Simple Pleasures

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Simple Pleasures

Post by Warren » 17 Jan 2018, 20:15

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:53
I completely gave both bathrooms and the linen closet badly needed re-organizations.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jan 2018, 22:16

Warren wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 20:15
Jennifer wrote:
I completely gave both bathrooms and the linen closet badly needed re-organizations.
Thanks! Organizing and re-organizing is actually one of the few household tasks I genuinely like doing, provided I have the right organizing equipment/furnishings and can do it however I see fit.

In the couple days since I did the initial re-org I keep refining it; think I'm done and then see another way to make it even better. All those incredibly useful plastic chests-of-drawers I've had all this while, and never took advantage of them.

I put some stacks with larger, wider drawers on the bathroom's built-in shelving unit, too, and labeled everything. Super-obvious stuff which should've been done a looong time ago -- like, it used to be our unused, still-wrapped extra toothbrushes were kept some in one bathroom, some in the other bathroom, and some in a plastic drawer in the linen closet--now they're all in a single large-ish plastic drawer labeled "Toothbrushes/Toothpaste." And that drawer is in the bathroom where we actually brush our teeth. Duh.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jan 2018, 00:29

You should label the unused drawers "Crack/Meth" and "Ruffies"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 18 Jan 2018, 14:20

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 22:16
Warren wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Thanks! Organizing and re-organizing is actually one of the few household tasks I genuinely like doing, provided I have the right organizing equipment/furnishings and can do it however I see fit.

In the couple days since I did the initial re-org I keep refining it; think I'm done and then see another way to make it even better. All those incredibly useful plastic chests-of-drawers I've had all this while, and never took advantage of them.

I put some stacks with larger, wider drawers on the bathroom's built-in shelving unit, too, and labeled everything. Super-obvious stuff which should've been done a looong time ago -- like, it used to be our unused, still-wrapped extra toothbrushes were kept some in one bathroom, some in the other bathroom, and some in a plastic drawer in the linen closet--now they're all in a single large-ish plastic drawer labeled "Toothbrushes/Toothpaste." And that drawer is in the bathroom where we actually brush our teeth. Duh.
Hmmm...how much would you charge to do ours?

I'm kidding...mostly.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2018, 19:24

Sandy wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 14:20
Jennifer wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 22:16
Warren wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Hmmm...how much would you charge to do ours?

I'm kidding...mostly.
If I still lived near your neck of the woods, I most likely would agree to do it. I really am good at it -- provided the goal is to neatly organize/cram as much stuff as possible, which is very different from, like, "things are arranged with flair." For me, the problem with organizing and keeping neat wasn't so much "Jeff and I didn't put things away" so much as "there was no actual place to put things." Now that I've taken the trouble to cull and sort everything, and make all those labels so you needn't play guessing games or try to remember the contents of over two dozen mostly identical drawers, to know where everything is and where everything goes, it's easy.

Naturally, it definitely helps if, like me, you just so happen to already have several dedicated storage units laying around your house-- as I mentioned, many were from Jeff's mother's house (and knowing her and her spending habits, I'm 99.9 percent positive she bought most of those various "Sterilite" drawer sets from Walmart, and maybe the two slightly fancier ones at Target), and IIRC a couple I bought a few years before that, at some overstock outlet selling them dirt cheap. A causal glance at walmart and Target's websites just now suggests if you duplicated my exact setup in the "main" bathroom, it would cost less than $80 for the drawer sets, and those are mostly the no-frills versions from Walmart; Target looks to have some nicer models.

Sterilite sells those little three-drawer boxes I mentioned upthread -- each drawer is 5.5 x 6.5 x >2 inches. I have four that are "stackable," so I've the two stacks of two boxes/six drawers each. I also have two items pretty much like this picture only in different colors:

https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3-dr ... lsrc=aw.ds

Basically the three-drawer setup, with slightly larger drawers, and they're not stackable but on top there's a fourth drawer-sized space underneath a clear or translucent dust lid. Those six little mini three-drawer things are now on my bathroom countertop (which, luckily, does have a pretty good bit of space.) According to the website, Target sells THOSE covered-top drawer chests for $8 apiece. So if those and the less-fancy, stackable, slightly smaller three-drawer sets were all $8 apiece and I'd had to buy them, that's still only $48 to nicely organize the previously cluttered countertop; all those little drawers plus the covered tops and the space beyond them handle a LOT of stuff.

