Simple Pleasures

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Simple Pleasures

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 12:02

The little comforts to be found trudging through this vale of tears.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Re: Simple Pleasures

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 12:03

Blue Diamond artisan chips are the market.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Jan 2018, 14:13

Having time to read to myself to actually read the gryll.

Edit: awful. Just awful. Phone autocorrect makes no sense
Last edited by Pham Nuwen on 13 Jan 2018, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Jan 2018, 14:14

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 14:13
Having time to myself to actually read the gryll.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2018, 15:00

Odd synchronicity with this topic, as just a couple days ago (while getting over a fever AND taking way more prescription meds than I've ever been on in my life, which doubtless affected my thinking in weird and not-fun ways) I was thinking how many of my "simple pleasures" (in the sense of being super-easy and inexpensive in our society) would've been impossible or impossibly expensive luxuries through most of history.

Ice water: for all the many delicious beverages available to drink, my favorite one is cold clear ice water with ice sufficient for the drink to be barely one degree above the freezing point. (It's not that I dislike fizzy drinks, fruit juices or things of that nature; it's just that as soon as the fizz starts to flatten, or the icy-cold drink starts to get warm or watered down by melting ice, it becomes bleah. Ice water is of course the one drink that does not lose its flavor as the ice melts. The only way I'd truly enjoy drinking "flavored" cold drinks would be if I were rich and wasteful enough to, like, only ever drink that first sip of a fresh drink, then toss the rest.)

Super-cheap secondhand bookstores with giant selections: walk in with only a dollar or two burning a hole in your pocket, walk out with enough reading material for several days. (If you are among the tiny percentage of Americans lucky enough to be in proximity to a McKay's Used Books and CDs, for Zod's sake go there. There are a few McKay's stores in the northern Virginia region, and a few months ago Jeff discovered there are a few McKay's in major Tennessee cities including Chattanooga. The Tennessee and Virginia chains are identical in the sense of having pretty much the same layouts, pricing schemes, signage, fonts and all that jazz, but they are NOT connected in the sense that a store credit from Virginia works in Tennessee or vice-versa. My best guess is, maybe Mr. and Mrs. McKay got divorced and split up their used-book empire? At any rate, McKay's is where many/most books sell at "standard" secondhand prices, but you can also find older excellent-condition mass market paperbacks for as little as five or ten cents apiece.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 15:29

Finding out I created a thread with the same title two years ago.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 13 Jan 2018, 16:01

I'm obsessed with https://www.amazon.com/Leuchtturm1917-C ... XNZH4&th=1notebooks. I'll probably wind up with one in every color eventually. I use them to journal, with pretty markers. I try to write at least a little something down every day; most important to me, I try to do this DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) exercise "Three Moments," where you write down 3 Moments from the last 24 hours that you appreciate. Not that you're grateful for, just that you appreciated.

This is what my journaling usually looks like, which is a DBT, soothing exercise in and of itself, and sometimes it's the only thing gets me through the day.
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 198 times
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jan 2018, 16:04

Fried chicken. All types all price points all shapes.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 13 Jan 2018, 17:41

An hour of quiet time. Something about chilling to nothing reinvigorates me. Reading, meditation, whatever; without the distraction of music, television, or conversation.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 17:54

JasonL wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 16:04
SRSLY? KFC is gross.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2018, 18:09

One of my standard el cheapo lazy meals is a fried egg and cheese sandwich: two pieces of white Italian-bread toast, buttered and salted, with one egg fried in either melted butter or bacon fat (depending on what I have), and topped with a sprinkling of sharp shredded cheddar cheese. It is tasty, cheap, nutritious and filling under any circumstances, but I have an extra-special appreciation for it after acquiring a book of British World War Two food-rationing recipes and pamphlets, and realizing such a cheap simple meal would've been either outright impossible, or impossibly expensive (and requiring extensive black market connections) in those days: no white bread at all (only the wholegrain "National Loaf"), toasting bread was discouraged as a frivolous use of energy, and one fresh egg in shell was an entire week's ration for an adult. Also, while I don't actually measure the amounts of cheese, butter and/or bacon fat I use for these sandwiches, I'm sure a single sandwich contains an exorbitantly high fraction of a single week's ration.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jan 2018, 19:28

Warren wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 17:54
JasonL wrote:
SRSLY? KFC is gross.
A lot of the problem with this mostly true statement is that KFC is only not awesome because of what feels to be sloppy practice on the part of the stores. There's seemingly so much potential in the recipes that you want them to do a good job because it would be terrific done well. But the only place you can get KFC is at a KFC store where the floor is so slippery with grease that the zamboni comes out every 20 minutes, where the soda fountains have 3 kinds of Mountain Dew and those horrible 4-flavors-from-a-single-dispenser functions, where the sides are the absolute worst powdered mashed potatoes, tasteless mac and cheese, goopy cole slaw, and dried-out wedges, and where the chicken tastes just not-quite-good-enough to make you think "I'd come back here for the chicken even with all this other stuff."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 19:50

Highway wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 19:28
Warren wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 17:54
JasonL wrote:
SRSLY? KFC is gross.
A lot of the problem with this mostly true statement is that KFC is only not awesome because of what feels to be sloppy practice on the part of the stores. There's seemingly so much potential in the recipes that you want them to do a good job because it would be terrific done well. But the only place you can get KFC is at a KFC store where the floor is so slippery with grease that the zamboni comes out every 20 minutes, where the soda fountains have 3 kinds of Mountain Dew and those horrible 4-flavors-from-a-single-dispenser functions, where the sides are the absolute worst powdered mashed potatoes, tasteless mac and cheese, goopy cole slaw, and dried-out wedges, and where the chicken tastes just not-quite-good-enough to make you think "I'd come back here for the chicken even with all this other stuff."
Alright so check it...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jan 2018, 20:22

Which goes through pretty much exactly what I said. It's not that the food is fundamentally bad. It's that it's a horrible experience because of all of the other factors.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 20:48

Highway wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 20:22
Which goes through pretty much exactly what I said. It's not that the food is fundamentally bad. It's that it's a horrible experience because of all of the other factors.
That's what made me think of it. But I do think their chicken is a grease sponge now and it didn't use to be. So I would say the food is bad, but doesn't need to be.

