he didn't have a chair, but there's also the part where Kim is sitting between the UN inspector-general and the IOC chair. I mean it's bad that the North Koreans are there at all.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Feb 2018, 10:21

Mo wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:09
Wait, it sounds like he didn't RSVP, so they gave up his seat. Doesn't seem bad. Or am I missing something?
The story I'm getting is that he was late, but the SK's had him seated next to the NK official.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Feb 2018, 10:33

nicole wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:18
I mean it's bad that the North Koreans are there at all.
Maybe. Maybe not. SK is trying to avoid hostilities with NK. Their athletes marched together at the opening ceremonies.

From what I've seen over many years, no good comes from using the Olympics for political purposes. Yet it's pretty SOP. Political maneuvering frequently overshadows the athletic competition. But hey, if an athletic proxy war can substitute for an actual bombs and bullets war, so much the better.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Feb 2018, 10:40

My thought on NK at the Olympics is that there is a small cadre that is going home to NK after seeing how the rest of the world lives.

Of, course, they are part of the hockey team. If they come up against the Canadian team, they may go home to report that the rest of the world IS made up of inhuman monsters.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Feb 2018, 10:52

Warren wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:21
Mo wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:09
The story I'm getting is that he was late, but the SK's had him seated next to the NK official.
That was for viewing the opening ceremonies. He swapped seats with someone so he was about four seats away.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Feb 2018, 10:53

Warren wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:33
nicole wrote:
Maybe. Maybe not. SK is trying to avoid hostilities with NK. Their athletes marched together at the opening ceremonies.
Yeah I would say more "SK is trying to cozy up to NK because they're all a bunch of ethno-nationalists so fuck them."

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Feb 2018, 10:54

nicole wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:53
Warren wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:33
nicole wrote:
Yeah I would say more "SK is trying to cozy up to NK because they're all a bunch of ethno-nationalists so fuck them."
O'RLY?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Feb 2018, 12:43

I don't care what the temperature is or whether the Winter Olympics were invented so white people could win more medals or whether the North Koreans and South Koreans are dancing cheek to cheek. If it's possible to care less about the Winter Olympics than about the other Olympics, I do. I have nothing against the athletes and, sure, sometimes some of their feats are amazing and breathtaking, but the way it will all play out in the media will be a few human interest stories about athletes from other nations and then back to how many medals "we" win versus how many "they" win. That part is jingoistic nonsense and it shouldn't be encouraged.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Feb 2018, 13:11

eh, there are team sports and so a logical delimeter for the teams is nation-state. (like it is for the world cup) (which I'm thinking you don't like either)

What's annoying to me is that a nation that is banned is allowed to participate in team sports as a team, and not as the catch-all team like they have for refugees and other stateless folks.

(i.e. 'Olympic Athletes from Russia' should not be a team)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Feb 2018, 13:58

Kolohe wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 13:11
eh, there are team sports and so a logical delimeter for the teams is nation-state. (like it is for the world cup) (which I'm thinking you don't like either)
Two words: corporate sponsorship

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 09 Feb 2018, 15:03

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 13:58
Kolohe wrote:
I'm rooting for the Amazon.com team, then.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Feb 2018, 15:15

tr0g wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 15:03
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Their prime athletes can do the cross country skiing in two days or less. Otherwise, it's 3 to 5 business days.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Feb 2018, 18:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 15:15
tr0g wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 15:03
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Their prime athletes can do the cross country skiing in two days or less. Otherwise, it's 3 to 5 business days.
But you have to be home when they arrive, otherwise you have to go and pick them up.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Feb 2018, 18:19

Cross posted with currying-favor thread:

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Feb 2018, 22:24

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Feb 2018, 23:01

I realize that 90% of my disdain of figure skating was my younger self not distinguishing it from ice dancing, which is largely a bullshit sport.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2018, 23:11

Mo wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 23:01
I realize that 90% of my disdain of figure skating was my younger self not distinguishing it from ice dancing, which is largely a bullshit sport.
Make it "Five a Side, Full Contact Ice Dancing" and I might watch.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Feb 2018, 00:43

Aresen wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 23:11
Mo wrote:
And the man in the back said, "Everyone attack!"
And it turned into a ballroom blitz...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Feb 2018, 00:57

Eric the .5b wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 00:43
Aresen wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 23:11
Mo wrote:
And the man in the back said, "Everyone attack!"
And it turned into a ballroom blitz...
Thank you for the belly-laugh. :lol:

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Feb 2018, 11:05

I dunno that Ice Dancing is all that different from any other figure skating now, just focused more on overall artistic presentation and synchronization than outright jumping. They don't have the compulsory dance anymore, although the rules for the "rhythm style" that they're supposed to use are so loose as to be just about non-existent.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."