I also have a couple of larger three-drawer Sterilite plastic chests; each of those drawers is about 9 inches wide by a foot long by almost three inches deep. One such drawer now holds toothbrushes and paste, one holds all our naproxen, ibuprofen, pain/heat patches and the like (this is the bathroom whose shower we do NOT use, so it doesn't get steamy and humid in there), one holds the various foot-and-toenail-related medicines and equipment, one holds band-aids and other basic first-aid stuff, etc. According to walmart.com, those larger three-drawer units are $10 apiece.

That bathroom has wire shelves set into one wall, so the larger Sterilite drawers are there.

If I'd actually gone out to buy specialized storage drawers and things of that nature, rather than using what I already had available, of course there are FAR more and nicer options than what I mentioned here.
Last edited by Jennifer on 18 Jan 2018, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jan 2018, 19:42

Sterilite is the market. I've got four larger sets of drawers I've been using for years. They're out in the garage now. Could probably use some re-organizing. They were on casters but the moving guys broke one a couple moves ago. And like you can't have just three casters because the drawers tip every time you pull one out. And if they're not all the same height stuff doesn't sit on top of them so well. So they're all setting on the floor and I've got 11 small casters in one of the drawers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2018, 20:22

Sterilite really is good, and pretty low cost but it lasts well for what you pay. (Not that I use it for any super-heavy-duty stuff).

Sandy, if your bathroom really is a mess -- specifically in that there's a bunch of stuff that really needs to be there. but nothing's really organized or convenient and you don't know where anything is or what you've actually got -- first, go through in case there's any old or out of date stuff to get rid of (mot likely there is, anytime "clutter" is an issue), then look through what you have left and see both how much of it there is, and how big it is.

There's usually a few bottles of big stuff which wouldn't fit in any drawer -- household cleaners/chemicals, and also toiletry chemicals like witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, etc. That's all under the sink. There's also a couple of large, "right on the countertop" things -- not just the toothbrush holders and toothpaste in our household, but Jeff's shaving cream, my skin cream, and a couple other items. But lots of things are not only small enough to fit in smaller drawers, but are of a certain "kind" -- I'm sure you tend to group your stuff together by type or use or whatever. Look over your stuff, then go to Target or Walmart or wherever and check out the Sterilite options they have in the home storage sections.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jan 2018, 20:31

Actually, Sandy, before I go suggesting you buy storage equipment I should ask: what is your bathroom {s} inherent setup in terms of built-in counterspace, drawer space, shelf/alcove/closet space, etc.? The situation I'm in now -- where even my smaller bathroom at least has a large sinkside counter and space underneath all that -- and the larger bathroom also has those large wire shelves built into an alcove. But that's far more and far better, spacewise, than what the bathrooms had in our previous two apartments together.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jan 2018, 20:34

If you put large cans and bottles under the sink, then it's not available for dead hooker storage.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Jan 2018, 20:35

The kitty paw prints all over the new carpet (indentations, not stains). If they made a textured carpet that was kitty paw prints everywhere, I might buy it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Jan 2018, 22:51

Highway wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 20:35
The kitty paw prints all over the new carpet (indentations, not stains). If they made a textured carpet that was kitty paw prints everywhere, I might buy it.
That's always a benefit of making the bed and getting the comforter smooth: the paw prints that appear within 5 minutes.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jan 2018, 23:01

Polishing shoes.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jan 2018, 23:03

When you're driving and you gun it through a yellow light, and you feel a bit guilty that you should have stopped, and then the person behind you guns it through the light as well and thus you are absolved.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Jan 2018, 00:09

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 20:31
Actually, Sandy, before I go suggesting you buy storage equipment I should ask: what is your bathroom {s} inherent setup in terms of built-in counterspace, drawer space, shelf/alcove/closet space, etc.? The situation I'm in now -- where even my smaller bathroom at least has a large sinkside counter and space underneath all that -- and the larger bathroom also has those large wire shelves built into an alcove. But that's far more and far better, spacewise, than what the bathrooms had in our previous two apartments together.
Counterspace: the toilet tank top and a little bit on the edges of the sink and the bathtub. Unfortunately the sink is above the AC/heating vent, so enclosing it is not an option. There might be a little room to the toilet side for drawers underneath it and beside the vent.