And speaking of greasy chicken. Tonight I dined on Lee's Famous. Which is usually rates in the upper quartile for fast fired chicken. But due to the half hour delivery time (Mary picked it up on the way home and Lee's is half an hour away) by the time we ate it, it suffered greatly for the tepid grease having soaked through the fried exterior. Fortunately we had coleslaw to cut through that warm grease. Which made me think that these two comments are irreconcilable.
JasonL wrote:
JasonL wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 00:15
Vinegar slaw or gtfo
The coleslaw is absolutely essential to the enjoyment of fast fried chicken. Now I won't dispute that vinegar slaw is a superior grease cutter. However, that is not the slaw of choice and is simply not available from most bucket boutiques. If you're going to cop to drive through fried chicken Jason, you're going to have to fess up to mayo slaw.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jan 2018, 21:02

I like objectively bad fried chicken products.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jan 2018, 21:15

Cole slaw has nothing to do with enjoying fried chicken. I can enjoy fried chicken just fine without torturing myself with anything cold and slimy.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 21:30

Well okay then.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2018, 22:51

I used to love KFC original recipe until I moved here and one day decided to splurge on some and the branch nearest my house (in Leesburg, the nearest KFC to me was a couple towns over) , and everything was just wrong -- chicken was too dry, biscuits were kind of stale, corn on the cob was tough, everything sucked except the potatoes (which were only okay, not great). That franchise must be the one where bad fast food workers go after they die.

I haven't had KFC since. I might try some again if I'm in a better neighborhood. Maybe someplace touristy.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jan 2018, 23:45

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
SRSLY? KFC is gross.
It’s been ten years but yes this was my last experience there. It was foul. I’m not even sure it was fowl.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jan 2018, 23:54

Highway wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 21:15
Cole slaw has nothing to do with enjoying fried chicken. I can enjoy fried chicken just fine without torturing myself with anything cold and slimy.
This. Though the best KFC is Korean Fried Chicken. It is also the best fried chicken.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jan 2018, 09:00

Crunching into tiny salt crystals in good, aged cheese.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 16 Jan 2018, 09:10

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 12:35

Jasper wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 09:00
Crunching into tiny salt crystals in good, aged cheese.
Parrano is my fave for this. Gouda relative, but with distinct salt nuggets.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jan 2018, 18:53

After I got over the worst of my unusually debilitating cold/bronchial infection last week I wanted to do something useful but had almost no energy at all, so I completely gave both bathrooms and the linen closet badly needed re-organizations. (Actually that's not quite accurate; "re-organization" implies things were once organized, which they never really were.) Jeff and I both have scads of little bathroom items, of course - our various grooming tools, toiletries, cleansers etc. -- but everything was either scattered across the bathrooms' counters or stuffed in the bathroom counter drawers or under the sinks.

Meanwhile, I happened to have a selection of small plastic tabletop/countertop chests-of-drawers (the kind they sell in home-organizing or home-office sections), most of which I snagged from Jeff's mother's house back in the day because I figured sooner or later they'd come in handy even though I had no apparent use for them at the time.

Upon inspection it turned out a lot of the sprays/medicines/various things cluttering our bathroom (especially the bathroom's built-in wooden drawers, and under the sink) were old or outdated anyway -- the worst was a spray bottle of Bactine with an exp. date of 02/97 -- so just discarding a couple shopping bags' worth of unneeded junk felt remarkably liberating on its own. And even at my limited energy level I had no difficulty sitting down and tossing expired items in bags, sorting the remainders by type, and making and Scotch-taping little paper labels onto the plastic storage drawers. So now, instead of a bunch of little things scattered all over the one bathroom's countertop (all of it attracting dust and dirt, too), there are four compact plastic chest-of-drawer stacks totaling 18 drawers (plus two flat surfaces under hinged translucent plastic covers), each about 5.5 inches wide and 6.5 long, most with a label reading "Eye drops" or "Makeup" or "Tweezers/clippers/metal" or "Braun" (Jeff's electric shave stuff) or whatever. There is very little under the sink now except some heavy-duty household cleanser-type stuff, and only a couple of large rare-use items in the bathrooms' own built-in drawers. And there's still a couple of empty unlabeled plastic drawers for future use, too.

When I cleaned out the linen closet (which is where I'd been keeping many of the previously unused plastic mini-drawers) I also found the bullet that went through that door. It was in a semi-folded, semi-wadded bedsheet on a shelf. Didn't actually poke a hole in the sheet, but you can see where something seriously stressed the fabric in one spot--it looks like someone took a brooch pin with a very sharp and relatively wide pin-point, and almost but not quite poked it through the fabric a few times.

So the place has far more usable space, is much neater, and will be much simpler to keep clean now that you only need wipe off those four smallish drawer-boxes rather than the dozens of individual things now stashed away inside them.