Simple Pleasures

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jake

Re: Simple Pleasures

Post by Jake » 27 Jan 2018, 23:58

Here are the photos; I'll let Jennifer do the description and such. :)

Top drawer:

Top drawer closeup:

Middle drawer (plus foot):
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 01:05

Heh, I'll just cut and paste the descriptions I gave Jake. (Also, Jake: I sent you two more photos, showing larger things, since you said most of your stuff is.)

TOP DRAWER:

This is the top drawer of the marble-top bureau; there's a couple inches "cut" from the right side of the drawer, because I'm not tall enough to get the whole thing in a picture. And of course, the drawer is not pulled entirely out from the bureau; there's a couple inches hidden from view. I added the dollar bill to give a sense of scale; you can't really see depth in this picture, but the dollar is on the edge of the drawer about two inches higher/closer to you than the "Helping hand magnifier" on the left. Most of the drawer space is filled with 12 plastic mini-bins arranged in two rows of six; those are the bins I bought four for a buck at Dollar Tree.

TOP DRAWER CLOSEUP:

Closeup view showing there's a little bit of space between the two rows of bins; in that space, I put an unused windshield-ice scraper and two extra eyeglass/sunglass cases.

MIDDLE DRAWER:

Here is the middle drawer of the bureau (and, for any foot fetishists out there, a glimpse of Jennifer's right foot, clad in skintight black leather). Same dollar for scale. In the drawer I placed two large blue plastic trays (buck each at Dollar Tree); as viewed in the drawer, each tray is about 15 inches from left to right, 11 inches from the top to the bottom of the picture (again, you can't quite see the very tops of the drawers/trays). Each tray is also about four inches deep. In the left tray are our various mailing envelopes; in the right tray are five smaller plastic bins/trays: two more of the "four for a buck" bins on top, and three slightly larger "three for a dollar" bins on the bottom. There is a small amount of unused space between the two large trays. Also behind the trays, not visible in this picture, are a couple inches of extra space holding a stethoscope and a skein of yarn.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 01:09

Added organizing bonus: in the top left of the top-drawer picture, you can see the bottom drawer of one of the larger Sterilite tabletop three-drawer chests, the one with drawers 9 inches wide. (Not its permanent home; that was a temporary placement while I worked on something else.) I think that specific model of drawer has been discontinued, though; almost all of my tabletop drawers have gray knobs on them, as seen in the picture, whereas the ones I've seen for sale recently have no knobs.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake » 28 Jan 2018, 04:05

And the "larger things" photos:

Sterilite Cart:

Inside Rope Drawer:
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2018, 09:36

Yesterday I woke up, read a little in bed, had delightful chicken and waffles at a friends new restaurant pre open brunch test, had a massage, took a nap, played some video games while chicken breasts working in sous vide, went to the bar, went to bed. It was everything I want a saturday to be.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jan 2018, 10:39

Jennifer, the pictures are too close. I don't need to see your bric-a-brac. I want to see the storage system, but not necessarily the particular stored items. Especially I want to see how clean and tidy your house looks when everything is where it belongs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 14:36

Warren wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:39
Jennifer, the pictures are too close. I don't need to see your bric-a-brac. I want to see the storage system, but not necessarily the particular stored items.
Well, I'm not going to take everything out of those junk-drawer bins to photograph them empty. What you see is the storage system: like, instead of a large drawer filled with tiny items all shuffling around and getting lost, there's a large drawer filled with small bins holding those tiny items in place. (As for the bureau itself: with its drawers shut, it looks the same as it did before I organized its contents.) Or, a large plastic Sterilite set of drawers with masking-tape labels on them, and additional trays or boxes inside to hold items in place.

Basically -- for those people whose personal mess/clutter problems were pretty much the same as mine (i.e. "It's not that I won't bother putting things where they belong; it's that many of these things HAVE no place where they belong") -- I took and posted a couple photos to illustrate how to MAKE places where things belong, primarily by using various plastic storage pieces to subdivide "One big empty space" into "Lots of smaller empty spaces." And then make your decisions: "Okay, THIS little tray on the pantry shelf will hold all food-bag clips. THAT little drawer in the blue bathroom holds any rolls of dental floss. The larger drawer in the gold bathroom holds fancy bars of soap." Etc.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 14:38

Forgot to mention: things like that drawer with the rope and bungee cords -- not at all impressive to look at, but before I did the organizing system, I had the picture-hanging wire in one place, necklace-stringing wire in another, bungee cords in a third, rope someplace else, etc. Putting all this similarly themed stuff together is a HUGE improvement over what I had before.

(IIRC, the picture and necklace wires were in different drawers of the junk bureau before I moved them "to their place.")

The photo shows the top 2.5 drawers of a six-drawer stack: two carts, casters removed, one piled atop the other.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jan 2018, 17:34

Jennifer wrote:...picture-hanging wire in one place, necklace-stringing wire in another...
I first pictured this as garroting wire. Then I realized it said necklace not neck.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jan 2018, 17:52

lunchstealer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 17:34
Jennifer wrote:...picture-hanging wire in one place, necklace-stringing wire in another...
I first pictured this as garroting wire. Then I realized it said necklace not neck.
You just got it backwards. Picture hanging wire is ideal for garroting.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 23:52

The novelty of living in a neat and organized place has not worn off, even after all this time.

My next project will be to organize the closet where I keep my hanging clothes. But that has already been made easier by the fact that after organizing (and ruthlessly culling) the contents of my dresser drawers, I ended up with a couple of empty drawers left over. So I took all my jeans out of the closet and moved them to the dresser; no surprise to find the closet much roomier now that over a dozen garments (and the thick plastic hangers they'd been on) are gone.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jan 2018, 16:02

Actual conversation here today:
JEFF: I wish I knew where the metal glue was.
JENNIFER: On the wire shelves in the blue bathroom there's a basket with all our different glues in it.
[Preens]
[Preens again]

People who are inherently neat and organized would say that conversation was NBD, but for me and Jeff it was HYOOOOGE. In the old days he'd've spent however-long searching for the glue, and likely as not ended up going out and buying a new tube of it. But not now, because now I'm the type of person who lives in an organized home and knows where everything in it is! And I have been such a paragon for, like, almost a week now.

[Preens]

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Feb 2018, 18:26

I sent a card to my sister for her birthday. She told me that when she opened her husband had an odd look on his face and picked up the envelope to look at it. After she read my card she opened her husband's card. We had somehow bought her the exact same card.