I definitely have a problem with one of us not putting stuff back, but then again...there's no place for stuff. I'm trying to gently purge...we're at one item/day as a goal right now. I'll measure and see if I can't get a drawer or open organizer so stuff can be pulled out and tossed back in.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jan 2018, 00:13

Midnight snack of dinner leftovers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jan 2018, 06:19

Sandy wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 00:09
I definitely have a problem with one of us not putting stuff back, but then again...there's no place for stuff. I'm trying to gently purge...we're at one item/day as a goal right now. I'll measure and see if I can't get a drawer or open organizer so stuff can be pulled out and tossed back in.
With Jeff and I (especially Jeff to certain extents), just having the dedicated space where we know "This is where item Y belongs" is the majority of the battle. And all the labels I made (again, I went solely for convenience/efficiency, and wasn't even trying for an actual attractive display/arrangement) also make this much easier. No more "this bag of disposable razors stays on the counter because there's no place to put it" -- now there's a drawer clearly labeled "Razors."

For all the bathrooms we've had before this, they were small and laid out so that having a decently organized bathroom (without major outlays) simply wasn't an option. Which may be one reason I went as long as I did without taking advantage of our current apartment's genuinely good bathroom-space setups.

Purging junk definitely helps when necessary, but purging only goes so far because there really is a certain minimum mount of stuff you need to own, in such circumstances. And I prefer keeping it out of the way not only to reduce clutter, but so it won't get dirty. (Plus, psychologically -- unless you're talking about objects specifically displayed to look pretty, or books/titles on a shelf, I personally prefer the look of, say, "a closed drawer" or "closed cabinet drawer" to the look of all the many many many individual things that drawer or cabinet holds. The main problem is just the initial time outlay (and money if needed to acquire the drawers or other necessary storage capacity) to cull, separate/sort, and label. Once the setup is done, maintaining it (read: keeping things in their drawers when not in use, rather than leaving them scattered on the cabinet top or shelves) is easy.

IIRC, Sterilite and similar companies also make free floor-standing cabinet/drawer things, if shelf and counterspace simply isn't an option in your bathroom.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jan 2018, 15:53

Sandy wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 00:09
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 20:31
Counterspace: the toilet tank top and a little bit on the edges of the sink and the bathtub. Unfortunately the sink is above the AC/heating vent, so enclosing it is not an option. There might be a little room to the toilet side for drawers underneath it and beside the vent.

Another thought: do you have any wall space that is not directly above a heating vent or anything like that? Right now, I'm essentially picturing your bathroom as similar to my old one in Loudoun -- which was absolutely horrible, tiny and cramped with no space at all (no undersink space, no sinkside or counterspace at all, not even the shallowest of medicine cabinets behind the mirror, and no floor space for anything except the most narrow, high-school-locker-sized floor drawer setup) -- I ended up keeping most of my items in our bedroom or the hallway closet when not in use. Ugh, that was horrible.

I generally dislike putting things directly on top of a toilet tank, both because sometimes you might need to remove the tanktop itself, and also because, obviously, it's too easy to accidentally knock something into the water and then ugh.

That said: if that's all the potential space you have, there are companies that make free-standing over/behind-the-toilet shelving units. I just remembered, we had one in our downstairs half-bathroom in Loudoun. I just checked online; some basic two-shelf models from Walmart "Mainstays" appear available for as little as $20. Say you get something like that, plus another $25 or so in three-drawer Sterilite chests to put on those shelves, and that's a decent amount of small-item storage/organizing space right there.

But if you have no inherent shelf/counter space, and little to no floor space to dedicate to even a small piece of plastic storage furniture, perhaps you can hang something lightweight on the wall. Use a studfinder to look for a stud.

For bathroom storage, I definitely prefer plastic to metal, wood or wicker, not only for cheapness but because it won't corrode or rot and is much easier to keep clean.

Another possibility (regarding individual storage units/containers): if there is a "Dollar Tree" store near you, especially a bigger one in a nicer area, check them out, because they often have a pretty good (though varying) selection of plastic storage basins/baskets/crates/trays/etc.

A psychological quirk I've discovered, regarding organization and clutter avoidance -- I say this as someone who is not a generally or inherently "neat" or "non-messy" person, someone who is inherently prone to cluttery messes and does generally have a lot of stuff to keep track of, so I definitely need to rely upon "tricks" or "systems" such as having dozens of clearly labeled individual storage places to keep ahead of the mess -- the concept of "a place for things" really is important.

Like, hypothetically: say you have three small items you want in easy reach for regular everyday use: a pair of tweezers, a set of nail clippers and a little bottle of eye drops. (Or whatever.) And let's say you've no "out of the way" place to keep these -- can't put them in a drawer, labeled or otherwise; no sticking them behind the mirror in the medicine cabinet -- I've discovered that if I'm going to just lay them on the counter or the tabletop, it's actually better to put them in or on something: those three items won't be sitting directly on the counter, they'll be in a little dish or tray or open-top box on that counter. Even though "little tray/dish/box/bowl, with three items on it" actually eats up a bit more counterspace than "those three items alone," it looks/feels neater/less cluttered, keeping those items on the tray. Or in the miniature plastic box or crate or basket. You don't put the tweezers "on the counter," you put the tweezers in the tray for that purpose.

In other words, paradoxically, sometimes "more stuff" is actually less cluttered than "less stuff," even outside of "closed drawer/box/cabinet" contexts.

If you want, you can take a photo of the bathroom -- specifically, the available or potential storage space (including walls and overtoilet space) plus what's there/needs to be there. I might look at it and get some ideas that way. It might be that your bathroom is small enough to keep immediate/everyday use items in there -- say, the in-use toothbrush and paste are in the bathroom, but all the extras are stored in another room or closet somewhere else -- but even if you have to hang a couple of Dollar Tree mini-baskets to one spot on the wall, there's sure to be SOME way to get at least SOME organization/storage space from your bathroom, for only a few dollars' worth of dollar-store or Target/Walmart purchases.

I'm actually about to go to Dollar Tree right now, mainly because it's the first nice day with decent roads we've had for awhile. (Plus I am still looking for a couple additional minor organizing things of the sort they're likely to have.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jan 2018, 17:36

Turns out Dollar Tree has little two-drawer chests, and colored transparent plastic shoeboxes-with-covers, for only a buck apiece. So I bought a couple more items, and now I'm off to play with my latest organizing toys.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jan 2018, 13:30

Whoa, mama, I am on a ROLL. After mentally rearranging and reorganizing Sandy's entire bathroom last night (place be lookin' sharp now, at least in my mind), I for-reals went through my own clothes drawers for an extensive purge/culling, followed by a massive re-organization. I still had a lot of big bulky winter-in-New-England stuff even though I haven't lived there for over five years now (!), so of course many of those items were faded or stretched out by now and even if they weren't, I just don't need as many any more. I was downright ruthless, culling a LOT of stuff that fell into the category "It's perfectly good, but I plain don't like it anymore." So now I have a giant-size garbage bag stuffed full of clothes for the donation bin, plus a couple stained or torn clothing items added to the ragbag.

Best/most useful of all, for the clothes that remain in the drawers, I stored them in a new way -- rather than my old method of "fold clothes, then stack the folded items in a drawer" -- meaning, when you open the drawer and look in, you can only see the one garment on the top of the pile -- I rolled each item, then placed the rolls side by side next to each other. (Not my original idea, but one I'd read somewhere.) I even developed a knack for rolling things like decorated/printed T-shirts so that the decoration or printing or whatever is visible at the top of the roll; I can look down and know exactly which shirt is which.

For the first time ever, I can open any of my clothes drawers in my house, look inside, and see/know exactly what items are available within. I still have to do a culling/organizing of my hanging clothes in the closets, and also my socks-n-underwear drawers, but any and all pullover tops and casual/everyday skirts (winter and summer), plus my entire [much smaller] supply of supercold winter clothes, are easily accessible and super-organized. I even have empty drawer space left in the dressers, too, despite those drawers holding far more clothing items than they used to.

I've always had plenty of clothes (except for temporary short-term problems like "When I first moved to Atlanta I lacked sufficient extreme-hot-weather stuff"), but I always used to have difficulty actually keeping track of what I had and what was available. Now that problem has been fixed. Similar to the bathrooms and linen closet reorganization -- definitely requires an upfront time investment to set things up, but once it's been established it's easy to keep up.

[Preens]

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jan 2018, 13:35

I am no longer an atheist; I believe in the Goddess of Organization, and she is ME. Next time I'm at a Gryll meetup, y'all can touch the hems of my garments, if you want.

I've pretty much finished cleaning and organizing the "visible" parts of the place -- kitchen, bathrooms, shelves by the front door, my dressers whose drawers used to be so overflowing with clothes, I couldn't always shut them all the way. Now I'm focusing on "hidden" clutter, namely our various junk drawers (specifically, a very nice antique marble-top bureau in the living room, and a large six-drawer Sterilite cart-stack probably similar if not identical to Warren's in the second bathroom).

Used to be, if you opened any drawer in that bureau, you'd see the drawer filled with large plastic shoebox-type cases, each with an opaque cover and crammed full of random junk. And if you opened any drawer in the plastic Sterilite cart, you'd see a bunch of junk sans boxes. Now, if you open the top bureau drawer and look inside, you'll see rows of plastic open-top boxes of a certain small size (Dollar Tree sold 'em four for a buck; I spent something like eight or nine dollars on those-sized boxes alone), each box holding various items easily visible to you, and you can see EVERYTHING that drawer contains, without having to first move anything around. The other drawers have similar setups with different sized plastic trays/boxes. And the plastic Sterilite-cart drawers also hold plastic trays and boxes in various sizes, plus the outside of each drawer sports various masking-tape labels identifying the drawer's contents.

Jeff and I have acquired various oddball things over the years; over the past few days of decluttering and organizing, I found five magnetic compasses (not counting the one I always carry in my purse). They are currently in the top drawer of the living room junk-bureau, sharing a little plastic open-top box with two packs of thumbtacks. Of course, those compasses are on the exact opposite side of the drawer from the open-top plastic box holding magnets and magnetic tape.

We also own several clips of the sort used to hold shut bags of potato chips and the like; used to be they were scattered all over our abode and we could never find one when we needed one. Now, all such clips are in a narrow plastic tray on the shelf where we actually keep the potato chips and other bagged food. Storing items in places where you're likely to see them when you actually need them -- what an amazing, incredible, revolutionary idea!

The Goddess of Organization is definitely a close relative of Captain Obvious. I just can't figure out if she's his cousin, his daughter or his wife. Hopefully not any sort of combination.

Jake

Post by Jake » 26 Jan 2018, 15:21

Man, if only Fruitbatopia had fanatical stormtrooper squads like the Shemocracy to the north, I'd be sorely tempted to engage in a bit of extraordinary rendition, so you could declutter my old game room / new hobby workshop.

Would you be willing to share photos of your object-arrangement successes? I crave visuals so I can shamelessly copy what you've done. :)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2018, 15:45

Jennifer wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 13:35
I am no longer an atheist; I believe in the Goddess of Organization, and she is ME. Next time I'm at a Gryll meetup, y'all can touch the hems of my garments, if you want.

I've pretty much finished cleaning and organizing the "visible" parts of the place -- kitchen, bathrooms, shelves by the front door, my dressers whose drawers used to be so overflowing with clothes, I couldn't always shut them all the way. Now I'm focusing on "hidden" clutter, namely our various junk drawers (specifically, a very nice antique marble-top bureau in the living room, and a large six-drawer Sterilite cart-stack probably similar if not identical to Warren's in the second bathroom).

Used to be, if you opened any drawer in that bureau, you'd see the drawer filled with large plastic shoebox-type cases, each with an opaque cover and crammed full of random junk. And if you opened any drawer in the plastic Sterilite cart, you'd see a bunch of junk sans boxes. Now, if you open the top bureau drawer and look inside, you'll see rows of plastic open-top boxes of a certain small size (Dollar Tree sold 'em four for a buck; I spent something like eight or nine dollars on those-sized boxes alone), each box holding various items easily visible to you, and you can see EVERYTHING that drawer contains, without having to first move anything around. The other drawers have similar setups with different sized plastic trays/boxes. And the plastic Sterilite-cart drawers also hold plastic trays and boxes in various sizes, plus the outside of each drawer sports various masking-tape labels identifying the drawer's contents.

Jeff and I have acquired various oddball things over the years; over the past few days of decluttering and organizing, I found five magnetic compasses (not counting the one I always carry in my purse). They are currently in the top drawer of the living room junk-bureau, sharing a little plastic open-top box with two packs of thumbtacks. Of course, those compasses are on the exact opposite side of the drawer from the open-top plastic box holding magnets and magnetic tape.

We also own several clips of the sort used to hold shut bags of potato chips and the like; used to be they were scattered all over our abode and we could never find one when we needed one. Now, all such clips are in a narrow plastic tray on the shelf where we actually keep the potato chips and other bagged food. Storing items in places where you're likely to see them when you actually need them -- what an amazing, incredible, revolutionary idea!

The Goddess of Organization is definitely a close relative of Captain Obvious. I just can't figure out if she's his cousin, his daughter or his wife. Hopefully not any sort of combination.
pics or you're still living like Fibber McGee and Molly
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jan 2018, 18:43

Jake wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 15:21
Man, if only Fruitbatopia had fanatical stormtrooper squads like the Shemocracy to the north, I'd be sorely tempted to engage in a bit of extraordinary rendition, so you could declutter my old game room / new hobby workshop.

Would you be willing to share photos of your object-arrangement successes? I crave visuals so I can shamelessly copy what you've done. :)
I can't post pics here -- I tried once, and it was something like "You can't post a picture directly to this site; you have to post it on a photo-hosting account and hotlink it here," and so I tried opening a photo-hosting account but that was a PITA for some reason I don't recall (EDIT: Wait, now I do: they made you take the captcha "not a robot" test BEFORE telling you the username you picked was already taken. I had to go through over half a dozen names and captcha tests before I finally found an unused name), but whatever that account was it's long-since gone dormant.

I could email pictures and descriptions to Jake, though. It really is quite simple: instead of "one big space filled with lots and lots and lots of little items," I have "one big space, subdivided into several smaller spaces, each holding various little items." You just need to know what size subdivisions you need (and thus, what sized bins and trays and boxes to get).

To pick a thoroughly random example: something like a two-inch carabiner will get hopelessly lost in a big drawer a couple feet wide, or even in a foot-long shoebox-sized storage box. But that carabiner (and its three or four siblings) is easy to spot in a little five-by-three inch box. I have twelve of those boxes (those were the Dollar Tree's "four for a buck" option) in two rows in that dresser drawer, next to a couple of largish items which did NOT go into plastic boxes but are directly in the dresser drawer itself.

I've also reached the point where organizing things is a lot easier, because many of the items I'd found in the junk drawers actually "belong" someplace now; I was able to move items into the appropriately labeled drawer or box. "This goes with the other band-aids! That goes with the other electric cords! This goes with the other battery-operated LEDs!" Etc. I didn't have to find a place to put things; I already had places to put them!

One thing about Dollar Tree, though:I think each store gets new inventory only once a week. The first time I went there hoping to find some plastic boxes I was sorely disappointed; that aisle was half-empty. I went back a couple days later, presumably just after the new stock came in, and the plastic storage aisle was chockful of stuff I wanted, at far better prices than what Target or Walmart asks for the same thing.

Jake

Post by Jake » 26 Jan 2018, 20:28

Jennifer wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 18:43
I could email pictures and descriptions to Jake, though.
Yes please! jakeboone at gmail dot com. :)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jan 2018, 17:32

Pictures and descriptions sent! I even took the time to rotate the pictures first, so they wouldn't appear sideways or upside-down.